Author Topic: I don't like fish!  (Read 1781 times)

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +5/-6
Re: I don't like fish!
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2009, 11:58:12 AM »
Wow! Good job Bill for picking March 21st for the run! The river was peaking as we ran the last drop...

--Christian

[attachment deleted by admin due to low storage space]

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2009, 07:38:53 PM »
I swear I saw Obi-Wan Kenobi on the river that day...

windowshade

Now that was worth the wait!
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2009, 06:40:53 PM »
Awesome video and ideal soundtrack. Kudos Christian!!! Jim has lst none of his skills, really good action shot of him going down the canyon too.
I'm glad I had time to watch all those paddlers before me. Gave me a better idea of which line to try...whew... :o

Paul ;D

windowshade

Awsome pics!!!!
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2009, 08:10:57 AM »
I can't whatch the video from work so I'll have to wait untill tonight! Doh!!!

Thanks Christian ;D

GrahameH

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2009, 07:41:53 AM »
Nope,
I could tell that i was going through, so tried to get the boat to go under rather than over and just plug through

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2009, 03:10:30 AM »
Now, Grahame, did you try to boof the thing? You sort of landed sideways...

Good idea about the posting. On Boatwerks tomorrow!

--C.

GrahameH

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2009, 11:53:57 PM »
It's always interesting to judge how bad a hole is by the amount of yelling and cheering from the spectators on shore.  If there's a lot, like there seemed to be, you can basically tell it's sticky, and there's potential to get worked.  The duration of the cheering wasn't too long, so it couldn't have been that bad.... Just had to wait for it to stop to signal it was safe to go next;)

Should post this on the boaterboard, cause it shows a bunch of KWPers upside down;)

GrahameH

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2009, 11:31:47 PM »
Good video Christian!

Should have tossed the camera over to me to have caught the ideal lines ran by Chrisian, Chris, and Paul through the last hole (by missing the hole entirely).  It's not very deep there, and I consider myself fortunate to have stayed upright (have a vague idea of the line, lots of speed, drive into the hole, rely on the super hero to pop through...) :)

Several paddlers are going to learn how to patch a drytop as a result of rolling there...

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2009, 10:35:50 PM »
More again...

Happy now, Paul?

--C.

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 10:32:17 PM »
More...

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 10:28:48 PM »
Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1tpKeOkGWc

Poor Chris. Had a bad day... Look for the two quick left strokes before he figures out that there is no blade at the end of the paddle...

It's a bit of an experiment--I padded the 3 minute video with 7 minutes of nothingness, in order to circumvent YouTube's bandwidth limit, so it's slow to load. But it works! The quality is much better than with other videos: I managed to get the full resolution.

--C.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 10:37:53 PM by ChristianG »

windowshade

Christian & Chris!
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 07:55:09 PM »
Where are those pics and that awesome video of the broken paddle in the hole?

Paul ;D

Offline robert monti

• CdBMember2016
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-4
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 09:47:46 PM »
Sure the salmon is a nice kick off to the season, but how about 19 km Class III-IV to start spring paddling? The Nolichucky in Tennessee is a perfect Bill Schlarb river - boulder gardens, eddy hopping, boat scout, pick your way down  (Bill - think costa rica).

Adrian had to work Saturday morning. Picked him up at 1:00 in Kingston. From there drove to Staunton Virginia last night. On the road at 7:00 this morning. Erwin Tennesse by 11:00 a.m. On the river by noon. Spring is in full bloom here. It went up to 21 C today. Beautiful sunny day. Nice way to kick off spring paddling week down here in the Southeast. At the take out there's a guy named Johnny and his partner Charlotte. They run Uncle Johnny's hostel for hikers on the Appalachian trail and the boaters. They do shuttles as well. So Charlotte came up to the put in with us and drove the car back to the take-out where it was waiting for us.  We met up with local boater Chris (who used to live in a campground by the takeout until he bought two acres by the put-in) and bombed down the river boat scouting only with him leading the way (there's nothing like doing a new river you've never seen and have no point of reference and some guy with Southern drawl you barely understand is describing the offset holes and pourovers and you're glad he talks with his hands because they make the most sense and you figure well there's no Class V here so I'll figure it out as I go). Adrian had some quality upside down time in the sticky right side of Jaws (he didn't do that twice!).  Chris pulled off about half way down the run to wait for friends to catch up and we did the rest of the run picking our own lines. Beautiful steep gorge the whole way, clear water - you could see bottom most of the time.

After we got off the river, drove the rest of the way to the vacation home we booked in North Carolina, did a shopping trip and then we fired up the bbq, grilled up some steaks and killed a bottle of Shiraz in our totally awesome bachelor pad log home (4 bd - 3 bath, 3 flat screens, 2 fireplace....) North Carolina gem (check out the cabins on greatsmokyrentals.com). There's even foosball, shuffleboard and WII and wireless internet (which is why I'm able to post tonight). Adrian's still wandering around the place wondering which room to crash in.  Wish some of you other Cdbers had made the trip.

Awesome day on and off river.  Tomorrow we are probably off to the Tellico. Will probably swing by Nanthala to see if there are other boaters around to be local guides etc.

A perfect day...well except for the reckless driving citation that Tennesse state trooper handed me on the I-81 clocking me at 86 miles per hour (I was in a hurry to get to the river officer). Oh well, I've done worse.

Now do I figure out the controls for the hot tub tonight or leave that for tomorrow... decisions decisions.

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 05:19:00 PM »
Pics+movies: comin' up! Thanks again everyone for the run, and for the entertainment... I have it on tape...

--C.

windowshade

I don't like fish!
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 08:08:40 PM »
But I loved the Salmon today, it was fun! Kudos to Bill Schlarb, (Papa Bear) for organizing this trip and all who came along! It was a great way to start the paddling season! Chris where are the pics!!!!

Paul:-)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 09:43:20 PM by Paul Potvin »