Author Topic: New member looking for other beginners  (Read 1800 times)

cdbkayak2008

Re: New member looking for other beginners
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2008, 01:36:44 PM »

Thanks for the words of welcome!
I am less concerned with the actual paddling and rolling (swims) etc. than the logistics.
I decided to sign up for the D2E June session to get some skills and to become familiar with the area.
In the end, I might prefer the kayak that I can get onto/into my car without implicating too many other people. If any other small to medium-size women are looking to sell a kayak that would easily fit on or in a Toyota Echo, please contact me via the email attached to this message.
Thanks!
T

Offline LouisD

• CdBMember2012
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +4/-4
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 11:47:41 AM »
The club had several new members last year. Many of them were beginners and now moving into the intermediate field.
Since I just went through this newbie thing and got the more experienced paddlers a lot of exercise, I'll be more than happy to share this hard earned knowledge...and repay my dues... ;D
I am sure many others will say the same.

See you guys on the river...

Louis
(Also with a green boat that traveled more than I did so far.)

Robertm

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 09:13:08 AM »
Hi Terry,
My name is Robert and I would like to hook up with novice/intermediate paddlers as well. I don't have cold weather gear, but in 2 or 3 of weeks I will be paddling at Champalian on Thursdays. I paddle green boat and am looking forward to meeting you.
Robert

Late Ray

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 12:03:59 AM »
Hi Terry,

First off, good call on renting a few boats first before committing to buy.  It's best to demo as many as you can to see what works and fits you well.

You'll also have plenty of opportunities through the season to paddle with other club members (beginners and patient experienced paddlers).  We have a 'Newcomers" day on June 14th that is geared specifically for either new (to the club) or beginner members where there will be a large mix of paddlers from the club to help guide (and rescue) beginners.  BBQ & beers back in town afterwards.

cdbkayak2008

New member looking for other beginners
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 11:35:53 PM »
Hi,
I am new to kayaking and would like to connect with other new members (or patient club members) to get some practice in this summer.  Last summer I took the 5 day adult course at Ottawa Kayak School and went back for another weekend, which I really enjoyed. I have not made any decisions about buying a kayak yet but I suppose I will rent a bit before deciding. I expect that I will take the weekend course by MKC in the City in June and I might go back to OKS, or another kayak school for a another week. So, if anyone is interested in joining me, let me know.  I have quite a lot of canoeing experience, some sea kayaking and I'm doing ok in whitewater. If you have any tips for other courses in the city let me know (I saw the course that is on Tuesdays but I play softball most Tuesdays and for June I have dragon boat on several Thursdays).