Author Topic: "Phaffing about" club  (Read 2226 times)

Offline Joanne

• CdBMember2015
  • Class III
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-2
Re: "Phaffing about" club
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2009, 08:06:09 AM »
Well, there's one unwritten rule that hasn't been mentioned. If you arrive late, at least recognize the inconvenience and make your apologies - sincerely! Then, you will still be required, deservedly, to accept a certain amount of ribbing, even if being late was due to circumstances outside of your control.

Last spring, a group of us were late a good 4 weeks in a row, some for real unforeseen reasons outside of our control, some for admittedly poor planning. For example, someone having to stop for breakfast and gas, without having factored that into our time or not having included a Late Ray factor. Anyhow, we were at least appreciative that they waited and we finally learnt to tack on an extra 20 minutes for the unforeseen, though I'm sure that Bill and Larry might put the emphasis on the word finally! So, I know what I'm talking about..

CdB is pretty notorious for the phaffing about, though, and when calculating a return time, I have  a CdB factor that I tack on for CdB trips - I guess I should call it the phaffing factor now. I think that part of paddling is realizing that time back into town will be unpredictable and planning around that. I would imagine that the unwritten rule there, is that if you have to be back in town for a certain hour, state it at the start of the trip to make sure that arrangements are made to make it happen without inconveniencing others.

When that time comes that Bill and Larry are late, I will certainly make fun of them!! I've been waiting for years now, but it will come....One of these days, it will come...

windowshade

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2009, 09:14:40 PM »
There still is "Ted Factor" grace period of about 13-15 minutes, but in the old days the cell phone hadn't been invented yet. A call was made at the end of that grace period to find out how long it would take the "lost souls" to show up. The waiting party decided to wait it out or at least there was no movement to ditch the lost souls.

We briefly discussed on the Petawawa trip today a new category for the year-end party called the  "Phaffer of the Year" award to go with all the other great awards given out.

Larry

Hi Jennifer,

This was the first trip of the year and we didn't have all the logistics down pat. No offense was intended to anyone by being late and we did apologize to everyone who had been waiting, when we were able to get a word in edgewise..., and I'm sure we'll have more efficient river trips further into the season. I'm surprised that you inputted negative intentions to our predicament, especially since you weren't part of the trip. Next time the use of cell phones, like Larry suggested, would be a great idea. Sometimes the obvious is staring us in the face!

Larry, I'm sure your trip to the Petawawa today was very enjoyable and more importantly extremely efficient, like clockwork... Good for you guys!

At the CdB Years' End party, if you wear the Ray Charles t-shirt, I'll wear the Phappher One t-shirt.

Paul ;D
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 08:11:39 PM by Paul Potvin »

Offline Larry W

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +2/-2
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2009, 07:50:41 PM »
There still is "Ted Factor" grace period of about 13-15 minutes, but in the old days the cell phone hadn't been invented yet. A call was made at the end of that grace period to find out how long it would take the "lost souls" to show up. The waiting party decided to wait it out or at least there was no movement to ditch the lost souls.

We briefly discussed on the Petawawa trip today a new category for the year-end party called the  "Phaffer of the Year" award to go with all the other great awards given out.

Larry

Offline liz edwards

• CdbMember2018
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-3
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2009, 03:20:27 PM »
The breakfast stop was a pitstop at the Antrim truck stop, suggested by me. Much like when we stop at Tim Horton's for a bathroom break as we usually do, except it was on the other side of the highway. Sorry to all with traffic, the delay was not anticipated.  We sat in it longer than I though. I didn't realize we had left you waiting.

Liz

Offline jennifer leichnitz

• CdBMember2013
  • Class II
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2009, 11:39:03 AM »
We all understand a  delay of 10 or 15 minutes, but 45 minutes ... especially when one factor was ?a breakfast stop?.  The meet time was posted as 10 am with no mention of stopping en route for breakfast. The timing clearly did not allow for stopping, people should have arrived with full tummies.

I'm with Larry. My mother taught me that being punctual is simply a question of being considerate of others. (Just like not butting into traffic line-ups.)

In the old days, the club had a 10 minute Ted factor. Perhaps it needs to be reinstated.

