Author Topic: Spring Paddling: Upper Black Saturday April 9  (Read 2391 times)

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +5/-6
Re: Spring Paddling: Upper Black Saturday April 9
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2011, 12:08:05 AM »
Oh, and at 0:34 in the video, you can see the sasquatch that the ATVs are chasing!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 10:43:37 PM by Bill Schlarb »

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2011, 12:41:20 PM »
The MACKFest video echoes a discussion Paul and I had, specially the bit with the lady warming up with Tai-Chi on a backdrop of ATVs racing by... City folks have perhaps a romantic idea of rural outdoors and are quite willing to approach and enjoy it in a clean and hopefully sustainable way. In my experience, however, too often rural folks have no such qualms and they see their environment as a work and play place, and are very slow to realise that its extent and quality is going down, in part due to their own actions. How many times have I wandered the countryside only to discover old refrigerator carcasses and the likes, which were clearly NOT dumped there by city people! I hope that one day humanity will leave childhood to enter, maybe adolescence: at least most teenagers have learnt that it's not a good idea to $h1t in your own backyard, no matter how infinitely large you (erroneously) think it is... Not a rant, just a comment. --C.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 10:43:19 PM by Bill Schlarb »

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2011, 10:52:33 AM »
I see that our presence at MACKFest was duly recorded! I spy...

@ 0:42 Bill on shore at put-in getting into his boat
@ 0:45 Annie, myself waiting at the put-in
@ 1:00 Jim smiles at the camera
@ 2:28 Annie demonstrates the typewriter effect
@ 2:43 Todd makes a nice splash
@ 3:26 Annie smiles at the camera behind the full-face helmet.

That's about it. Oh, and there's that unidentified paddler in a blue boat and white helmet at 0:45, 1:14, 2:32...

--C.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 10:43:06 PM by Bill Schlarb »

Offline robert monti

• CdBMember2016
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-4
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2011, 09:01:05 AM »
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 10:42:38 PM by Bill Schlarb »

Offline robert monti

• CdBMember2016
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-4
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2011, 05:51:34 PM »
Nice to come back and paddle a river I haven't paddled probably since 2006 or 2007. Double digit weather and sun is pretty rare in my recollection of spring paddling on the Upper Black.  With three little gorges, Double Drop, Otterslide, bbb falls, particle accelerator and the Mill Drop as the finale, its a great spring run.  Having the shore lined with spectators and video cameras running during Mackfest certainly adds "something" when you are scouting BBB falls and you know there will be a permanent record if you mess up your line.  Particle accelerator was particularly nasty this weekend and damaged at least 5 open boats. One of them came away with an almost metre long gash through the hull - ruined.

A great day of paddling on the Upper Black is made even better with the welcoming locals having baked goods and bbqs on hand at the take out to feed hungry paddlers.  Of course for some of us gluttonous Cdb'ers (I'm using the plural here to justify my own excess - of course), the take out feed was just the appetizer before the grand finale feast at Kelly's Landing on HWY 37.  Over drinks, Jim had video on hand for paddlers to review and critique their boof strokes (or lack thereof) at the Mill Drop.  With Todd's break down, Paul is certain he has it dialed in and will style the drop next time.

A good long paddle is an excuse for me to throw away the calorie counter and have an all out cheat day. Two deserts - pie before and after dinner - and dinner being a half rack of ribs and a stuffed baked potato, plus another burger at the take out bbq - now that's a good day! I think Paul took home the poutine he couldn't finish at dinner for breakfast on Sunday morning. 

Coming out of the restaurant there were probably 15 vehicles in the parking lot. Only 2 did not have boats on them.  Good to see paddlers spending money in local area businesses so they stay happy to see us coming back!

Good water, good weather, good friends, good food - Perfect Day!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 10:42:21 PM by Bill Schlarb »

windowshade

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2011, 10:23:28 AM »
What an awesome day!!! Thanks Bill and Everyone there!
Paul:)

« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 10:42:05 PM by Bill Schlarb »

Offline coolfarmer816

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-3
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2011, 07:24:40 AM »
Yes!!!  it was the first thing that I say to my kid when I come back yesterday! the falls!  hi

Now they what to see the vid?o of the crazy dad...

Daniel
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 10:41:46 PM by Bill Schlarb »

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2011, 02:54:30 AM »
Oh--and I should add--only red boats ended upside down on today the river! Maybe we should invest in blue boats? Well, Paul's flips (in a 'red' Jackson Hero, courtesy of Jack T.) were all intentional. Why anyone would want to practice rolling in this freezing water is beyond me (ask him then). But maybe (and this I know) it's because the Hero could very well be the easiest and nicest boat to roll! --C.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 10:41:33 PM by Bill Schlarb »

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2011, 12:35:52 AM »
Well, our club's participation to MACKFest this year resulted in a very enjoyable time. Nine of us ran the upper section of the Black river. Rob and Todd showed how to style the two Class IV drops of the run. The rest of the river consists of about a dozen Class II-III rapids, with a treat at the very end: a 10-foot dam next to an old mill at the take-out. Many people ran it, including Daniel, who was clearly very proud of himself. There were minor mishaps here, for instance both Paul and Annie got stuck halfway behind the water curtain, but only egos were damaged in the end. The biggest blooper, in fact, was that two creek boats and a roof rack nearly flew off my car on the highway. Thanks to Bill and Jim for spotting the disaster in the making! And... It was very nice to be able to buy burgers and pie from the town people at the take out, who put together a BBQ for the paddlers!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 10:41:18 PM by Bill Schlarb »

Todd

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, 08:46:04 PM »
Daniel and I are going to head out from Alymer.  See you at the put-in @ 10:00. 
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 10:41:04 PM by Bill Schlarb »

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 08:42:59 PM »
Logistics: Paul and I are meeting at Bill's place (361 Viewmount) at 7:30 tomorrow morning. That's as good a meeting place as anything... Give him a call to confirm you're coming! Also, my cell # is 613-355-2470. --C.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 10:40:51 PM by Bill Schlarb »

Offline coolfarmer816

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-3
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 06:27:47 PM »
I will come from Aylmer , so if someone need a lift!  let me know
Daniel
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 10:40:37 PM by Bill Schlarb »

Todd

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 06:23:41 PM »
I'll be there!  Anyone have an extra seat? Or alternatively, I can drive if two or three people want to hop in the truck.

- Todd
613 316-3767
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 10:40:00 PM by Bill Schlarb »

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 02:10:29 PM »

As long as i don't follow Christiang,... :o I should be alright...  I hope...

Very wise...
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 10:39:48 PM by Bill Schlarb »

cleo

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 02:01:07 PM »
Chris and I will be running the Black on Saturday hopefully we'll see you guys there!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 10:39:34 PM by Bill Schlarb »