Linked Events

• Riverrun Camping Weekend - July 18/19: July 18, 2009 - July 19, 2009

Author Topic: Riverrun Camping Weekend - July 18/19  (Read 7080 times)

Offline LouisD

• CdBMember2012
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +4/-4
Re: Riverrun Camping Weekend - July 18/19 - Billy Harris clinics
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2009, 09:53:46 AM »
Updated plan as there is a lot interest in surfing/playboating clinics.
So, this will be more focused on surfing/park&play clinic at the appropriate spot.
But if enough people care for riverrunning with Billy/Carly...

Cost: 40$ for a surfing clinic and 60$ for a riverrun clinic.
Meeting spot is under the covered area, next to the beach volleyball court.
Billy will help with boat ferrying.

Saturday, meet @
               08h00 morning clinic meeting time at above designated spot.
               13h00 PM clinic starting at meeting spot
Sunday, meet @
               08h00 morning clinic meeting time at above designated spot.
               13h00 PM clinic starting at meeting spot

So far we have Annie, Louis, Tibor, RobertM, Ian (Sunday only), JacquesT, John Buss and Dominique (not confirmed yet).
In various combinations.
So, if interested, let me know and/or show up the said location and time.
Those who have indicated their interest will have priority for the time slots they choose.

LD

Offline Annie V.

• CdBMember2016
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-1
Re: Riverrun Camping Weekend - July 18/19
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2009, 09:29:57 AM »
Hi everybody,

I'm planning to go to river Run on Friday so I can set up my tent in the dry.

I never really camped at river run so can somebody clarify some things for me please? I looked at the web site and it seems that breakfast is included with the camping. Is that right? Or can we pay a lower rate and bring our own breakfast? Also, I heard that some people might go out to Annie's place for dinner. Is some people planning to eat at the camp group? If so, can we eat in the covered area if we have our own food? Or do we have to eat in the rain?

Hope to see a lot of people there.

Annie

Offline David macdonald

• CdBMember2023
  • Class III
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-0
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2009, 08:39:52 AM »
Is anyone heading up on Sunday Morning to join in with the weekend pack.  I can't make it on Saturday but would love to still run the river Sunday.  Are folks leaving riverrun at a particular time in the morning that I could meet up with you.

Dave

viking

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2009, 05:39:02 PM »
Hey Sandra,

I'm heading up Saturday morning....not doing the clinics, but would be up for a run on the Sunday. I'm bringing a beginner, so Saturday will be park & learn.....Sunday we'll do a run.....

Cheers,

Chris

P.S. Hoping the weather forecast changes again......

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +5/-6
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2009, 02:32:55 PM »
Yeah... I do Bluesfest beer tent Friday until 8pm; could get to River Run afterwards. I may not feel like doing an 8am clinic, but running the river and playing along sounds good... I'd be happy to be coached by people like Billy and Carly. I need to be back by 3pm on Sunday, for more Bluesfest beer tent...

BTW, Billy was amazing in the new All Star on the Transformer last Sunday, I have some good footage of him. Larry came a close second.

--C.

Offline JackT

• CdBMember2016
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +2/-0
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2009, 01:56:50 PM »
I would like to arrive Friday evening. Wether I make it on time to Park and Play or not.
I am supposed to do clinics but I will definitely run the river.

Offline Sandra K

• CdBMember2022
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-3
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2009, 11:22:20 AM »
I could be convinced for park and play on Friday evening...depending on what's available. Also, have a few spare beds at the cottage for those of you who aren't looking to camp. I'd like to also run the river either Sat or Sunday. Is everyone who is going doing the clinics?

Robertm

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2009, 05:09:31 PM »
If this is a go, I would like to both miss the rush hour traffic and get enough daylight on the river to justify indignity of sleeping in the tent. Right now the level is all over the place both past few days and today (WildernessTours posted 1 3/4 at 9:10 vs. OWL 3 3/4). As we near Friday we might have better idea where&what and if there is intrest we can even go at different times and meet up.
Robert

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2009, 03:31:23 PM »
Info: today the Owl gauge level was 3.75. So maybe McCoy's park'n'play then? We can still check the Lorne, as we can drive up to it...

