Author Topic: Sat July 10th - Downriver adventure/fishing derby  (Read 2260 times)

Offline Larry W

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +2/-2
Downriver adventure/fishing derby - The Winners
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2010, 08:06:23 PM »
hi

That was a fun day ... Many club members out there today, but only a several decided to actually fish.... and fishing swimmers out of the Lorne doesn't count.

All participants received a small prize.

Honourable mention to the Sandra for the loudest squeal when the fish almost jumped into her boat.

But the winners are:
Colin: most fish caught(10-11 bass/pike), using a simple line/float on a stick setup. Unfortunately the fish were not keeper size.
Ray: largest fish, good for dinner - 2 pound pike caught in a place he won't reveal
enjoy the wine ...

Until next year ....

Larry

River: Ottawa Main Channel
Meet time and place: 10:30 am @ the River Run gate house....

Kayak Angling is becoming a great spot these days ... or another excuse to get out of doing weekend chores. Everyone has heard of "Surf and Turf", well this day can be called "Surf and Play"

Fishing derby? Why not ... Ontario's Family Fishing Week July 3-11 provides an opportunity to fish without a fishing license.
This is an early post, which allows people interested to get their fishing gear ready. The trick is to able to carry the fishing gear in your boat of choice, but also capable of running/playing the river. Canadian Tire has a bunch of stuff on sale this week ... or just be creative.

Prizes and bragging rights are up for grabs.

For those folks only interested in the play portion, you are more than welcome to join in and cheer on the fishing folks.

More details and fishing tips later..... Maybe Ray C can provide some of his fishing knowledge.

Larry

Offline KellyM

• CDB Executive
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-1
Re: Sat July 10th - Downriver adventure/fishing derby
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2010, 08:37:47 PM »
How 'bout carrying one of these in your boat? ;D

[attachment deleted by admin due to low storage space]
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 08:39:43 PM by KellyM »

Offline Larry W

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2010, 07:54:10 PM »
Thanks for the tips Ray C....

Other bait choices .... wieners, miniature corn, bread ball ...
Or go for the real thing and use worms. It's raining now so there should be plenty out for morning pickings. Now imagine rolling with a bunch worms in your boat.

And for those who want make a fishing stick on the fly ... I will bring some extra fishing line, swivels and jig assemblies.

Keep an eye on Ray.. he knows all the secret spots.

Larry

For all those without a rod, as Sandra mentioned, last time she caught the biggest fish with nothing more than a hook with some line wrapped around a piece of wood.  And yes, don't keep a catfish in your boat, near your legs if you plan on rolling...them barbs can stick yah!  Catfish are tasty though and they make up something like 80% of the fish in the Ottawa, so there's no shortage if you are looking for a dinner.

Here's some tips for those looking to wet a line on Saturday:
-there's plenty of catfish (which is what Sandra won with).  just drop a hook with a worm, or some other bit of food to the bottom of an eddie and you are pretty well guaranteed to get one.  Good spots are river right eddie at the bottom of Coli, or the river right corner after the swimmer's recovery rock after McKoys
-casting lures in the run out of any rapid (brain douche, pushbutton, Mckoys) might get you a walleye and you will get you plenty of bass, but nothing too big.  Try trolling if you can by ferrying back and forth in the run out of some of the rapids
-I know where to find big bass, but I ain't telling where to find them
-Little Picky down to Mckoys has a mix of everything
-I've seen Musky above Mckoys
-It's the Ottawa so you might even catch a sturgeon (I've hooked one in Garvin's)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 08:44:22 PM by Larry W »

Offline liz edwards

• CdbMember2018
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-3
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2010, 07:41:17 PM »
I have a can of salmon with a pull top....and already mixed with mayonnaise.  $1.59 at Metro. They don't put up much of a fight and are comfortable in a drybag.

