Author Topic: Any Super Easy Spots for Kids?  (Read 2329 times)

Offline Steve Harrington

• CdBMember2016
  • Class III
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-0
Re: Any Super Easy Spots for Kids?
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 03:50:29 PM »
The Mississippi river between Almonte and Blakeny has some rapids just like you are looking for.
There's a long flatwater stretch at the start but there are some nice scenic falls and inlets to
poke around into with the kids. In the middle are some small rapids and one strech about
100 yards long. Then a long flatwater paddle to the end. You can do it in a couple hours,
but probably three with the kids taking your time. I've done it a few times with beginners
and flatwater paddlers and they enjoyed it.
At the end you take out above the bridge but they can paddle down under the bridge too
as long as they eddy out before going further downstream. People swim there too. It's a nice spot.

Steve

Offline JohnCyr

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +8/-6
    • Ottawa Whitewater
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 03:42:21 PM »
Yup!

Thats the spot!
Where it says Steep Trout Rapid, you start at the bottom of that! That where the green bridge is! McCallum st changes name i guess! hehe

Skip White Dog Rapid...that or scout it first.. Its a Level III according to the instructors there!

I think you can go down to rapide de la table and on the river left theres a take out... Unfortunately, i dont think there is parking allowed but ABV Kayak does offer a shuttler service.. Apparently, you can also follow the Level II and II kayak groups along the way!

Id gladly join if you want me to! My parents dont live too far!

John

PeterW

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 03:03:41 PM »
Sounds interesting, but I can't seem to figure out where the green bridge or McCallum is based on looking at google maps.  There are some names  of rapids on Google, can you describe the area at all based on zooming in or panning around on this map?
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&q=Hawkesbury,+Prescott+and+Russell+United+Counties,+Ontario,+Canada&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=49.71116,75.234375&ie=UTF8&cd=1&geocode=FTTftwIdSoWN-w&split=0&hq=&hnear=Hawkesbury,+Prescott+and+Russell+United+Counties,+Ontario,+Canada&ll=45.782848,-74.686174&spn=0.043097,0.073471&t=h&z=14

Thx,
Peter

Offline JohnCyr

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
    • Ottawa Whitewater
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 01:37:27 PM »
If it keeps on raining like this..the petite nation river might go up a little! It be a great spot.

Also, when I did my level 1 and 2 Whitewater.. I did the section below the green metal bridge on McCallum on the rouge... Its class 1 and 2... It would actually be perfect! Theres one rapid we skipped (whiteDog) because its too rocky.. Otherwise.. that would be a perfect 5km run!

Pics in this link

http://www.eauviverafting.ca/fr/aventures/ecole-de-kayak/combo/

PeterW

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 01:03:29 PM »
I think I'm looking for something MUCH easier that the Gatineau, if that helps.  I've done it and would say its a good bit more difficult that the Lower Mad, which is also more than I want for day 1.   I want something that a kid can have a nothing but positive experience with, hopefully staying upright the whole time, with waves gently lapping over the bow onto the skirt.  Ideally I might take the 11 year old daughter down too if it was suitable.   Maybe the fact that I don't know of any helps answer my question - there might not be any of exactly what I'm looking for, unless, like I said, most regualar paddlers would not even bother with them.

Maybe a better wording would be are there any rivers running now that are passable but far too lame for all the regular paddlers to even bother with??

Thanks,
Peter

Offline JohnCyr

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
    • Ottawa Whitewater
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 12:20:33 PM »
I paddled the petite Nation a month ago when the level was 17.3. I was aweful! Full of rocks and only 2 little sections with rapids.. Level was at 20 on the 9th.. Should be around 21 now.. Im actually going there on the weekend so ill keep ya posted!

Lorne sounds like the best idea or maybe the Gull??

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +5/-6
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 11:55:46 AM »
BTW, going to the Lorne is what Robert Z. from Cornwall used to do with his kids, they seemed to have fun.

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +5/-6
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 11:52:52 AM »
Hi. Not much around these days. The Middle Channel of the Ottawa is VERY low right now, what you lose in difficulty you gain in danger due to shallowness... A frequent 'beginner' (i.e. where some have taken beginners) is the Gatineau. It is big but safe. But judging from your message, an option is to drive to the Lorne and do laps starting at Waikiki, and possibly 'play' at Pushbutton. There, you can go look at Garburator, you can also paddle the short flat to look at Butcher's knife (and paddle back up). The Petite Nation might be back up to a nice level (and clean)... Good luck. --C.

PeterW

Any Super Easy Spots for Kids?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 11:14:39 AM »
Hi all, I just recently got a 2Fun for my kids, at this point mostly the oldest, who's 13.  He's been out messing around at Bate Island in the easy stuff, in eddys and very small waves.  I'm wondering if there are any good downriver runs to do this time of year in low water that are easy for kids.  I'm definitely not interested in taking him down the Lower Mad yet.  I'm thinking about stuff much easier than that, which many on this group would never bother with.  I think there are some popular easy canoe and kayak routes in the spring on the Mississippi, Clyde, Tay and Carp rivers that would work, but I think they're all too dry now(?)  Maybe Palmer Rapids is the answer here, although from what I uderstand it is just one rapid, and not a "trip" down the river, which would be nice.  And yes, I know there is the pumphouse too, but again, that's not quite the river trip I was hoping to find.

Any suggestions, other than waiting for next spring or lots of heavy fall rains?

Thanks,
Peter