Linked Events

• Rumors of a Upper Pet trip jul: July 12, 2008 - July 09, 2008

Author Topic: Rumors of a Upper Pet trip july 12?  (Read 2205 times)

Offline Larry W

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +2/-2
Re: Rumors of a Upper Pet trip july 12?
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2008, 05:42:37 PM »
hi

The water level has dropped since the first trip so there probably shouldn't be as much "carnage", but still fun.

Carrying vs dragging
http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/551497000ueGpOE

Is a good setup but it is recommended  that you set it up at home first... might need a trip to the local Dollar store for parts.
I used some parts from an old pack and will try the carrying method.

Larry

benoit.turcotte@tbs-sct.g

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2008, 10:30:56 AM »
Dearest Ray,

Bite me!  ;)

Seriously though, I will bring my video camera and if no one else has brought one I can stuff it in my boat.

Late Ray

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 09:56:59 PM »
Since I won't be there, who's going to pony up and bring a video camera this time? Hole carnage on Mikey's HDTV look sweet.

And Ben, this trip is waaaay to hard for you.  :)

benoit.turcotte@tbs-sct.g

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 04:22:07 PM »
I might be interested in going, though the Gatineau is looking good at 24!!

I have never done the Pet in that section.  I hear it is full-on class IV, with one class V? Does everyone take their creekers or playboats?

For those of you who haven't paddled with me before, I am experienced and have done a good deal of class IV and V paddling, so I shouldn't be a burden to anyone (famous last words!).

I would need to know where the Irving is to meet up with everyone.  I live near downtwn Ottawa (in Mooney's Bay) and could give Jeremy or someone else a ride.

Jeremy Poulin

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 12:42:29 PM »
Well, since I'm up at 6am everyday anyways, (unless i'm walking the dog, then its 5am) being at Irvings for 8:45 is fine with me...Heck, I could do it earlier, lol.  15min rule is always good.  And if people are meeting at the Irving, there are a couple spots between there and ottawa for people to stop, for those so inclined (personally, I would want to get home asap).  Sounds like a plan as is.
Only thing, someone leaving from ottawa, can anyone give me a lift.  The car is in the shop, (although there is a maybe of having it back by then) I'll split gas and driving, if necesary, and live near to down town.
later
jer

Offline robert monti

• CdBMember2016
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-4
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 10:23:12 AM »
I am in.  Would have to be back in Ottawa at a decent hour though. 

Speaking for Jo:  "I am in too!!"

hmmm ;) That should be no problem assuming (a) You don't show up half hour later than the rest of the crew? and (b) you don't entertain us by stopping to pay any prolonged intimate visits into any holes lke you did last time, punctuated with your leisurely downriver swim and the interior examination and enema flush performed on the interior contents of your kayak, following its prolonged and violent examination/assault and subsquent ejection and rejection from the hole. It was duly recovered down river by we, your paddling buddies, paddling very inefficiently as it was hard to paddle and split our guts laughing and cheering raucously all at the same time. Our mirthful state was entirely a proportionate response to the epic beatdown, complete with flotsam and jetsam scattered in every direction, that we just witnessed. But we did manage to recover bits of foam, gear etc, and Mike was able to resume his journey as semblance of his former self, not quite fully restored as, alas, some paddling tops and the paddler's dignity went unrecovered ;D. What was that another 15 min or half hour?

I can say this because I got my karmic beatdown/payback for the above mentioned needling downriver that same day (my boat is patched and I'm ready for the re-match). 

And before Mikey and me there were how many other swims????

Seriously though the road distance and the 1 hour hike in mean that, no matter how we do it, the Upper Pet is never a short day.

What do those interested thinkg about meeting at Irving Gas Station for 8:45 a.m. (15 min rule will be applied this time)

If we don't fart around we can get on the river by 11:30 a.m. That means we will be off by 3:30 (depending on group size and experience of paddlers,need to scout) and assuming no stop for dinner (for those in a hurry), back in Ottawa for 6:30 p.m. or 7:00 p.m.

mikey

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 09:24:23 PM »
I am in.  Would have to be back in Ottawa at a decent hour though. 

Speaking for Jo:  "I am in too!!"

Jeremy Poulin

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 04:05:56 PM »
Now time out, lol
There is no sneaky plan to drum up buisness.  ( to be honest, the less people coming in, the easier my day is, so....yeah, lol) but hey, as Rob so clearly demonstrated, boats do break, and when they break, they need to be fixed....so....c'mon down...if you want.....but i'm not even gonna say the name of the place to go...just incase, lol.  (although, someone, Paul, maybe, should talk to the them about prizes/sponsorship...free boat repair, or something, who knows....but thats one bridge im not gap ing, lol)
But onto a paddling topic, I'd be up for going too, lol.
later
jer

GrahameH

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 02:19:41 PM »
It's definitely been discussed.  Not sure who all would be interested, but I'd go.

BTW, I'm on to your sneeky plan of generating business for Canus...

Jeremy Poulin

Rumors of a Upper Pet trip july 12?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 02:09:51 PM »
I was talking to Rob Monti at work today (while looking at his boat, the trashed eskimo (which I have to say lives to paddle (or be paddled) another day)) and he mentioned a possibility of another trip.  Wondering if anyone is planning this, or it was just a hopefully maybe.  Rob, Bill, Larry, any takers?
Let us know,
I'm sure there's more people than me that want to do this run, after the great  trip reports from last week, lol.
later
jer
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 07:20:01 PM by Grahame Hamilton »