Linked Events

• CdB Palmer's Rapids Weekend: May 24, 2008 - May 25, 2008

Author Topic: CdB Palmer's Rapids Weekend  (Read 8279 times)

Offline dave jackson

• CdBmember2020
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-0
Re: CdB Palmer's Rapids Weekend
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2008, 05:15:14 PM »
Is anybody driving up tomorrow to run the lower mad from Ottawa with extra space?  My car is in the shop and my plans for tomorrow changed so I'm looking for a ride at the last minute. My cell # is 255-6267.

David

cmnypny

« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2008, 07:08:22 AM »
Looks like I won't be coming.

My head is pounding and I am sick.

I spent all day yesterday working in the data center and it was most likely the lack of air quality and constant noise that did me in.

See you peeps next time.

Offline LouisD

• CdBMember2012
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +4/-4
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2008, 10:12:05 PM »
Looks like I will be picking up ChristianG Sat morning around 9h00 at Ivan's place.
And targeting a closer destination as I realized Palmer's for the day meant at least 6.5hr of driving in the same day... ???
Duhh!
LD
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 11:40:39 PM by LouisD »

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +5/-6
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2008, 05:50:32 PM »
Hello everyone.

Is anyone (other than Louis maybe) wanting to go to the Madawaska, say, Saturday afternoon, camp and do the Sunday river run with the club? I am busy Saturday morning but free afterwards. Problem is, I don't have a car. But I am more than willing to pay for the gas, however. Plus I have a new boat to try... So... Anyone? Let me know. Send me a private message and we can talk.

--Christian

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +5/-6
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2008, 05:30:53 PM »

Christian ... I will bring the Hoss.

Colin!

I forgot to let you know--I purchased Paul's Blunt, so you don't need to bring the boat (for me anyway). Plus I'm still trying to find a ride to the Madawaska... Thanks for the offer! See you.

--Christian

Offline LouisD

• CdBMember2012
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +4/-4
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2008, 10:46:34 AM »
Kelly, Dr ChristianG and new Chris,

The weather forecast looks good for the weekend, but for my scheduled activity to happen Saturday I need low winds (we do a hand-launch r/c glider - HLG- event out of some Manotick sod farm) and the forecast for the winds at this point are not looking too good for Sat but much better for Sunday.
So, I might have to postpone that HLG event to Sunday and therefore would love to go kayaking Sat.

If required, we should be able to fit 4 kayaks on my roof rack, head out Saturday morning and come back late Sat.
I know Kelly needs to come back Sat as well.
The other Chrisses could leverage some other transportation back on Sunday if they want to stay longer...

I'll decide on what I do Sat around 21h00 tonight (Friday) with the latest wind predictions.

LD

Chris

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2008, 08:28:43 AM »
The car is out of commission for a few days...

If anyone around Westboro/Nepean is heading up for the day Saturday and is looking for someone to split the gas let me know.

Chris

Offline Larry W

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +2/-2
Re: CdB Palmer's Rapids Weekend - BUGS
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2008, 07:53:17 PM »
Do you think there'll be any bugs at this time of the year?

;-)

S

It wouldn't be the same memorable experience if there weren't any bugs ...

Investing in a bug jacket or bug hat would be good advice. Hope for cool evenings since mosquitoes go into hiding at less than 11.2 deg Celsius ... at least in theory. Stay on the water most of the afternoon ... and hope for a slight breeze to keep the blackflies away.

And don't use insect repellent on those latex seals cuz the active ingredient will melt them away!!!

Larry

cmnypny

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2008, 08:53:35 AM »
Yes ... trust me the blackflies are out and so are the mosquitos.

My arms look like I am a heroin addict from my last weekend at Palmer Fest.

Offline Sean

• CdBMember2012
  • Class III
  • Rescues/Swims: +3/-0
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2008, 07:34:20 AM »
Do you think there'll be any bugs at this time of the year?

;-)

S

Offline Larry W

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2008, 11:10:33 PM »

I'm new to the club and wanted to find out if this is open to everyone?  Other than transportation are there any logistics that need to be worked out before hand (e.g. camping, reservations etc.)?

