Author Topic: Trip report - Upper Petawawa - July 12  (Read 2746 times)

GrahameH

Re: Trip report - Upper Petawawa - July 12
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2008, 11:14:43 AM »
It's too bad that nobody else was trying to shoot too.  That was a sweet ride in that hole.  I can highly recommend the Mysic as a playboat!

The walk wasn't terrible.  Given the weather and the way that I wasted a lot of energy, I could do it easier if I had to do it again.

Oh, and the noise that the jeep was making was a broken exhaust hangar.  Total repair cost: $10, not bad considering...

Jeremy Poulin

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 08:40:43 AM »
More footage required!
Is it still gonna be up this weekend?
I'd think about doing the walk over, lol...seriously though.
Too bad you were so far from Rob's beat down...and even more sad, is we didn't get to see yours, lol.

later
jer

GrahameH

Jeremy Poulin

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2008, 12:39:23 PM »
As serious as this issue is, I have to admit Rob, I laughed my ass off reading your version of the pre trip report.  Well said, lol.
But seriously, a damn good trip (although I have to curse Bill, for dragging me out....I'm soooo friggen sore today  ;D

But seriously, thanks for dragging me along Bill.  It was so worth it.
Anyone that missed this trip....kick yourselves...Paul  :P

Have a good one guys,
until next time
later
jer

Offline robert monti

• CdBMember2016
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-4
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008, 12:26:32 PM »
Larry, it was very simple. Sometimes silence is best! I brought Jocelyne out and let Bill do the talking. Jocelyne surveyed the damage on the Impreza while Bill did his best impression of a woeful hound dog begging forgiveness. Jocelyne asked if anyone was hurt and when we said no, she gave me that look that tells me Im screwed (and not in a good way) looks over at my new 08 Legacy wagon that has less than 5,000 clicks on the odomoter and she tells Bill not to worry and that she is quite happy to drive my car for as long as necessary. So I make the payments and she enjoys the wheels. She is out doing errands enjoying it now while I write this lament.

For those wondering what happened.... After more than thirty years of tying down boats, you figure Schlarb would know not just to wrap the rope around the bar on the OUTSIDE of the roof rail. Yesterday was a lesson in what can happen when you dont.  We leave my place, head up the 416, merge onto the 417 and we are on the Queensway just shy of the Moodie exit when we hear sounds you never want to hear of the wind catching stuff on your roof rack at 120 Km per hour and you are in the far left lane because that is the merge lane from the 416. Bills boat comes flying of the roof, but he had looped the front rope through the security bar on his creeker. The boat briefly hovered in the air, tailing like a parasailer out and above and slightly behind the Subaru, probably scaring the crap out of the driver coming up my tail who backed off in panic at the prospect of a 40+ lb boat flying through his windsheild at 120 K. That split second moment was the silence in the eye of the storm. Then gravity kicked in and 40 lbs of kayak came down BAMMM! The full force of the kayak came smashing down on the back hatch obliterating the rear window into a million bitty pieces, tearing off the spoiler on the back of the Impreza and knocking in a few more deep dents in staccato fashion for good measure before I could pull off to the right shoulder.

After a brief stop to inspect the damage and re attach the kayak properly, we continued our journey to the rendez vous in Pembroke, in a newly styled open-air Impreza. An industrial vacuum, some plastic sheeting, duct tape came into play at the Irving stop to prep the car for the return journey home at the end of the trip.

What can you say about road trips...

In all seriousness though, it was a good thing that the rope was looped through a security bar on the creeker. If that had not been the case, somebody behind us could have been killed.  Instead we just have stuff that has to get fixed.

Offline Sean

• CdBMember2012
  • Class III
  • Rescues/Swims: +3/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 11:27:05 AM »
That was AWESOME!

And the drop was....

And the owner of the red-boat was.... 

S

p.s. I wonder why I don't go on these trips....

Late Ray

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 03:04:42 AM »
So, did someone get any of it on tape?  Here's a sampling of some footy from the last Upper Pet trip (for a slightly bigger version, click the Vimeo logo on the movie player):

http://www.vimeo.com/1325795
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 01:31:57 PM by Late Ray »

Offline Larry W

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +2/-2
Trip report - Upper Petawawa - July 12
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 11:05:38 PM »

A trip to the Upper Petawawa is usually an adventure and the most recent trip is proof, but this time the "happenings" or "events" started on the 417 long before we got to the river. There was the usual outfitting of boats for the portage up the railway bed. Rob and I used the back-pack system, Ben tried a yoke while others dragged or shouldered the boat. We could have driven up the railway bed since the cars fit through the boulders that blocked the entrance but decided against that proposal and hiked in as usual ... ahh those scruples.

Hi-lites or lo-lites

- leaving a paddle somewhere on the trail during the hike up. Another good reason to have break-down paddle
- there was a ton of blueberries on the islands which made forgetting a lunch a non-issue
- Ben's interesting choice of lines on Boulder falls
- Rob cart-wheeling at the bottom of Boulder falls
- rodeo winner was Grahame displaying his style somewhere in Devil's Elbow ... now aptly named "Hamilton's Honey Hole" ... where it appeared that ends were being thrown in a Mystic
- choosing to portage Poplar Falls half-way down. That is not recommended.
- Oh ... the events on Hwy 417 involved a boat, a rear window, a vacuum cleaner, a damaged wife's car ... which ultimately leads to the use of lawyer's skills to explain. Ah to be a fly on the wall for that one ....

by the numbers
- 6 paddlers
- only 3 swims
- not too many blackflies
- too many deer/horseflies
- leave home at 7 am
- back by 10 pm
- 1 great day on the river

Larry