Author Topic: trip report - Upper Petawawa  (Read 1812 times)

Offline Sandra K

• CdBMember2022
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-3
Re: trip report - Upper Petawawa
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 10:15:10 PM »
Ditto to all above.

I was most impressed by the pristine nature and the amazing views of the horizon drops ahead. A bit nerve wracking at times, but amazing to paddle through. (Thanks for the help Bill!)

Running this river made me feel 'truly Canadian' and helped me to remember that the world isn't totally falling a part!  Seeing all the greenery (in the bush it was as lush as Costa Rica), the clean water and endless waterfalls. Not to mention the moose and turtle on the drive out. What an amazing river at our finger tips!

I highly recommend this river for those looking for a high adrenaline rush! I loved the Devil's Elbow - big waves!!

Thanks for a day to remember boys!

Sandra

Late Ray

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 12:13:04 AM »
To add to Larry's report:

Schedule and hilites:
-show up at agreed upon meet time to load boats (7am in our case as we weren't eating in Pembroke)
(Upper Pet was awesome)
-when the driver is just getting out of bed at the planned meet time, they'll want Late Ray with them so he can take the blame
(Upper Pet was awesome)
-unload gear at start of hiking trail and note the lack of bugs: things were looking good for our blood levels
(Upper Pet was awesome)
-compare boat preservation/carrying techniques for the long hike in over sharp gravel and broken steel (crazy carpets, rugs, jury rigged backpack methods)
(Upper Pet was awesome)
-watch Alex not be able to rig a boat carrying harness after just having done so (or at least watched his porters do it) in Nepal for a whole month
(Upper Pet was awesome)
-laugh at the fact that, deep in the depths of Algonquin park, you will find Wu-Tang Clan graffiti on the cliff wall at the put in
(Upper Pet was awesome)

-first drop: glad I left the camera on a tripod and recording as I walked back to my boat to catch the carnage to come before me
(Upper Pet was awesome)
-run 25 more rapids that, at this level, didn't contain a dud in the bunch.  I was literally whooping out loud through many of them.  What at normal levels would be an OK but un-memorable boogie rapid was still boogie, but with waves big enough to launch my creekboat completely airborne off the lip.  This was the norm, not the exception...or if it wasn't a wave, it was a hole that would eat your lunch.
(Upper Pet was awesome)
-speaking of lunch: eat lunch (I recommend a Dirienzo's "sangwich") and cast some lines.  Weather cools, and black flies appear in numbers thick enough to block out the sun.
(Upper Pet was awesome)
-See a fully tubed, green wave, like the famous #11 on the Zambezi.  Unfortunately, it was only 3' high, so no chance to surf the tube.  Cool none the less.
(Upper Pet was awesome)
-While staging at the top of one rapid, seeing a black Werner paddle working it in a hole for 1 1/2 minutes at the bottom of the "easy" channel.  Larry describes Mike's ensuing garage sale.  When asked to repeat it for the camera, he declined.
(Upper Pet was awesome)
-Watch Alex get stuck in the hole of drop #2 of Poplar falls (he claims he wasn't), with me right on his tail, landing on him and freeing him from the hole's lethal grip.  I am Alex's hero and move into the lead position to guide him and Mike safely through the remainder of the rapid.
(Upper Pet was awesome)

Statistics and lessons learned:

-While Larry's note of 11 paddlers, 11 swims implies that all paddlers swam, the ratio was around 50% for the group.
-when someone says it's been a really long time since they swam, they will get worked and swim epically
-surprisingly, "High Tower" was not one of the swimmers on this day
-on a trip like this, a video camera is gold.  Only 1/2 the carnage was captured, but it still adds up to about 10 minutes of footage.  Some footage may be jittery due to the camera man doing the happy dance.
-when boofing a waterfall with a sticky hole, it helps if you take at least one paddle stroke somewhere in the last 20' leading up to the falls
-when bringing less experienced paddlers along as highlight footage material, remember: they will tend to go last and often after the camera is put away, so you may miss the best swims.
-bring bug suits or juice with you.  Bug conditions can change throughout the day.
-if doubling the CMS level of a trip has this result, who wants to probe 200cms next year?

