Author Topic: Saturday paddle  (Read 2189 times)

Offline liz edwards

• CdbMember2018
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-3
Re: Saturday paddle
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2010, 07:10:15 AM »
Well said Christian. It was a great day!

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +5/-6
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2010, 06:36:29 PM »
Well...

It would have been nice to play in the Valleyfield course. Crystal clear water, friendly waves...

But we elected to run the Rouge river, and this proved to be a very... entertaining choice. Bill, Liz, Jacques, myself and a fellow kayaker from Montreal named Matthieu who joined us for the second half of the run.

The day started misty and rainy but ended in sunshine. We watched a number of canoes negotiate rapids like the washing machine, while their canoeists swam or walked... Fun for all except for poor Jacques, who did most of the work retrieving said canoes, and bags, and clothes, and bottles...

We then entered the hunting grounds of a huge bald eagle, which didn't seem to be too afraid of us as he allowed us to get a close look before taking off.

And the annoying portage around the waterfalls ended happily at the seal launch site, a 12-foot rock from which you slide off into the current below, in between two waterfalls. We all looked at it, all thought we'd be crazy doing it. Down we went anyway, one by one, and we were all declared crazy by the teenagers watching us from the other side of the river... Our technique wasn't perfect, though, a few of us landed flat with a big SPLAT! And that was pretty much it, as none of us had the kind of boat that would have made the last waterfall safe to run.

In the end a great day. No one swam, everyone rolled up after their beatdowns and everyone felt relaxed.

Despite its reputation among some circles, the Seven Sisters section of the Rouge is at this level a great run for paddlers of all skill levels above complete beginner...

On a different topic, Highway 50 is being extended over the river and a bridge is currently being built. Spanning the river just above the last waterfall (the whole section being a canyon), it's amazing how high it will be. Well above 100 feet above water level, possibly 150. And it doesn't interfere with the river at all.

Cheers all!

--Christian

Offline bouched

• CdBMember2013
  • Class II
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-0
Valleyfield was perfect
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2010, 06:52:35 PM »
July 24: on the rapid in Valleyfield there were only 2 , 3 groups of 2 or 3 people each.

The 10 spot parking lot besides the rapid was never full the whole time I was there. The large parking lot on the side was empty.

I asked everyone if they were practicing for tomorrow s competition. Nobody knew there was a competition tomorrow. One of the paddler was happy I asked him and decided he will attend. Last year he won an H2O paddle. Winning is based on participation and not on skills. This is organized by the Cornwall paddling club. They promote H2O and it is great family fun. Apparently in some of the events you throw balls at the kayakists or something.

So: the assumption that there would be too many people in Valleyfield was proven wrong. I am saying that just so you are informed that this kind of competition does not fill the rapid the previous day. ...Just in case you really want to paddle in Valleyfield.

And, on top of that: it was bright and sunny the whole time.   

Dominique

Offline coolfarmer816

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2010, 10:09:22 PM »
its seeem that we are going at the same place and same time Cool!!

so if it is possible tomorow reach  me at 819 635 5876

Daniel

Offline Bill Schlarb

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-1
Re: Saturday paddle Lower Rouge
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2010, 10:03:45 PM »
Spoke with Jacques and Cristian and the plan is to meet at the take out at 9:45 AM
It's located just east of where the Rouge crosses Hwy 148, Google maps says about 1 1/2 hour drive time to get there.
Here are the Google maps/GPS co-ordinates: 45.642661,-74.687687
If you need more info or want to share a ride call before 10:30 PM tonight or after 7:00 AM Saturday morning

Bill
(613) 224-8507
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 10:06:17 PM by Bill Schlarb »

Offline coolfarmer816

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2010, 09:53:07 PM »
hi
i am going on the rouge with 8 friends  canoe and kayak
we are leaving at 8:15  at mont?e paiement  in gatineau just next to the 50 so if ..you whant to joint us it will be fun

Daniel the ex farmer

Offline bouched

• CdBMember2013
  • Class II
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2010, 07:22:25 PM »
I just want to park & play. So Valleyfield sounded good.
I think I will pass. Unless someone wants to go to pushbutton.

Offline Chris E

• CdBMember2012
  • Class II
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2010, 06:37:54 PM »
I'd be up for the Rouge.

Offline liz edwards

• CdbMember2018
  • Class IV
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2010, 05:04:01 PM »
I'm still up for the main if people are interested. I have never been to the rouge but I'll see what people are interested in. I"m out for the evening

Offline Bill Schlarb

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-1
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2010, 04:46:01 PM »
Spoke to Jacques about an hour ago and he said that a playboat contest is scheduled
at Valleyfield on Sunday (http://www.boatwerks.net/boater-board/1/10411) and that it
will probably be busy on Saturday with people getting in some practice time.
His comment earlier about the Rouge is based on it's current level  about 40 cms which is a very friendly level.
Jacques and I will be talking later this evening for those interested.

Bill

Offline liz edwards

• CdbMember2018
  • Class IV
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2010, 04:02:12 PM »
I will see you guys there then.

Offline bouched

• CdBMember2013
  • Class II
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2010, 03:30:53 PM »
OK. For Valleyfield meet at 9:00AM at the St-laurent shopping centre Parking lot on the North East side of the Parking lot.

I will have a slalom canoe on my car (and perhaps my green playboat as well).

Dominique

Offline Chris E

• CdBMember2012
  • Class II
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2010, 03:18:30 PM »
Either that or how about the st Laurent centre?

Offline bouched

• CdBMember2013
  • Class II
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2010, 03:13:12 PM »
For Valleyfield:

should we meet at 9:00 tomorrow (July 24) at Bate's Island (Champlain Bridge)?

Dominique

Offline JackT

• CdBMember2016
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +2/-0
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2010, 02:19:38 PM »
I'd be up for the Rouge