Author Topic: Congratulations to Jacques!  (Read 1603 times)

Offline Larry W

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +2/-2
Re: Here's Kevin Mags' take...Rubbing it in...
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2009, 06:06:09 PM »

2. What wusses CDB are. 1 member showed up in time to sign up. 1. that is right, 1
I heard a rumour that 25 of them were on the river this weekend. But they chose not to help their club compete. Very Very sad. We set the competitions up so that you didn't all have to be expert boaters to compete and yet..... Well, you get the picture. Kudos to Jacque for making the effort and to Paul for attempting to rally their troops.

3. What great sports and competitors everyone was. People worked their butts off trying to win the relay race. Even when they blew the line and got washed downstrem, they worked like mad against the current to make up the lost time.
I'm sure some people in the advanced boater cross were nervous running those rapids on a regular day. For some it was their first time running and yet they went for it. Since kayaking is all about pushing your limits, I think they achieved that goal this weekend.

I wouldn't let Magg's comments goad anybody to do anything they are not interested in doing... Although he did single out the CdB, there were many other clubs that also did not participate. The GKC come up to the Ottawa every long weekend in the summer and the King of Clubs is a continuation of a pissing match amongst the GKC, KWP and the Peterbourough Crew.

This year they organized a more formal pissing match and extended the invitation to other clubs.

Looks like it was a fun event.

Larry

Offline JackT

• CdBMember2016
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +2/-0
Re: Congratulations to Jacques!
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2009, 02:12:51 PM »
......too bad this event was planned on the weekend of Beaver Fest (aka the best weekend of the year!!)
And I'm sure, because of Beaver Fest, you bought that Ammo at Paddle Shack, the one I was hoping was not going to sell until this spring by me...  >:(.
We'll talk about that boat this spring  ;).

windowshade

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 01:50:26 PM »
Mikey,

Is this your video from boatwerks. If so that is very impressive!

http://www.vimeo.com/6496388

Paul

mikey

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 12:41:57 PM »
As far as I know the only CDB members on the Beaver on Saturday were Rob Monti, Eric Clement, Joanne Tognarelli, Ray Canton and myself. 

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +5/-6
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 11:16:08 AM »
Ooohhh... We'll never see the end of this... Kevin's got us in his sights.

It's rather unfortunate that we didn't have a better showing, but I can't comment on that since I wasn't there myself... At least I wasn't on ANY river last Saturday...

Oh well. Next time?

--Christian

windowshade

Here's Kevin Mags' take...Rubbing it in...
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 09:37:49 PM »
Kevin M
Captain

Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:39 pm   
Post subject: It went way better than I expected   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Things about the weekend that amazed me.

1. How close the competition was.
The small clubs did very well and may have played the part of spoiler to the KWP's
attempt at beating GKC. If the smaller clubs had a few more people show up they may have done even better. Loosening the rules and allowing Western to bolster their ranks with non-club members helped to improve the competition.
GKC is glad of the win but we learned our lesson and immeadiately started training for next year.

2. What wusses CDB are. 1 member showed up in time to sign up. 1. that is right, 1
I heard a rumour that 25 of them were on the river this weekend. But they chose not to help their club compete. Very Very sad. We set the competitions up so that you didn't all have to be expert boaters to compete and yet..... Well, you get the picture. Kudos to Jacque for making the effort and to Paul for attempting to rally their troops. 3. What great sports and competitors everyone was. People worked their butts off trying to win the relay race. Even when they blew the line and got washed downstrem, they worked like mad against the current to make up the lost time.
I'm sure some people in the advanced boater cross were nervous running those rapids on a regular day. For some it was their first time running and yet they went for it. Since kayaking is all about pushing your limits, I think they achieved that goal this weekend.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 09:28:17 PM by Paul Potvin »

Offline Bill Schlarb

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-1
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 06:39:43 PM »
......too bad this event was planned on the weekend of Beaver Fest (aka the best weekend of the year!!)

That's what I tried to explain to Kevin Maggs when a few of us stopped in to watch the boat toss and z-drag events...

Bill

mikey

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 10:33:29 AM »

Offline JackT

• CdBMember2016
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +2/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 09:53:22 AM »
Thanks!

It was a lot of fun and I met a lot of passionate paddlers from all over. We definitely need a full team representing CdB as one of Ottawa river's home club.

windowshade

Congratulations to Jacques!
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 09:19:37 AM »
Jacques ;D was our sole King of the Club participant last Saturday and had to go with the Carleton Paddling Club because you needed a minimum number of paddlers to participate in the relay races. He did us very proud and, I hope ::), will be joined by many others next year.

Paul ;)