(Oh, yeah, the Upper Pet was awesome)

#1 lesson learned:
If the Petawawa gauge is running around 100cms, drop everything, get a crew and fire it up.  Soooooo much fun....easily my favorite paddling day in years.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 12:15:29 AM by Late Ray »

Offline robert monti

• CdBMember2016
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-4
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 08:02:30 PM »
There were some great highs this spring as I hit some of my favourite rivers, The Grasse, St. Regis Silver Staircase, Bonniebrook, Achigan, Upper Mississippi and yesterday, The Upper Pet. This was fricking the BOMB!!!! You know how you finish a day and you think to yourself that it ended too soon. Not on the Upper Pet. At the end of the day, we were all spent! This was 26, Class IV, pushy, ear-to-ear grinning hmmm maybe we should have scouted, ooops...no time, side surf the hole, maybe a garage sale, maybe not, rapids?.many with boat hungry holes around the corner that left you making last second micromoves (or not in some cases) ....kind a day. Plus there was time to cast a line and catch some bass at lunch time. Waterfalls, slides, horizon lines big roller coaster crashing wave trains, blind corners, should I check, oops to late, paddle hard, correction strokes, surf out the soft spot of the hole, punch the eddy line, catch the eddy....remember to breathe...ahhhh.

At the end of the day, most of the crew is ready to take the portage around Poplar Falls. I forget the my own advice about good judgment and instead of scouting Poplar Falls, say oh what the heck the river is twice the volume and I know that Lake Travers and the take out are right after this 1 K stretch -- perfect time to run it blind... flip after the second drop, roll up at the lip of the third, pencil over and go slamming down vertically into an exposed rock, : :o boat stops dead, body keeps going like a crash test dummy, Salto turns snub nosed, bone crushing pain shoots through both ankles, Salto splits open at the welds on the sides, chin smashes against front deck, boat topples over upside down, boater makes two roll attempts while head pinballs off a couple of rocks, another good hit to the back of the head and left elbow, I can see stars on the back of my eyelids, my ears are ringing, Poplar Falls does the Ground N Pound on Monti, I do the boaters version of the tap out and pull the grab loop, pop to the surface, get feet out in front, submarine through a couple of more holes, end up in a wave train, float out into Lake Travers on my back, while Adrian, who stayed center and safe, recovers my boat and paddle, as I appreciate the simple act of breathing AIR, waiting for my head to clear and wondering if I broke one or both of my ankles on the piton.  Backstroke to the beach, test the ankles, nothing a little ibuprofen wont deal with suitably.

As I ice a swollen ankle and munch ibuprofen like smarties, I am already planning the rematch with Poplar Falls. You know anyone who wants to sell me an Eskimo Salto. ; ;D

ticlem

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 07:12:46 PM »
Well put together Larry.  Thank you for a nice and entertaining trip everyone. :)

Offline Larry W

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +2/-2
trip report - Upper Petawawa
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 08:30:02 AM »
An advertised Class III-IV Upper Petawawa trip at twice the volume of water we normally run it at ... could be interesting. Where was the Class III stuff? Oh that turned into Class IV ... yahoo

Our schedule and some hilites
- leave town 7 am
- have breakfast in Pembroke
- phone Ray at 9:15 am
- Ray is going to be late ...  will take another 15 minutes ... anybody surprised?
- meet at the Achray park entrance
- raz Late Ray for being late ...
- drive a further 70 km to the trail-head
- hike boats up 5-6 km
- arrive at start of river at 1 pm

- first drop .. watch demo of how not to do a boof move
                - watch swimmer come out
                - watch boat recirc for about 5 minutes
- hey only 25 more sets to go ..
- run some more fun sets of rapids
- watch Mikee surf a hole ... watch Mikee get surfed ... watch Mikee's garage sale ... pick up float bags, outfitting, paddle, boat and Mikee
- and from another perspective ... flip, enter hole upside down, surf, rag doll, exit, roll up .... 37.5 sec ... on video
- some portaged last set of falls .... the fearless chose to do the last set
- dinner
- home at midnight

Statistics
- 11 boaters
- 11 swims
- a few good beat-downs
- one pitoned boat ... same boat now only good for the recycling bin or planter box ... Rob will have some explaining to do back at home.
- million of black flies
- billion insect bites
- 11 happy, smiling, tired paddlers at the end of the day

- one awesome day on the river

Larry W