Offline robert monti

• CdBMember2016
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-4
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 11:56:04 AM »
Reading Larry's sermon on the mount all by itself you have to wonder, "What's up with Larry? Hmmm is this realy Larry? Maybe we ended up with Maggs instead?  I guess there's one in every club ;DBut then you see the Larry pics on Billy's website and the gentle and well earned teasing dished out on the other thread and you realize everything has to balance itself out. Besides life is more fun with instigators and provacateurs in the mix. Basically wait or no wait - bottom line is everyone there had a great day on the river. I haven't paddled in weeks and would happily have cooled my heels for awhile waiting for paddling buddies to show up for the pay-off which was a great day on the river.  When you lose half or more of your paddling days you really feel it. There's precious little that matches a great day on the river. A little extra waiting time here and there sometimes is just part of the wrapping you have to get through for the present that awaits. Don't give tangents and minor issues more prominence or more importance than they deserve.

Offline Larry W

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 09:32:24 PM »
Well ... isn't that wonderful.

I drove through same pissing rain, construction, traffic and what-not to show up at the designated take-out at the designated time.
But alas I guess this is new school thinking. Sort of goes along with the new teaching in Ontario schools about handing in assignments late, being late for classes, but who cares the teacher can't fail me because we get a second chance.

I am still old school, show up on time.

and now I know better.

Larry 

Offline liz edwards

• CdbMember2018
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-3
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 04:07:11 PM »
You know we all have to wait at some time. Some while people change. Others while people surf etc., etc.  It's just the way it goes. The construction was the big delay in getting there on time.  Next time we'll know.

Thanks Paul for organizing the trip. 

Liz

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +5/-6
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 08:23:37 PM »
Larry Larry... Some details:

Late arrival at River Run was a combination of
--perhaps too optimistic ETA
--1 person arriving a few minutes late at Champlain
--traffic
--breakfast stop
--rain
--bridge construction.

Late start on river was a combination of
--waiver signing
--some members somewhat slower at getting dressed; the only instance perhaps of 'phaffing about' that day...

I didn't notice too much time-wasting discussions at Champlain, the carpooling was fairly efficient. Same with the shuttle organisation. It's just that everything else conspired in the same way: delays.

Personnally, I prefer not being rushed, but since I'm always a passenger, I don't have much of a say in that, and I am willing to go by the decisions of the majority. One thing that was done two weeks ago was to bring the dry cars to the take out while those ready to paddle went to play at McKoy's. That's always an option...

Besides, we didn't end up paddling in the rain... Cheers all!

--C.

Late Ray

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 12:28:08 PM »
My influence is rubbing off, even on trips that I'm not on  ;)

Offline Larry W

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
"Phaffing about" club
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 10:45:35 PM »
Although the club is advertised as a paddling club, today I thought I was a member of the CdB "phaffng about" club. Now if you look up the word "Phaffing" in the dictionary you won't find it, but I will try to provide some context.

All welcome, meet 10am at Champlain Island or at 11:30 am at River Run takout. level is 17 now should be about the same Saturday, which is a nice friendly level, though cold water gear is a must. We should be back in Ottawa by 6pm.

Paul

Some folks did not do the car pool and met at the Take-out promptly at 11:30 am ... the so called car-poolers arrived at 12:15 PM. My only guess is that one or a few were "Phaffing about" at Bate Island rather than getting boats and gear shuffled around to the appropriate cars.
The drive between the take-out and put-in is at most 15 minutes, you would think we could get on the river much sooner than 1:15 pm. Again my only guess is some folks were "Phaffing about" rather than getting ready to go paddling.

The conclusion: this must have been the first trip of the season when not everyone has worked out their routine for getting on the river in a reasonable amount of time. It can only improve as this season moves along. I can only speak for myself, but I rather spend less time getting ready to go paddling than the time spent on the river.

Once on the River all had a great time. There were only 2 incidents that could be considered for honourable mention ... an upside down rock splat and a rather long swim down Lower no-name. You will probably hear the details at the next Pub night.

Here's a traffic construction report: Hwy 17 at Renfrew backs up due to construction at 2 bridges ... add 15-20 minutes to your travel time if you intend on taking Hwy 17. There's a BIG sign that says "Construction ahead. Expect delays. Mar-Nov 2009". Summer traffic will only get worse.

Larry W