The event is open to CdB members and friends.

Reservations are not really required ... the club usually sets up in the group camping area ... on the left hand side as you drive in. I believe it is $15 for a tent or something like that, firewood $5. Camping ... well you sort of got to organize your own stuff for eats, shelter, and drinks. There is a source of drinking water at the campsite, and some smelly outhouses (bring some toilet paper), and most likely BUGS. There is a restaurant and general store in Palmer Rapids, but it would be better if you brought what you need or think you need for a weekend of camping/paddling.

Jessop's campground shouldn't be too crowded this weekend.

We usually gather for the evening around the campfire in the evening to swat mosquitoes, have a few refreshments, tell some stories, jokes and what not, and if you are musically inclined do bring a musical instrument.

Did I mention Bugs?

Larry

Chris

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2008, 07:00:14 PM »
Sounds like a fun weekend.

I'm new to the club and wanted to find out if this is open to everyone?  Other than transportation are there any logistics that need to be worked out before hand (e.g. camping, reservations etc.)?

I like the idea of meeting people from the club, having a day to practice/play and then do the first run of the year.

Any info would be much appreciated,
Chris

cmnypny

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2008, 06:35:30 PM »
Yep ... the frickin bugs are out.

I am trying to re-work my schedule to come out and play on saturday and party that night.

Long drive for me but hey this will be my first official CDB outing.

Larry ... I will bring the break down paddle.

Christian ... I will bring the Hoss.

Don't be a bunch of wimps ... lets go to Hass Hole in the afternoon ... did I forget to mention camera ... pics!

I had a blast there last sunday in my big ass open boat.

So did Carine and Grahame and I can't remember his name but he is the cook at BeastFest.

Not sure if I will have time to be able to do the Lower Mad with you on sunday though.

The weather forecast looks great

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/CAON0520

FYI ... the takeout road for the lower still sucks for cars ... not adviseable!

Offline Larry W

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
Re: CdB Palmer's Rapids Weekend - rides offered
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2008, 06:28:37 PM »

This is a first trip for both of us, so we're looking for some more info on what the Saturday features and the Sunday run are like.  Then, we'll decide on the Sunday river-run or not.

Sean

For those that are new to this event ... Saturday offers up whatever you decide to do. Generally there are enough experience club members that are around to help out on the river. Palmers rapids ... Class III rapids would be stretching it ... offers enough for an afternoon of phaffing about on the water ... eddy hopping, rolling practice, ferries, a short down river section... and hopefully a small play feature. There might be an attempt to go to Hass hole, but that would take some encouragement as most folks rather stay and socialize with the group.

The Lower Madawaska section for Sunday offers a great opportunity to get out for the first run of the year. Class III at the most with a pool to collect a garage sale at the bottom of each set. Actually the Lower Mad used to be known for the Class V roads but have downgraded in my opinion to Class III. From what I hear the roads are passable by car ... with only a short section on the take-out road that might pose a problem. The Lower Mad is also famous for the swarm of BUGS that greet you at the takeout or Bucks (bugs) Bay or anywhere else along the way. Also the flat water section at the beginning will make this a memorable day. If the weather forecast holds true then there should be no excuse for not running the Lower Mad.

Did I say BUGS ... you have been warned.

Larry

Offline Sean

• CdBMember2012
  • Class III
  • Rescues/Swims: +3/-0
Re: CdB Palmer's Rapids Weekend - rides offered
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2008, 11:36:14 AM »
Hi All,

Tibor and I will be going to Palmer's this weekend and are planning to leave on Saturday morning, and will probably camp overnight.

This is a first trip for both of us, so we're looking for some more info on what the Saturday features and the Sunday run are like.  Then, we'll decide on the Sunday river-run or not.

We have room for 3 more boats and 3 more people, and we'll carpool from Kanata, probably the Eagleson park-and-ride, not Champlain.

Starting time has not yet been determined.

Please reply directly to me and I'll post when we're full-up.

PM me or e-mail at sean.okeefe@simplysurf.net

Sean