Author Topic: Meet the Pros Weekend! Thank you!!!  (Read 1887 times)

c-racine

Re: Meet the Pros Weekend! Thank you!!!
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 11:26:52 PM »
How long did it take you to get that bag back in service?  Chris G and I were talking about how we should maybe have kept it in a glass case as a trophy for next year's Kip Rally.

A big thanks to Sandra and Colin for letting us take their spots, definitely a great week-end with the Pros.. I hope they will be putting together more week-end clinics as they had mentioned. 

Chris

GrahameH

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 05:25:52 PM »
I got the throwbag back:)  It's all cleaned up, repacked, and ready for another adventure!

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +5/-6
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 04:19:45 PM »
>> One great stunt was performed by Dr Chris dropping backward off the wrong chute on his way to boof Little >>Trickle...and coming out in one piece from in between large rocks.

Well, when all is said, apart from the fear of going down the scary rocky drops (backwards on top of that!), that must be the easiest line for Little Trickle: no more than two paddle strokes and there you go, slide right into the eddy... Sean, is that what happened to you too?

Trying to punch Sattler's hole was nice (I missed the tongue...), another line in McCoy's is always welcome!

That was an amazing weekend. Wow.

And now, who is it that has Grahame's throwbag, the one with the 'souvenir' Kipawa mud all over it?

--C.

P.S. I did send a thank you note to Joe K.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 04:30:54 PM by ChristianG »

Offline LouisD

• CdBMember2012
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +4/-4
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 01:42:24 PM »
It was an amazing weekend!
but, I must say I kind of glad it is over; my body needs to recover...
I think I squeezed about a week worth of kayaking in 2 days - at least as far as I am concerned...

I joined the little group led by Dominique and Guillaume and under their guidance and encouragement went _way_ past my comfort zone.
Thanks also to the others in that little French group on and off the river and old and new friends at CdB.
Offside rolls, back deck rolls, punching through Saddler/Sattler (how is spelling anyhow??), running the middle of Lower No Name twice in a day, 3 times in 24hrs. Catching a 5min (I think) surf at the top of Upper No Name.
Entering and surfing in foam piles like I never did - thanks to pointers from Guillaume.
And obviously learning several words of French related to kayaking...
I even managed a go down Little Trickle sans swim. Hopefully Colin has recorded proof of that...
All of this away from my big comfy GT8.1 to a much smaller and even too tight Centrifuge.

This morning, I quickly applied some of the knowledge learned this weekend and worked on the Centrifuge front section, to give me more leg room...
Haven't quite found how to reattach my right arm to my elbow joint, yet...

One great stunt was performed by Dr Chris dropping backward off the wrong chute on his way to boof Little Trickle...and coming out in one piece from in between large rocks.

Thanks to Paul for organizing this.
It was well worth the pain and efforts for you as well, I hope.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 03:09:04 PM by LouisD »

GrahameH

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 12:03:29 PM »
Ben Marr, and Pat Camblin expanded our limits on the Middle Channel. I had my first run through the Sattler's line, boof line on little trickle and ST Chute! Although these challenges were within my skill level, and at the edge of my comfort level, the encouragement and inspiration of these world-class paddlers was great!

PatB

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 09:13:17 AM »
What a fantastic weekend! Being in great company with fellow CDB members and Canada's best was an incredible combination.

I want to send a HUGE congrats to everyone on this board who brought their best and stepped up to try new things. It was truly amazing to see so many people pushing their limits and expanding their comfort zones. Thanks to everyone for creating a great group mood and encouraging one another so much!

I will write Joe from WT this week to ensure that my support is known and to try to boost the chances of this event happening again (the sooner the better!)

Best,
Pat

windowshade

Meet the Pros Weekend! Thank you!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 12:10:42 AM »
I just sent a note of thank you to Joe Kowalski to say that the CdB members who joined the Meet The Pros Weekend enjoyed their stay at Wilderness Tour and benifitted greatly from the awesome coaching they received. Joe Kowalski is thinking about a repeat performance of Meet the Pros in early September. I had a great time, learned a lot, was spoiled by the ammenaties and I wish to thank all the members who came to support the Canadian Kayaking Freestyle team. If you enjoyed your weekend and wish for a repeat performance, the please feel free to email and thank Joe Kowalski for lending Wilderness Tours' Facilities and the expertise of the Canadian Freestyle team to further our paddling progress. Below is the letter of thanks I sent him at joekowalski@wildernesstours.com

Cheers,

Paul Potvin ;D
CdB Exec

PS Sandra you missed a great weekend...

Letter sent:

Dear Mr. Kowalski,

I would like to offer my profound gratitude for hosting Meet the Pros Weekend. The members of Coureurs de Bois, our local paddling club here in Ottawa, were present in great numbers, 23 members in all. We immensely enjoyed being received by Wilderness Tours, enjoyed your hospitality, your facilities and your fine food. The coaching was way above our expectations! Your son Joel met us at the start and made us feel right at home. Ryan Wheytung coordinated the weekend, made sure we were always attended too, and it went off with a resounding success. The 80's theme party Saturday night was fantastic! I would like to underline and add special thanks for Guillaume Larue and Dominique Gauthier for their fantastic coaching! I truly hope that Wilderness Tours will repeat this event, so that we and you can continue to support the Canadian Freestyle Kayaking Team and give them the respect and support they so decidedly deserve. The next event will be attended by many more members, much due to the positive feedback we will give this original event. Thank you again for your outstanding hospitality!

Your truly,

Paul Potvin
Coureurs de Bois Executive member
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 12:15:02 AM by Paul Potvin »