Author Topic: Blakeney Mishap  (Read 1391 times)

Offline JohnCyr

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +8/-6
    • Ottawa Whitewater
Re: Blakeney Mishap
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2011, 05:24:08 AM »
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 07:43:08 AM by JohnCyr »

windowshade

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2011, 09:35:08 PM »
Hey JN,

You're making lemonade out of lemons! Good for you!

Paul :)

Offline JohnCyr

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
    • Ottawa Whitewater
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2011, 09:15:25 PM »
Mark,

Water is still really big with mean looking holes and pourovers everywhere!

Paul,

The right side where the crack is seems to have popped out in the sun but the left side is still in!

It will most likely pop out with boiling water this week! Either way, I wont creek it or river run it as if by any chance I would piton on a rock, it would bend there and break both my legs... Im going to suip it up into a fishing kayak for my Dad to use.. hes wanted one for years.. Im gonna make storage room in the stern, rod holders, and a few other things and give it to him as a suprise! :)

windowshade

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2011, 08:41:52 PM »
Thanks for posting the pics! How's the boat today?

Paul

Offline Mark.D.

• CdBMember2012
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-1
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 12:53:38 PM »

wow! after seeing that my next creek boat will definetly have a bulkhead , my original (1995) 16 year old micro 230 that I paddle now doesnt have one (although that old style plastic is bombproof). a heat gun should take that out no problem , I've seen it done before , not bad as your boat though. at least you got your float bags and stuff.

was the water receiding?  was the main long run still with giant holes and pourovers ?  when it's like that I usually put in just around the bend at the top just below the giant pourover hole by shore , theres a little inlet  that you can put in easily ,   the main long run is the one with the man made bridges to walk up .

Offline JohnCyr

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
    • Ottawa Whitewater
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 11:26:24 AM »
Well...As Christian said..it took about 4 hours to get this boat out... Its pretty much not salvageable... I will try and pop it out and give it to my dad as a fishing kayak...If it pops out, I could still use it as a creekboat but if id ever piton, chances are it will bend at the same place and break both my ankles... My ankles are worth more than 1300$ haha. Thanks to Jackson's foot brace / bulkhead system otherwise id still be trapped in that boat with broken ankles/legs and possibly dead. They held for a good 10 hours before the plastic started bending.. Its a hard learned lesson that im not ready to forget! Here is a few pictures! Thanks to everyone who came and helped!!

windowshade

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2011, 10:20:03 PM »
Hey!

Don't forget me standing in ice cold waist-chest deep water for half an hour!

Paul ;)

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +5/-6
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 09:00:11 PM »
Well, it took 8 people almost 5 hours to get the thing out of the water. I won't steal J-N's thunder, I'm sure he can tell the story himself, but let me just say that it involves 8 ropes, a dozen biners and a guy repelling down a cliff above the rapid and dangling there for almost an hour... And at the end we got an entertaining demonstration of how not to run the drop by mr. Chappel... Oh, and does anyone have a creek boat and paddle to donate?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 09:16:49 PM by ChristianG »

Offline coolfarmer816

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-3
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 10:01:48 AM »
I saw Mike and 3 of his friend in Costa Rica a few week ago, small world....

They show me some vid?o! they are good!     i am to old for that kind of river...

Fait attention ? toi John pour pas te blesser quand m?me!

Ton voisin Daniel

Offline JohnCyr

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
    • Ottawa Whitewater
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 08:54:50 AM »
No.. It was a far right channel that doesnt usually run... I hope so too.. the boat seems to be bent... If i can at leadt get my throwbag, drybag, floats and outfitting ill be happpy.. Otherwise..ill be paddling the playboat all summer and trying to put aside enough $ to buy a new one in the fall... >:(

Offline Mark.D.

• CdBMember2012
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-1
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 08:46:53 AM »

was this pin near the end of the long main run on the left (by parking lot) side ? thats what it looks like in the pic from what I remeber  , hope you get the boat out.

Offline JohnCyr

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
    • Ottawa Whitewater
Blakeney Mishap
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 10:50:31 PM »
 >:(

Went to Blakeney today with Mike McKay.. we didnt run the rapids as it is HUGE.. Gnarly sticky holes and pourovers... Intermediate and Beginner paddlers should stay away!...

I seal launched into an eddy but went right onto the current...witch led into  an undercut rock wall.. i got pinned up to my waist with my Villain and had a bit of a struggle getting out.. Swam.. busted my kneecap on a rock.. Now it looks like an orange.. went under the water pretty deep and popped back downstream and swam to an eddy.. Being in a green room is peaceful.. quiet, green.. yet..scary.. Did not like...

A bunch of us are heading out to un pin the boat tomorrow!

Lost my paddle too if anyone finds it! Regulat AT4 Play bent shaft..

Heres a pic of the boat...

« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 10:52:18 PM by JohnCyr »