Author Topic: Paddling opportunities for new members with limited experience  (Read 1366 times)

oldfogey

Re: Paddling opportunities for new members with limited experience
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2010, 09:24:34 AM »
Hi. With the weather looking a bit better than Saturday or Sunday, Monday could be good either at Palmer Rapids or the Lower Mad. According to the MKC website the gauge is at 42 which is really good. So if anyone is up for an expedition there, it would be great, especially if there were 1 or 2 more experienced people for rescue etc.

Brian

Offline JohnCyr

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +8/-6
    • Ottawa Whitewater
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2010, 07:45:58 AM »
Yeah! I heard about the sewer wave and checked out the spot a few weeks ago but waters too low! Seems like and awesome wave and easy access with ferry! :)

I mamanged to stay a little longer in the training wave yesterday (1 min or two), getting comfortable and learning how to stay on the foampile! I kept going from side to side haha!

Ill go paddle from 4:30-6 at Champlain tonight and will meet up with you guys at JJ's at 6pm! Ill try it on the wave there! :)

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +5/-6
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2010, 11:57:03 PM »
Hi John.

He's on the so-called 'Sewer Wave' which forms at medium-high levels. It's at the end of Begin St. in Gatineau, in the park where you find a statue of Jean de Br?beuf. It's also the put-in for the Remic wave. That little wave can be surfed forever in a Booster. check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bChQCzRvVNk

BTW, you should be able to stay on the JJ wave for good surfs in your boat. In fact, the Booster is a pretty good boat for all the waves found around the city. Even the training wave. Just a bit long for the Middle and Main Channel playspots, as you say, it's easy to catch the nose in the water. The trick with this boat, when you're worried about catching the nose on a short steep wave, is to stay balanced on top of the foam pile. When you go down the through of the wave, be prepared to carve you way back up the foam pile. If you do bury the nose, edge the boat to one side or the other and it will pop back out instead of throwing you into an unwanted front ender...

--C.

Offline JohnCyr

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
    • Ottawa Whitewater
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 11:09:27 PM »

PS That's Mark below, in sub-zero temperature February 2009...

Christian, witch wave is Mark surfing in this pic!? that looks nothing like the centerwave as it is right now haha!

the only wave i managed to surf there is the training wave.. river left of the center wavetrain and that big rock!

My boat is a bit too long though.. bow keeps getting in the water.. I can stay on for a minute or two though!

ill see you guys at JJ;s around 6pm!

John

Offline Emmanuel M

• CdBMember2016
  • Class II
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 09:59:01 PM »
Thanks Christian and Mark.

I joined John today at Champlain Bridge, it was great.

Mark, I may take your offer for tomorrow if I can leave work early enough. Mark, what time will you be there (if you are going)?

Thanks!

Emmanuel

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +5/-6
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 08:21:59 PM »
Yep... Go to the center waves below Champlain Bridge, you'll have more fun. We went to the JJ wave last night, Daniel D. and I. He plumbed the depths of the wavetrain a few times, shall I say... Let's say that he found no metal bars or other dangers in his explorations. Just rocks...

So I would say that while the JJ playspot is completely safe, it is a bit tricky for someone who is just beginning and does not have enough experience handling funny waters, as litterally you encounter currents in all possible directions while paddling there... Some of us are going there tomorrow to play on the wave, but you might want to take Mark's offer instead... Anyway, we all end up at Whispers afterwards. Cheers!

--C.

PS That's Mark below, in sub-zero temperature February 2009...

[attachment deleted by admin due to low storage space]

Offline Mark.D.

• CdBMember2012
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-1
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 04:50:20 PM »

champlain island out in the centre is a great place , I might be there tommorow night (thursday) , no worries if you swim as theres an small rocky island a city block downstream , you'll probably get rescued before that though .  Will give tips and help you out if you want ,

Mark  (red ZG54 , red helmet )

Offline Emmanuel M

• CdBMember2016
  • Class II
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 01:37:27 PM »
Ok, will try to make it ... if I can get out of work early enough. I have a red Jackson Fun and a blue helmet.

Emmanuel

Offline JohnCyr

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
    • Ottawa Whitewater
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 01:35:11 PM »
Tonight ill be there till 8 before the dark! Ill be the guy thats full of tattoos in a red Riot Booster.  ;D

Offline Emmanuel M

• CdBMember2016
  • Class II
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 01:30:44 PM »
Hi John,

thanks for your reply. Until what time will you be at Champlain? I may be able to be there about 6pm. I had a look at Lower JJ, it may be a bit early for me since there is re-bars.

Emmanuel

Offline JohnCyr

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
    • Ottawa Whitewater
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 12:47:04 PM »
Hi and Welcome!

Pont Champlain is an awesome place to start! Good Place to practice small eddies and ferries on the river right and the center wave is quite bigger but an awesome playground as well! At this level, The training wave is in and Im currently learning to surf on there! It is shallow so not the best place to roll! You can also try the pumphouse for Eddies and Ferries.

As for Lower JJs Wave in Deschenes... Well IMO since I am a beginner, its was a bit harder for me to catch and the Eddy was quite boily when I went. There is also pontential for re-bars around so..perhaps no the best place to roll. Ill be at Champlain tonight at 5 if you want to join... ill be there earlier tomorrow (3:30) and will head on to Lower JJ in deschenes later on at around 6pm!

Cheers!

John

Offline Emmanuel M

• CdBMember2016
  • Class II
Paddling opportunities for new members with limited experience
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 11:21:38 AM »
Hi,

I am a new member and started paddling this year. I took 2 days lessons and practiced a bit. I can roll and know the basics but I have limited experience. What would be the best place to start with the club? Pont Champlain on Thursday evening?

Thanks.

Emmanuel