Author Topic: Winter paddling  (Read 763 times)

windowshade

Re: Winter paddling
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 09:31:22 PM »
WOW, that guy on the left in the third photo is super  duper handsome!

Paul :D

Offline JohnCyr

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +8/-6
    • Ottawa Whitewater
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 11:45:34 AM »
HAHAHAHA Thanks Christian!

Yeah..The wall was "in" over the weekend for a few hours as the levels peaked to almost 58.9 but I checked the local spots yesterday and theyre full of Anchor ice (ice that forms on the river bed) therefore changing the features ALOT. I would rely on the gauge until warmer temps but I suggest dropping by Sewer wave or asking someone to.

I swam out there 2 weeks ago and it sucked. Chipped my brand new helmet.. Really shallow downstream of the wave. I havent rolled in january so far until that time I swam..knee got out of the brace and couldnt roll properly.  ;D

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +5/-6
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 10:44:41 AM »
The level hovers around 58.5 m, this is approximately the same as the old 3.5. So The Wall isn't in, and the area is not safe due to the presence of ice in the bay below. Sewer wave is in/out (check before going) and is the only safe playspot these days. So if anything, we can go to Sewer Wave this weekend, but a dry suit is strongly recommended, as people occasionally swim there since it gets shallow quickly and not everyone is good at rolling in 2-foot deep moving water, ask J. Cyr... --C.

Offline Sandra K

• CdBMember2022
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-3
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 10:04:56 AM »
Is the wall in? Could we paddle this coming weekend? Sat or Sun afternoon?

Any takers?
Sandra

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +5/-6
Winter paddling
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 03:11:49 PM »
Some photos, first two on Dec. 19, third one on new year's eve... and the last one yesterday: my thermometer didn't register the actual temperature. Other than the pool sessions, looks like we'll have to wait for the Spring... --C.