Linked Events

• Beast Feast in August!!!: July 17, 2010 - August 07, 2010

Author Topic: Beast Feast-August 7 & 8!!!!  (Read 6289 times)

windowshade

Re: Beast Feast-August 7 & 8!!!!
« Reply #51 on: August 24, 2010, 10:53:33 PM »
Note to self: Next year, bring sour cream for the potatoes....

Paul ::)

Offline Larry W

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +2/-2
« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2010, 10:32:24 PM »
On a final note to the 2010 edition of the Beast Feast weekend, it was great to see all those that participated having a good time. Many helping hands made this event happen and to see all smiling faces made it all worthwhile. There was a little concern that there would not be enough beef but apparently 17 pounds is sufficient when corn, potatoes, salmon, sausages, salads, munchies, dessert and other food items are added into the mix.

Thank you for making the Club event a success.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fn29Ir4fl-c

Now if only the River Gods were a bit easier on me on the Sunday. Well that is a totally different topic all together, but didn't Tiger Woods shoot +18 over par just last weekend.

Larry
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 10:07:15 AM by Larry W »

Offline robert monti

• CdBMember2016
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-4
« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2010, 04:59:14 PM »
After not paddling for almost three months, Beast Feast was a wonderful day to come back and paddle and to re-connect with old paddling friends and to see some newer members experiencing the premier club event of the season, an event that was such a success due to the hardwork of previously mentioned club members.  Kudos and thank you!

Offline Sandra K

• CdBMember2022
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-3
« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2010, 07:54:07 AM »
Yes! Thanks to all of you for first having beast feast on the 7/8th so I could finally attend and then for volunteering your time or donating your goods (Larry, Paul, Liz, Annie, Christian, Kelly and Don and Liz). I enjoyed meeting the new members to the club and seeing my old club 'buddies'.

THIS CLUB ROCKS!

Offline LouisD

• CdBMember2012
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +4/-4
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2010, 12:52:46 AM »
Preeeeetty sweet weekend, yes.
A few highlights for me.
Hearing my brother-in-law and Guy say they had a great experience...except maybe for the amount of water J-Michel swallowed in High Tension.
Seeing the Dej clan's progression - and Barbora's battle roll off Le Corbeau - since their first WW paddle strokes with me on the Madawaska this spring.
Hearing Jacques's expert and comforting words while checking out Elise's bruised vertebrae. Pfiou!
Seeing the smile on my own daughter's face after the last 2 rapids.
Seeing Larry drink from his bootie on account of those, what, 2? yes 2 swims - although I do not understand why he preferred his to mine.
(On the drive back, Elise remarked that she had swim just as much as Larry did...heummm... I must be long overdue.)

That little boof off Le Corbeau was sweet - thanks Ray.
Also happy to see that all those after-work kayaking hours on the St-Laurent are rubbing off on my skills.

Good thing I moved to Montreal, I now realize spending time with you guys is making a softie out of me.
LD

Offline KellyM

• CDB Executive
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-1
« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2010, 10:32:47 PM »
What a great time. On Saturday we had paddlers from beginner level to seasoned veteran and from 16 to 60's, and everyone enjoyed themselves. The Beast was delicious and sitting around the fire yaking and singing was a perfect way to relax after a big day on the river. Special thanks to Larry who very selflessly took responsibility for the Beast, scrambling to provide a new spit above and beyond even getting the meat, and spent all Saturday back at the camp site cooking it to perfection.

Thank you to Paul Potvin and Liz Edwards for the auction, prizes and the raffle, potatoes and I'm sure lots of other organisational items. Thank you Annie V for arranging the corn. Thanks to all the skilled paddlers who were there to scout and show lines. As usual you made it a super safe day on the river. On at least one set of rapids you handled several rescues simultaneously. And thanks to Rob Monti who allowed me to follow him through every rapid. Great lines Rob! It made for a relaxed run with some really fun rides.

Hope I can make it again next year, and perhaps be of more assistance. Cheers CdBers! SYOTR.

Offline liz edwards

• CdbMember2018
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-3
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2010, 06:57:08 AM »
It was a fantastic weekend!! I will post the pictures as soon as I figure out how to do it. Heather's coming over tonight so that should help. They are on my Facebook as that is the only place I know how to do it. I tried to take a lot so I would get everyone in. Thanks to all for a great weekend, especially the organizers. So many people came out for it. Must be a good event!

windowshade

« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2010, 10:15:57 PM »
Wow, what a great Beast Feast!

I would like to thank Larry Wong for organising the Greatest Beast Feast ever! We had tons of people over, great food. The new spit works wonders. Everyone brought food to share, Kelly and Anita, with Liz, Daniella and Greg serenaded us with beautiful songs all evening after the feast. I met tons of new members which are sure to be impressed with our club. The Gatineau was as beautiful as ever and way easier this time around! Much fun running old and new lines, feeling safe that so many people were there watching our backs. Jeremy was busy rescuing people all weekend! We raised $450 dollars for Sindy Audet to help defray the cost of her Olympic trainning programme. We met new paddlers like Jean Michel, Guy, Elise who had a lot of fun under the carefull coaching of Louis! And what about Sindy, Dirk and Barbara who paddled with us all weekend and impressed us with their skills, in C-1's no less. A few bumps and bruises, but nothing serious thankfully.  I can't wait for the next Beast Feast! Big thanks for all the people who helped prepare the food, like Annie, Julia and Jennifer! Many thanks to Jason from Paddle Shack and Level Six for donating great prizes! many thanks to Chris Faraday and Julia and Christian for donating gently used gear (and new gear too) for the auction! Tibor and his family had a great time and are much improved paddlers now, bring on the Main Channel! I'm sure I'm forgetting stuff, which I'm sure that others will fill in...

Thank you all for attending and I hope to paddle again with you soon!

Paul ;D

Offline Chris E

• CdBMember2012
  • Class II
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-0
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2010, 04:43:30 PM »
Thanks for a good days paddling and a great supper!

Eric

fin

« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2010, 01:19:04 AM »
Hello all,

I am a canoeist in our club. I will bring a tandem canoe in case anyone might  be interested in joining me in a run down the river. Hey Luke, I'm talking to you! But anyone else that is willing would be more than welcome. J.

Offline juliahardwick

• CdBMember2014
  • Class III
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-0
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2010, 10:32:01 PM »
Yup, I too am heading up Saturday. sorry for being so late to reply. Will bring fruit and salad. May not make the Saturday paddle, but, no fear, I can swim. ::)
Heli

Offline Annie V.

• CdBMember2016
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-1
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2010, 08:57:42 PM »
Hey!

I will be there tomorrow, but I am not sure I'll make it for 10h30. I'll bring the registrery froms and of course the corn and butter!!!

Annie

Offline DaveH

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-2
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2010, 05:06:11 PM »
I'm hoping to get there for late Sat. afternoon with a serious hunger happening. Anyone know what the wave at Bonnet Rouge is like at these water levels (gauge:4-5)?

jforbesca

« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2010, 04:19:20 PM »
I will be coming for Sat (returning after supper).

To share rides, give me a call tonight (Friday Aug 6) after 6pm - 613-829-1008.

Jim,

oldfogey

« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2010, 02:22:40 PM »
Chris and I are coming as well for Saturday only.

Brian Ellis