Author Topic: Carp & Jock river status  (Read 1527 times)

Late Ray

Carp & Jock river status
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 10:15:57 AM »
I did a few after work runs the last two days if people are wondering what the levels are like on these two runs.

Jock: high and mellow.  A mellow C-II float trip down some simple wave trains as the water has flushed the run out a fair amount.

Carp: High and much more chunky than the Jock.  I would skip the long flat paddle from the normal put in and put in at the second bridge on the run.  This is where it picks up to a fun C-III run.  There were a surprising number of decent surf waves and holes in this section, although I didn't test how good they were for anything other than front surfing (the smell of freshly spread cow manure at the put in and the chilly water was incentive to stay upright and dry).

Keep in mind, the water is really high (my friend who lives nearby hasn't seen it this high), and as such there are many trees in parts of the run.  The two larger rapids both have trees downriver, right in the main washout flow, so if you think your cold water roll early in the season may turn into a cold water swim, you may want to scout to know where you want to be on the river. 

The trees are not downed trees: they are live, standing trees for the most part, so they are not spanning the river and are easily avoided.....but they are still in there.  Most of the rapids have wide lines so you can take easy C-II lines along the edges of the the faster stuff if you prefer.

-R
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 10:18:59 AM by Late Ray »