Author Topic: WK Hometown Throwdown in Valleyfield Quebec. September 27th  (Read 1679 times)

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +5/-6
Re: WK Hometown Throwdown in Valleyfield Quebec. September 27th
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2008, 05:02:58 PM »
Good! So it's hole surfing then. I had a good time surfing Butterfly last weekend. It was a combination of steep hole+glassy wave... Weird, but fun.

As usual, I contribute to expenses.

--C.

Offline LouisD

• CdBMember2012
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +4/-4
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 04:36:27 PM »
Supporting the Crew people is good, Mr president.
I therefore assume you will be going?

As for rides, Dr Christian, if Kelly is going he can pick you up, as this is on his way.
I didn't enough kayaking for my taste last weekend, but I've got those darn kids to taxi around.
(I do not know what idea possessed me when I conceived them....OK I know... ;D)
So I have to see what is happening there and then make plans around it.
I'll talk with Kelly tomorrow about all this as well.

LD

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 01:32:44 PM »
So let's go? I'm in (says the guy who then will ask for a ride there...)!

--C.

GrahameH

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 04:43:50 PM »
It's moreso to support a CReW event as opposed to running the section for practice.  It's a nice spot with a great top hole. 

Plus, there's shuttle to set, and can do a normal weekend shopping run after the comp...

Offline LouisD

• CdBMember2012
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +4/-4
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 03:53:07 PM »
It's more like 1.5hr.
The spot is right in the middle of Valleyfield between a hotel in a renovated historical manufacture and a condo in a renovated building.
There are better play spots than on the Ottawa slalom course. More intimate since you are more in the woods.
So there are 2 waves are the bottom for beginners and a good hole at the top, next to some small hole/pourover.

Not worth the trip for an expert.
But for guys/gals like me, I'd say it is worth the trip.
Good for beginners to intermediate.
Water is clear and nice. No Canadian geese to infest the water with their droppings.
And a great place to learn WW basics, as if you are teaching someone to kayak, due to the bottom play wave and bottom pool.
Good eddy hopping to do and a few holes/pourover that we do not see in Ottawa to experiment over.
There is less water volume than the Ottawa slalom course, but due to shape a bit more river running workout to do.
The obstacles are more natural and varied and it feels more like you are scouting when you are looking around.
While the pavement and open nature of the Ottawa course makes it more synthetic.
(Plus Paul would be able to show off his latest kayak and not feel out of place.)

I was intimidated by the hole at the top last few times I went there by myself. I think I am ready for it now.

I do not think I would go by myself as the CREW gang is mostly early teenagers, (Gulliver's syndrome comes to mind)
and I would rather have someone watch my back in that top hole.
So we could load a minivan and have a blast.

LD

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 02:31:38 PM »
It's a 2-hour drive, so a bit far... Anyone interested? Louis, I remember you went there one day. Is it worth the drive?

--Christian

GrahameH

WK Hometown Throwdown in Valleyfield Quebec. September 27th
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 11:21:01 AM »
http://worldkayakblogs.com/throwdown/register/49/

From CReW:

CReW and World Kayak are hosting the last Seaway Valley Hometown Throwdown of the season, on Saturday September 27th on the Riviere St-Charles in Valleyfield Quebec.

This is a competition for everyone!
Whether you can "almost surf" or you can throw the latest moves this is the competition for you.
It is all about having fun and challenging yourself and your friends!

Where: Riviere St-Charles, Valleyfield

When: Saturday September 27th 2008

Men and Women Category A will be held on the hole at the top of the rapids.
Men and Women Category B will be held on Bob or on the mini wave and the bottom wave.

If we have more than 2 kids we will have a cadet class too!

We will be judging and scoring your rides (Points are awarded just like the pros but we will also award points for enthusiasm, smiling and anything you can do on the wave).

Prizes, from our World Kayak Sponsors and some local Sponsors, will be awarded for participation by draw at the end of the event.

You can register on-line at: http://worldkayakblogs.com/throwdown/register/

or

you can register on site at 12:00 PM.

Registration closes at 12:45 and the competition will begin at 1:00 PM (will last as long as it takes for everyone to get 3 rides)
If there is enough interest and enough time we will also hold a short down river race.

Robert Zwanenburg
www.cornwallwhitewater.com