Linked Events

• Beaver Taylorville Section: September 14, 2008

Author Topic: Beaver Taylorville Section  (Read 5063 times)

cleo

Re: Beaver Taylorville Section
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2008, 04:38:03 PM »
I uploaded video of the great white slide check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUV6LCHGUo0

GrahameH

« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2008, 10:35:48 PM »
Pics from bad video:

[attachment deleted by admin due to low storage space]

Late Ray

« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2008, 05:47:26 PM »
No, the only video I got was a quick experiment loosely carabinering my video camera to the bow of my boat and running the slide.  It was getting tossed around so the video is a bit dodgy.  That's the only time I brought it out ..... we were just trying to burn some fast laps then head to the Eagle.  I did more filming on Labour day as it was a slower, more relaxed run.  Unfortunately I didn't get any video the Eagle either.  I was actually hoping you guys rolled in there so I could hand over my camera to get some of the action while Eric and I ran. 

Wish I had it with me while scouting the Eagle, 'cause we saw one bit of ultra-carnage on the that would have made wicked footage.  Dude swam the big slot/slide from top to bottom, but seemed no worse for wear.  No heli-vac required anyways.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 06:11:57 PM by Late Ray »

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +5/-6
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2008, 04:30:20 PM »
Great. Thanks!

I e-mailed Travis, so we'll have the other guys contacts if needed.

--C.

GrahameH

« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2008, 04:04:50 PM »
Actually yes, I'll put it up later on this evening. 

CRS

« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2008, 03:53:37 PM »
Hey Grahame,

Even if it's crappy footage, it would be great to see.  Did any of the shots from the 3rd rapid (left slot that we walked up to do on the 2nd run) turn out?

Chris

GrahameH

« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2008, 03:48:48 PM »
John said that he had some good footage from when you were filming.  My footage is really shaky from the water and is basically unusable.

If proper time was taken, It's a really great spot to shoot.  When I go back, it will be more of a priority

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2008, 03:33:21 PM »
Ray, did you film anything last Sunday?

--C.

Late Ray

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2008, 12:22:07 AM »
There is even better video of the Beaverator hole.  A tale of caution....when you see someone with a 3 piece recreational kayak paddle, complete with drip guards, and a rec boating PFD, grab your camera and a rope:
http://www.americanwhitewater.org/photos/archive/16390.wmv

More video of that hole here:
http://www.americanwhitewater.org/photos/archive/16392.wmv
and
http://www.americanwhitewater.org/photos/archive/16394.wmv

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2008, 01:24:40 PM »
Grahame/John R., and everyone,

Any good video footage of our runs down the Big White Slide? And of the subsequent 'single-blade' paddling for Guy (I filmed it!)?

That was a very nice intro to creeking. I was really worried about missing my line in the first rapid (well, in all of them really), but I caught every eddy along the way and went exactly where I wanted to go. Too bad I missed the 8' waterfall at the end, I didn't know it was there and went down a shallow rocky slide (with like 3 inches of water) instead. It turns out, I noticed while drinking a beer after the run was over, that my hands were in pain, just from gripping the paddle so hard...

Travis had a good day, all I could see after each rapid was him, kayak on the shoulder, walking back up to do it again.

BTW, while we were scouting the first drop, some guy fell in the big hole and I distinctly heard a bang: that was his H2O paddle snapping in two... There is a good video (from another day) of the first rapid showing said hole:

http://www.americanwhitewater.org/photos/archive/16393.wmv

I had a chat with the dam operator. He was there when Bill had his bad swim last time they released water. He said that they were all hoping that Bill was doing well. I gave him my e-mail address in case they want to contact him.

--Christian

GrahameH

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2008, 10:54:06 AM »
A great trip for an intro to Aderondack paddling.  We had a variety of paddlers in a variety of boats do this short dense class 3/4 section.  There were big slides, narrow technical, and great boof drops.

Everyone had fun, no body got hurt, and it wasn't too hard on gear.  Although, Guy broke his AB paddle (again) and we did have a round of full-scale parking lot bumper cars (with strangely no damage)

CRS

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2008, 09:05:32 AM »
I picked up a Jefe, I'll give you a call this evening to sort out details.

Cheers,
Chris

GrahameH

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2008, 08:53:19 PM »
Cool, what did you buy?

You're more than welcome - give me a call to discuss details and options

CRS

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2008, 08:38:46 PM »
Hey Grahame,

Not too sure how may people you have heading down with you but I'd be interested in heading down as well, I can drive if needed and take up to 4 others (that would be tight in the car but doable).  All this supposes that I'm able to pick up my new boat tomorrow.  Let me know.

Chris

GrahameH

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2008, 08:30:07 PM »
Taylorville is 10 to 2, eagle is 1 to 5