Author Topic: HOHW II - Is CdB participating as a team?  (Read 2518 times)

Offline JackT

• CdBMember2016
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +2/-0
Re: HOHW II - Is CdB participating as a team?
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2010, 04:06:16 PM »
HOHW II was awesome!!!
Lots of participants, lots of different types of boats... a really great event supporting our rivers and our troups.
Kudos Phil, Mike and all who organized it.

I'll be there next year.

P.S. Upper Pet on Sunday was amazing, totally worth the hike.

Offline Larry W

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +2/-2
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2010, 11:21:05 AM »
Hi

Not sure if I have to state the obvious but ...
For those particpating in the "Points for KOC", please indicate that you will collecting points for KOC as a CdB team member when you register for the race.

Larry 

In the end it was not necessary to even mention KOC at the registration.

Once the times were posted, Kevin Maggs asked me who were the CdB participants.
I provided the names and times of the CdB members that I recognized.. (they could have been past-members)
The fastest 6 times from each club were used in the "Points for KOC", in this quasi-friendly competion amongst clubs.
Points were awarded for participation as well.
Unofficial results indicate a 3rd/4th placing for the CdB

If I recall correctly Mike Mackay was the fastest CdB member, but that's from my terrible memory.

Next year ... time to get out the old Dancers.

Larry

Offline Larry W

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2010, 02:38:10 PM »
Hi

Not sure if I have to state the obvious but ...

For those particpating in the "Points for KOC", please indicate that you will collecting points for KOC as a CdB team member when you register for the race.

Larry 

windowshade

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2010, 09:04:44 PM »
Larry,

It was a 1 minute head start!

Paul ;)

Offline robert monti

• CdBMember2016
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-4
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2010, 05:36:25 PM »
I'm in and already a WO member through Ottawa River Runners.

Offline Larry W

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2010, 04:38:56 PM »
Bumpty bump

There has been last minute details to iron out and tons of confusion.
The will be a CdB team at least for the kayak/downriver portion.

Since the HOHW is Whitewater Ontario sponsored event .... they want you to become a W.O. member.

Cost: $5 to race
Team Cost: $25 .... actually the club is going to splurge for that.

KOC points: will only be awarded to persons that are Whitewater Ontario members ...
If you are not a member of Whitewater Ontario then it will cost you an extra $20 and I am guessing there will be a WO rep at the registration booth.

So who is in???

So far there is Annie, Joanne, Paul, Christian, Ray, me ....

Larry

« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 04:50:27 PM by Larry W »

Offline Joanne

• CdBMember2015
  • Class III
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-2
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2010, 07:49:05 AM »
Mikey here under Joanne's account:

This year HOHW is not just the kayak race but also a rafting race.  Those who would like to participate in the raft race can put a team together and register here:  http://www.five2nine.ca/hohw.

I think CdB should make an effort to represent regardless of water levels.  The fact that people are going to be showing up in Petawawa for support is simply the statement that we are trying to achieve by putting on this event.  It is to show the town how important this resource is for recreation, conservation, and to the town in general.

The fact that this is a 'King of Clubs' event give much more reason for the CdB club to come out and represent.  Put your voice out there and paddle your heart out.  There are a lot of great paddlers in this club and they have every reason to enter the kayak race as well.

Not to mention that there will be a great party following all the event. 

Mikey

Offline Larry W

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010, 11:11:28 PM »
Competitive??? Not really, Ok maybe a bit.... but you did have 2 minute head start, an excellent run through Lovers but you were caught diddling around in an eddy at the end. After all that time spent at the Pump House .... things that make you go hmmm.

Larry

Anyone who thinks Larry isn't competitive should've seen him last year paddling his but off in order to catch up with me as I was floating along oblivious of who was behind me.... ;D

Paul ;D

windowshade

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 09:00:09 PM »
Anyone who thinks Larry isn't competitive should've seen him last year paddling his but off in order to catch up with me as I was floating along oblivious of who was behind me.... ;D

Paul ;D

Offline Larry W

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 11:57:39 AM »
Hi

The water level on the Petawawa is presently holding steady at a good level ... but won't be as high as last years HOHW. The lower water level would make the run down through Railway less pushy, but Lovers becomes slightly more challenging. At higher water levels Lovers sort of flattens out. Let's hope for better weather for this year's HOHW

Showing up Maggs? That should not be your primary reason to be going to the event, be it a competitor, volunteer or a spectator

KOC on Labour day weekend. Hey kudos to all the CdB members that want to take part. Last year the Club paid the entry fee. So if you are interested, it would be a good idea to get yourselves organized. This year the KOC events also coincides with the Garb-fest that occurs on the Sunday... yay
It's only April, but I plan to be celebrating Christmas Labour day weekend paddling the Beaver.

Larry

Offline robert monti

• CdBMember2016
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-4
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 10:30:46 AM »
Mackfest cancelled. Capital Cup cancelled. August water levels.  Hopefully the Pet holds enough water and just from names I recognize from Phitty's posting on Boatwerks about pre-registration for the kayak race that Cdb members may well represent the highest turn out of any paddling club at HOHW.  So for those of you that have an interest in the King of Clubs stuff and Maggs' taunts about CDB, get out and paddle. For those that don't the Pet is a great place to paddle anyway and nothing else likely conflicts on those days. Do what we do - paddle.

Maggs has earned some mileage at this Club's expense, talking smack, because CDB didn't represent at K of C on Labour Day weekend. Fact is Labour Day weekend is Christmas for paddlers on the Beaver because Moshier releases one day a year. Any regular Class IV+ paddler who has the time and opportunity to paddle the release days on the Beaver is not going to give it up for cardboad races, kayak tossing on our home river that we can paddle every weekend of the season if we want. K of C conflicts with a special day in the river runners' schedule.

HOHW doesn't.  Great rapids. Great history. Easy drive. Easy shuttle. Plus, you are making a statement to the local community that this resource ought to be preserved and not dammed.  All the tough stuff - organizing the event - has been taken care of by other concerned paddlers. You just need to show up and do what you like to do most weekends anyway. Might as well be the Pet.

I hope to see many familiar faces at HOHW. Bonus to those who want to show up Maggs, the suggestion can be made, backed by proof, that turnout at K of C might be better with better date planning. 

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +5/-6
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 02:23:53 PM »
I'd like to participate as well. If there's water...

--C.

windowshade

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 11:10:46 PM »
We're going Saturday!

Paul ;D

Offline Larry W

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 09:30:58 PM »
hi

There will be probably other CdB members participating in the down-river kayaking/canoeing event(s) and whatever stuff that weekend. The people that particpated last year had fun.
This year ... unless it rains for 40days and nights, it will be hell cuz there won't be any high water. Last year we had both Hell and high water as most folks froze in the pissing rain.

As for entering as a "team" ... well I think during registration there will be a place to write your paddling club on the form if you wish.

Larry

ianbowles