Author Topic: 3.7 and rising-  (Read 2272 times)

windowshade

Re: 3.7 and rising-
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2009, 06:49:38 PM »
Mark & Christian,

Funny, as I posted my message there was a pause and your message appeared Christian! Talk about posting at the same time, so this is an edited version of my first post. I checked out sewer wave today (Sunday) and it's become funky again..with a lot of ice under the water and a nice ledge just after the surfwave if you flip... Lots of little ice island forming further out on the river where ever it's shallow. Kinda pretty! Deschene is still looking good though, checked it out too today. I guess it only takes a few days of real cold weather to change sewer wave or change it back if it's warmer, but deschenes seems to be pretty constant, go figure...

I think I'm going to stick to indoor climbing ;D until March, or ugh!!!!! go cross country skiing :-[

Paul :)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 06:53:07 PM by Paul Potvin »

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +5/-6
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2009, 03:14:54 PM »
So...

Friday, Ian and I put two boats (and one useable skirt) in his truck and embarked on a visit to our local waves. 'Embarked' is misleading since we didn't get to be in our boats... We got to Sewer wave and Paul (surfer) was there to point out underwater ice. It was VERY different from what we're used to. The water directly below the wave was an elevated shelf, 10 feet wide and about as long, of slow moving water. The second wave that forms normally behind the first just wasn't there. This reminded me of the water directly below the second wave at Champlain bridge at high water. There may have been underwater ice there, or not. Below all that was another V-shaped wave/hole. The first wave looked nice, about 10 feet wide, but not the kind where you can be assured of remaining upright the whole time. Since it was -13 C at the moment, we decided to go take a look elsewhere.

The Deschesnes wave in the left-most channel (refer to the photos in above post) looked great, very much like the Sewer wave we're used to, but the already small eddies on either sides were iced over, so it would have been a catch-on-the-fly only event, ending in a STRONG eddy at the bottom with an ice shelf sitting one foot above water, making it difficult to land.

There was nothing to do at Champlain. Although there is a very nice wave 30 feet to the left and below where the 2nd wave is normally, you need to drop-in from above every time.

In conclusion, if the weather warms up a bit and we find out that there is no strange ice lodged underwater, then Sewer wave would be a good bet since the waters below are calm for a few hundred meters. But a trip there would probably include a bit of ice breaking with an axe to arrange a couple landing spots... 

No photo, as the battery in my camera does not seem to be willing to push those electrons at -13 C (it had been riding in the back of the truck). Next time I'll keep it in my pocket

--Christian

Offline Mark.D.

• CdBMember2012
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-1
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2009, 11:10:24 PM »

Thanks, if I head out it will be to the sewer , Have to see how cold it is tommorow. but looks like next week will be a better idea if it warms up by then (warm meaning -5 or warmer) . , the level seems to be holding pretty good . 

windowshade

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2009, 09:56:59 PM »
I saw it today and it looks realy good, better than last week for sure, bigger eddies too, but the ice pack looks a bit closer though you really have to have a bad swim to get any where close to it.

BTw, I checked out sewer wave too today, big, wide and green, steep enough to hold even a short boat no problems and the funky water, ice ledges are  gone too. I guess the ice jam melted under the water. The wave looks really good too and the water is not flowing under the ice shelves near the shore. A better bet than Desch?ne I would say..

Paul ;D

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2009, 01:57:00 PM »
Just to confirm, this is where we're going, as far as I know...

--C.

[attachment deleted by admin due to low storage space]

paddler Adam

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2009, 10:28:36 PM »
il be there if i can make the time ???

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2009, 05:30:52 PM »
Well, Ian is going to call me Friday, but my guess is early afternoon, i.e. around 1 pm...

--C.

Offline Mark.D.

• CdBMember2012
  • Class IV
Re: 3.7 and rising--monday paddle @ 2 pm.
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2009, 12:25:42 PM »
let me know what time you plan to be there , I will definetly paddle if I can make it .

Thanks      Mark .

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2009, 10:18:03 AM »
Alright, the Deschesnes spot should be nice at 3.6 - 3.7. Ian and I are going to check it out this friday afternoon. Any other interested? It's a very safe place if there's no ice nearby.

I have an extra skirt.

--C.

Offline Mark.D.

• CdBMember2012
  • Class IV
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 09:23:56 AM »

yes , you are right , BYOB is closed for the winter , is all frozen over as there is frozen flatwater at boat launch entrance , ice everywhere.

CRS

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 06:01:19 AM »
I think there may be some confusion re: which wave at Deschenes Paul is talking about - to my knowledge he means the deschenes wave on the QC  side in the river left most channel as this was the one that we went to last week to paddle (not byob).  I don't know if anyone has checked out byob in the last couple of weeks.

Cheers

IanC

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 05:25:29 PM »
I should be free friday afternoon if anyine has a drytop and spray skirt I can borrow.  I think mine may be lost in the abyss of Air Canada forever.  I really do not want to replace my paddle... ughh

Anyway, if anyone has a spare that would be great.  I have a truck.

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 02:34:51 PM »
Well, level seems to be stable around 3.6 at Britannia these days. Sewer wave may be a bit risky, as it is very shallow and icy, but BYOB is safer, as Paul said. I am free every afternoon this week, and weather seems nice. If someone (with a vehicle...) wants to take a look, I'd be in! I have some nice warm clothing from Level 6 to try...

--C.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 02:35:24 AM by ChristianG »

IanC

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 05:25:38 PM »
Sorry I could not go.  I work during the day, but if you want to paddle some night other than thursday I am in... so long as my friggin gear shows up from mexico!!!

Ian

Offline Mark.D.

• CdBMember2012
  • Class IV
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 12:17:42 PM »

Thanks for the info  , I've decided to go later in the week, looks warmer then. hope the level holds.