Author Topic: Cellulitis. I said cellulitis not cellulite  (Read 3706 times)

mudman

Beware the filthy zebra mussel....
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 04:10:43 PM »
The Rideau rapids are filled with zebra mussels now. If you run it without full length gear, and you swim, you risk death by a thousand papercuts..When you brush up against zebra mussels they cut, their shells are razor sharp. You often don't feel the cuts, you spot the bleeding first. Because they are filter feeders every little nasty microbe gets caught on them... So bring the peroxide...And remember to thoroughly wash out your boat before you take it to the Ottawa......

mikey

Re: Cellulitis. I said cellulitis not cellulite
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 08:28:04 AM »
I went through a bout of this while paddling in Ecuador. 

While I just thought I had banged my elbow pretty hard it eventually swelled to the size of a baseball and was in a great deal of pain.

Once we had realized there was an infection it has spread through most of my arm.  The bad part was that we were not near a hospital and had to wait to return to Ottawa to get fixed up.

I had to do to rounds of heavy pills 4 times a day to get it sorted out.  Nasty.

windowshade

Re: Cellulitis. I said cellulitis not cellulite
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 03:57:29 PM »
As I was the attending physician, I can attest that the cut was so small as to be almost invisible, but was bleeding profusely. I treated the wound with iodine and dressing (includind ducktaping the offending digit) from my First-Aid kit, which is always handy, but it seems that those bacterias chew up iodine for breakfast. Next time, I'll use a combination of alcoohol and peroxide...

Oh, yeah, I told you so...

Paul MD (Mmmm donoughts....)

;D

Offline LouisD

• CdBMember2012
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +4/-4
Cellulitis. I said cellulitis not cellulite
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 10:37:32 PM »
Been there, done that.
(Well, the cellulitis, I mean. Not much chance for me to get cellulite...)

Boy, this year, I go places...
My wife suggested I shared this one as well.
So enjoy the reading...

Cellulitis is a class of disease mostly caused by bacteria making it's way through the skin barrier and then doing bad things to you.
A variation of this is the famous "flesh eating disease", but obviously rare.
A more common form can easily happen if you go swimming with a cut.
Bacteria slides under the skin and proliferate.

Body respond with swelling of the area and fever.
If untreated, this can extend to your bloodstream or lymphatic system and turn into septicemia. Major bad.

From a textbook.
Uncomplicated cellulitis begins with a small area of skin that's red, glossy, painful, and warm to the touch, typically around a cut. It most often strikes the lower leg, but the arms, hands, feet, and groin are other likely sites.

Several types of antibiotics are used to treat cellulitis. The type of antibiotic prescribed will depend on the cause and severity of the infection and on other medical conditions. Uncomplicated cellulitis should start to clear up in just a few days. It's important to finish the prescribed medication even if the symptoms go away.

To avoid cellulitis:

* Wear protective equipment when playing outdoor sports - soil forced into cuts and scratches is a common cause of cellulitis.
    * Wear long sleeves and long pants when hiking in the forest; this helps to avoid scratches and other injuries.
    * Don't go outdoors in bare feet.
    * Avoid swimming in salt or fresh water with broken skin.
    * Keep skin clean with a mild soap.
    * Clean cuts carefully with soap and antibiotic ointment and change bandages at least daily or whenever the bandage becomes wet or dirty.
    * See a doctor for large or infected cuts or wounds inflicted by animals.

In practice, for us, I think that a good scrub, soap and shower right after a session at Champlain is a very decent habit.
Scrubbing the cut(s) in particular.
Cleaning the cuts with your first aid kit if the cut just happened.
Along with my regular and trusty first aid kit, from now on, I think I'll carry enough fresh water and soap to take a shower on the spot....
And maybe a hacksaw in case this turn out to be "Necrotizing Fasciitis".

Still a few more days of pills...finger is looking better. Can almost fit inside my nostril again.
I tell you the cut was small...
I knew I had to see the doctor when I couldn't remove my finger from my nose anymore...

P.S. Eager to see who will be the first to post a "I told you so" type reply...and of course wasn't there or seen anything of the sort even remotely...

LD