Linked Events

• Beaver Taylorville Section: September 14, 2008

Author Topic: Beaver Taylorville Section  (Read 5078 times)

Late Ray

Re: Beaver Taylorville Section
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2008, 06:21:52 PM »
The releases are independent of each other.  Different dams.  Different release schedules.

Yeah, there should be some good carnage in the Eagle section, but will there be any water left by then?

--C.

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +5/-6
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2008, 06:12:53 PM »
Yeah, there should be some good carnage in the Eagle section, but will there be any water left by then?

--C.

cleo

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2008, 02:04:09 PM »
Was thinking that after the water runs out in Taylorville, drive to Eagle section to watch the fun on the steeps too.

Sounds like fun... did you get my pm a few days ago?

GrahameH

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2008, 12:01:47 PM »
Was thinking that after the water runs out in Taylorville, drive to Eagle section to watch the fun on the steeps too.

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2008, 07:13:20 PM »
Cool! After looking at the photos and videos, I definitely will bring the big boat if possible.

Oh, and yeah... Nothing worse than showing up at the border and finding out that someone forgot ID...

I'll be ready for Sunday morning.

--C.

GrahameH

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2008, 04:54:38 PM »
Cool, more boats means having to rig crossbars onto the factory rack.  It'll be the engineering project for the evening.  It'll be an early start - probably 7:30 at your place Chris.

The new one is definitely easier on the neck compared to the jeep;)

Remember your passports or a driver's liscense and birth certificate else you'll be left at the border.

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2008, 02:59:49 PM »
Hey Grahame, do you think you'd have room for me too? I'm dying to try the new car... I'd still like to bring the big boat, just to get more used to it. As usual, gas+food+refreshments amply contributed to!

--C.

GrahameH

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2008, 02:10:05 PM »
Not a problem Cleo.  Just have to be nicer to the Subaru than the Jeep.  Send me directions. 

cleo

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008, 10:42:32 PM »
I'm pretty comfortable in my EZ I think I'll be fine paddling that if someone is willing to give me ride.

GrahameH

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 04:08:44 PM »
My big ez was recently sold to Denzil.  It was a great river runner. 

It's only III/IV though...  It may be worth it to paddle a boat that you know you can hit the lines with. 
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 04:13:49 PM by Grahame Hamilton »

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 03:55:29 PM »
Cl?o,

Maybe with Chantale's boat (60 gallons)? For your weight, that's pretty big! You run some pretty big stuff and your EZ is only 47 gallons! In comparison: Grahame's Big EZ is still small at 51 gallons (if he still has it), my Booster is 55 gallons; a Jackson Fun is 54 gallons. So there are a few bigger boats you could borrow. As for creek boats, my Blunt is 76 gallons and Grahame's Mystic is a tad smaller, at 73 gallons, with the main difference is that creek boats have more volume in the back than playboats. You could rent one, or a big river runner like a Pyranha Recoil Large (Tibor has one, it is big). Anyway, below is Larry's description of the run. Since it is so short, we could always share a boat...

--Christian

Quote:

The first day on the Taylorville section is a good warmup for the weekend. This section is a good river for an intro to creeking. That's if you want to learn how to bounce off rocks or paddle in 6 inches of water down a slide. The entire section is only 1.3 km long and a normal run top to bottom only takes at most 15 minutes. By the time we got on the river, Alex had already done 8 runs of the first slide. Joanne was able to test her new Mamba which was purchased just last week. Ray as usual had his video equipment set up to capture all the fun in HD.

cleo

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 01:35:26 PM »
I would be interested but I would need a ride and I don't have a creeker... I was looking at some of the pictures and it seems some people run this in a playboat. Can anyone who has been down this section tell me if it is feasible to run it without a creeker?

GrahameH

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 01:20:57 PM »
Yep, the idea would be to leave before 8 and do laps

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 01:03:29 PM »
Hey... I can paddle on a Sunday, and I have a creek boat... The release is until 2pm but the run is very short (0.8 mile or 1.3 km). Would a trip be something like driving there in the morning, and doing a couple runs?

--Christian