Late Ray

« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2010, 07:34:04 PM »
For all those without a rod, as Sandra mentioned, last time she caught the biggest fish with nothing more than a hook with some line wrapped around a piece of wood.  And yes, don't keep a catfish in your boat, near your legs if you plan on rolling...them barbs can stick yah!  Catfish are tasty though and they make up something like 80% of the fish in the Ottawa, so there's no shortage if you are looking for a dinner.

Here's some tips for those looking to wet a line on Saturday:
-there's plenty of catfish (which is what Sandra won with).  just drop a hook with a worm, or some other bit of food to the bottom of an eddie and you are pretty well guaranteed to get one.  Good spots are river right eddie at the bottom of Coli, or the river right corner after the swimmer's recovery rock after McKoys
-casting lures in the run out of any rapid (brain douche, pushbutton, Mckoys) might get you a walleye and you will get you plenty of bass, but nothing too big.  Try trolling if you can by ferrying back and forth in the run out of some of the rapids
-I know where to find big bass, but I ain't telling where to find them
-Little Picky down to Mckoys has a mix of everything
-I've seen Musky above Mckoys
-It's the Ottawa so you might even catch a sturgeon (I've hooked one in Garvin's)

duke

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2010, 06:35:20 PM »
I'm in.  See you guys at the park and ride around 8:45.  I only own a fly rod (2 piece but still too long for my boat) so I guess I'll be in the no fishing group.

Offline Sandra K

• CdBMember2022
  • Class IV
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2010, 05:21:02 PM »
Colin and I will be there with hooks on. Last time I caught the biggest fish. Then I screamed and Ray brought it in for me. Yep. I am a girl in my red and white boat when it comes to fishing.

I also remember Ray running rapids with a fish in his boat and apparently the barbs hurt when they stab your leg!
Happy Paddishing

Sandra

Offline Micratech

• CdBMember2015
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2010, 02:29:51 PM »
OK - looks like there's no takers for a later start...  If I'm not at Eagleson by 9 I'll meet the gang
at River Run 10:30.

Mike R.
823-4385

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +5/-6
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2010, 02:26:41 PM »
Ok, we'll be there too! But no fishing... Eagleson around 8:45.

windowshade

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2010, 12:58:23 PM »
I'm in. I'll be at the Eagleston Park and ride at 8:45am, for those wishing to carpool both ways...

Paul ;)

Offline liz edwards

• CdbMember2018
  • Class IV
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2010, 10:14:40 AM »
I'm coming and I'll meet people at the park and ride. I'd love the company down to the river but I'm continuing on to Bancroft afterward so the person would need a ride back.

Maryse_d

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2010, 10:01:45 AM »
I?m with Kelly on this... I?ll stay away from pointy objects and hooks but I will cheer for the fisherman/woman!! 

If anybody wants to leave from the Quebec side (Chelsea) let me know. If not I?ll meet you at Eagleson Park and Ride a bit before 9 am.

Cheers!

M

Offline KellyM

• CDB Executive
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-1
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 10:52:23 PM »
Hi Larry

I'm in but just to be a voyeur of the fishing end of it. Probably not a good idea for me to have fishing hooks and other sharp pointy stuff in my boat. Meet you all at the gate.

Kelly

Offline Larry W

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 10:34:02 PM »
There were some questions being asked at the pub tonite.

The 10:30 meet time at the RiverRun gatehouse remains as previously posted.
We will also be using River Run as the take-out for this trip as requested by the soccer fans.

Car-pooling from Ottawa if you desire.
Meet at Eagleson Park and Ride a bit before 9 am.

The down-river portion will follow the same pattern as a regular outing ... Those that want to fish will be doing so while the others are lining to play on the waves. Of course if the fishing sucks, then playing is the other option.
I carry a watch with me and kinda of know how long we hang around McCoys, the Garb and Pushbutton

Please use this thread to confirm participation.

Larry

Offline Annie V.

• CdBMember2016
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-1
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 03:54:36 PM »
I will meet with you guys at one point on the river as I am meeting some people at the put in at 11AM.

No way, I am doing some fishing tho  ;).

Annie