--C.

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2009, 03:25:57 PM »
``How about leave town at around 3 p.m. be on the water by 5 p.m. and enjoy some 3 hours of fun.''

It's possible--what's the level now? Is Pushbutton in? Waikiki? We could go there and check...

--C.

Offline LouisD

• CdBMember2012
  • Class V
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 03:00:57 PM »
I do not think I will be able to leave before 16h00 on Friday, but hope to sleep there and then maybe surf on Friday evening...that would be great!

LD

Robertm

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 09:22:53 AM »
How early are you going Louis? Is anyone intrested in Park&Play somewhere on Ottawa on Friday evening? Mostly for fun, but also to justify arriving at RR on Friday. How about leave town at around 3 p.m. be on the water by 5 p.m. and enjoy some 3 hours of fun.
Robert

Offline LouisD

• CdBMember2012
  • Class V
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009, 11:59:58 PM »
Weekend is over. Time to think about the next weekend.
The surf spots are definitively coming on and I had great surfing on Corner Wave and Left Side Horseshoe during the previous weekend and then on Transformer yesterday (Yeah!!). I am eager to get back on the wave next weekend and learn from Billy Harris.

There is more interest shown for the surfing/play-boating aspect. The 2 surfing clinics have 1 spot left.
If there is more interest on that side (or the other) let me know.

OK, time for bed now.
Hope to see you next weekend.
Planning to get there Friday evening for an early start...

Cheers and SUOTW
LD

Offline LouisD

• CdBMember2012
  • Class V
Riverrun Weekend and now clinics - July 18/19
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 04:42:52 PM »
Quick update on that weekend.
Beside cooking ribs or hot dogs by the campfire, I am proposing some high quality paddling clinics.

I've secured the participation from Billy Harris to provide clinics over that weekend, with his wife helping depending on numbers.
Billy does not need introduction, being one of the best and experienced paddler around and one of the best paddling teacher.
http://www.jacksonkayak.com/teamjk/teammember.cfm?member=billyharris
Learn how to go dental on the wave! Or how to perform those darn blunts, or just to get in that wave successfully.
Some interesting pictures and quick report on the last Champlain clinic Billy gave.
http://worldkayakblogs.com/billyharris/2009/05/18/mission-on-the-road-clinics-and-post-traumatic-quion-falls-disorder/

Cost:
40$ for a surfing clinic and 60$ for a riverrun clinic.

Current plan is:
Saturday
               08h00-10h00, surfing/park&play clinic at the appropriate spot
               13h00-16h00, river running clinic (Main or Middle according to level)
Sunday
               13h00-15h00, surfing/park&play or river running according to numbers

As you can guess there is a limited number of spots available, so let me know asap before the spots are all taken.
(Several already are...)

BTW, if you have a good idea, I'm open to suggestions.

Disclaimer: the clinics are not offered by the club, but by a separate entity - Billy Harris.
Usual disclaimer regarding responsability in fine prints applies fully.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 09:52:41 AM by LouisD »

Offline LouisD

• CdBMember2012
  • Class V
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 04:11:21 PM »
I had excellent ribs at the rib fest on Sat evening.
Didn't check if Bill was the provider, although there was a strange looking animal atop the kiosk.

Sexy Schlarby's Rib Fest
Mini Beast
Riverrun Camping Weekend
and there are a few other names that came up too...

Whatever the name is, that weekend is slowly approaching.
So, accumulate brownie points, refill the propane tanks, get the needed liquid food (beeers) and find where all those camping items disappeared to.

Target?
Riverrun campground for base camp.
Ottawa Main or Middle channels and playboating on the menu during the day while we share stories and smoked mosquito ribs on Saturday evening. For those with a bigger appetite, Bill may still have larger ribs to share.
But don't take any chances and BYOB/R/etc. (You can guess what the B and R stand for, right?)

Tourlou,
LD