Author Topic: Big Eddy Project - Petawawa Open house  (Read 2882 times)

Offline Paul Potvin

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-2
Re: Big Eddy Project - Petawawa Open house
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2011, 08:37:32 AM »
Thanks for providing htis Joanne! Annectodal evidence? Not sure what the kayakers want??? 8AM to 3PM, in the summertime??? The sun doesn't go down t'ill 9PM!!! I hope tha's just their openning bid proposal...

Good luck Thursday!

Paul

Offline Joanne

• CdBMember2015
  • Class III
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2011, 08:05:06 AM »
I am going, but will be going earlier in the day.

For some light reading, I'm attaching their current "proposal", which is no proposal.

Offline Larry W

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +2/-2
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 10:49:51 PM »
hi

I can't leave until after work  ... 4pm ish from Huntclub/Riverside
The format is listed below, I probably only need 5 minutes to read the posters, and 25 minutes to bend some idiot's ear.

Larry

From Save the Petawawa - yah I'm on their email circ list too!!

As advertised in the newspapers recently, Xeneca will hold Public Information Centres (PIC) in the Quality Inn, Petawawa, from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. in the 5th and 31st of May. The PIC on May 5 will concentrate on safety and recreational use. Base on similar PICs for other projects, the format will be a small room with posters om the walls, and the opportunity tro discuss the project one-on-one with Xeneca represenatives. CASP has protested this format, but as usual has been ignored. Nevertheless, it is important that there is a good turnout at these PICs. If it looks like there is little interest, future PICs may be cancelled.

Offline Bill Schlarb

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-1
Re: Big Eddy Project - Petawawa Open house: Who's Going?
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 10:05:06 PM »
Hi

I driving up after lunch on Thursday. My car isn't full so if you need a ride, let me know.

Bill

Offline Joanne

• CdBMember2015
  • Class III
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 11:33:03 AM »
Note that the flows being proposed make a playwave impossible. Even the engineer that Xeneca hired to review this option admitted that.

My view is that releases, as many as feasible to replicate the normal flows of a river is the only potential venue to compensate for the natural flows.

I will circulate data on other releases organized by AWW and in BC prior to the meeting for everyone's information.

My position remains that no dam is better, but I think that we have to start being clear on what actually providing for flows that address recreational use would look like. This will further eat into their margins, and make safety more challenging (since in order to make it acceptable, they won't be able to fence off the whole area.)

Offline Annie V.

• CdBMember2016
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-1
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 11:01:45 AM »
I'm planning to go and would like to share a ride or take others in my car.
Let me know.

Bill

Hey Bill!

I may consider going too. Lets talk this week.

Annie

Offline Larry W

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 09:02:59 PM »
Xeneca is required by the Provincial Environmental Assessment to provide public information sessions. I subscribed to their email notifications.

Xeneca has several PDFs on their website with phrases such as:
We are committed to doing it right...
We want to work with paddlers ...

To me, its all lip service if they taunt the WW community with an open house 2 days before the HOHW events.

WO sent out a survey recently on how paddling folks feel about working with Xeneca. There's a possibility of making another play hole, which would be located up stream of Railway rapids.
I don't trust Xeneca anymore.

Larry

Offline Bill Schlarb

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-1
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 09:02:18 PM »
I'm planning to go and would like to share a ride or take others in my car.
Let me know.

Bill

Offline Joanne

• CdBMember2015
  • Class III
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 08:36:45 PM »
Agreed Larry. We should be thankful they gave notice at all!

Please - anyone who can attend, do so. Every person helps, even if they do not ask questions.

BTW, I will be attending a separate mid-day session they are having with WO. As such, I will have some time in the afternoon to get on the river. Probably only enough for park and play but the levels are great. Let me know if you want to meet up.

Of all the Xeneca projects in Ontario, paddler input to the Pet project has been the most vocal and organized. This is a key meeting for keeping the momentum!

Thanks to Larry for posting.

Offline Larry W

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
Big Eddy Project - Petawawa Open house
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 05:11:33 PM »
Hi

Now why could they not hold this open house during the HOHW weekend?

Larry

Hello!

Xeneca would like to invite you to our upcoming Public Information Meeting for our proposed Big Eddy project at Railroad Rapids on the Petawawa River.  We?ve been listening and noting your comments over the last few months and are taking the opportunity to address two major concerns; Recreational Activities and Safety around the proposed project

Please join us on Thursday May 5, 2011 from 4 ? 8 p.m. at the Petawawa Quality Inn & Suites in the Deep River and Pine meeting rooms.

Attached are the notice ads that will run in various local newspapers over the next two weeks.

Please note this will be an open house format, rather than a formal presentation.

The open house format will allow stakeholders to view up-to-date information before speaking with our professional team members. 

We hope to see you there!

Vanesa

Vanesa Enskaitis
Public Affairs Liaison
Stakeholder Relations

Xeneca Power Development
5160 Yonge St., Suite 520
Toronto ON, M2N 6L9

« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 01:12:31 PM by ChristianG »