Author Topic: Sunday 21 March: Mississippi Pancakes and Paddle  (Read 1176 times)

Offline LouisD

• CdBMember2012
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +4/-4
Re: Sunday 21 March: Mississippi Pancakes and Paddle
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 12:25:34 AM »
Achigan?
It was.
LD

Offline Wendy Gilmour

• CdBMember2015
  • Class II
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-0
CANCELLED: Mississippi Pancakes and Paddle
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 11:29:29 PM »
Hi all

No confirmed takers ... so will be doing a family day in Lanark instead.   Hope Achigan was fun!

cheers
wendy

Offline Annie V.

• CdBMember2016
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-1
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 09:58:34 AM »
How far is it from Ottawa? I could be convinced too depending on how my day on the Achigan goes tomorrow.

Annie

Offline Wendy Gilmour

• CdBMember2015
  • Class II
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 09:16:09 PM »
Brilliant - keep writing!

Offline Sandra K

• CdBMember2022
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-3
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 09:24:27 AM »
Welcome back Wendy!!

I have always wanted to paddle this river...I can be easily convinced... (as long as I get my paper done...)

Sandra

Offline Wendy Gilmour

• CdBMember2015
  • Class II
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 08:06:54 AM »
Thanks Rob - look forward to seeing you on the river at some point!

On the Wheeler's front, my family and I have been going since it opened, as it is only 20 minutes away from our farm.   It has the best pancakes in the region, in my view .. and I can only surmise that poor Ray must have picked up a bug before or after his visit.   

cheers
wendy

Offline robert monti

• CdBMember2016
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-4
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 07:19:43 AM »
Wendy, geat to see you back on the CDB board! Have fun on Sunday. I know some Cdbers (Ray) who did not fare very well after we did breakfast at Wheelers. In future you might want to check out Temples Sugar Camp on Fergusons Falls Road - a personal favourite.

http://www.templessugarcamp.ca/sugarbush.shtml

Offline Wendy Gilmour

• CdBMember2015
  • Class II
Sunday 21 March: Mississippi Pancakes and Paddle
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 11:04:54 PM »
Hi all

For those that want a gentle introduction to the paddling season, I am going to propose a Mississippi run (Sheridan Rapids to the Playfairville Bridge), combined with a pancake breakfast for those that wish at  Wheeler's Pancake House. 

For those interested in breaky, meet will be at Wheeler's Pankcake House in MacDonald's Corners (about 10 minutes from the put in) about 0930 hrs on Sunday.   Bring non paddling friends and family: there is stuff to do for the kids and a museum to hang out in while paddlers are on the river.  (see http://www.wheelersmaple.com)

Meet time at Playfairville Bridge will be 1100 hrs: shuttle is only about 10 minutes, and the run itself is only 1-2 hours, depending on whether or not we stop in eddies.

The Mississippi is an RII: mostly current with a few rapids - but it is spring, so cold weather gear and confidence are a must.  It is a great warm up for stiff winter muscles ...

More details, confirmed timings and maps will follow once I determine interest ....  respond to the thread or email me at wcgilmour@yahoo.com

Sunday weather is supposed to be warm (15 degrees) but rainy: and next week we are back to snow.  So get out now!

Cheers,
Wendy