Author Topic: Spring Paddling: Riviere Ouareau Chertsey Section Saturday May 14  (Read 3587 times)

Offline JohnCyr

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +8/-6
    • Ottawa Whitewater
Re: Spring Paddling: Riviere Ouareau Chertsey Section Saturday May 14
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2011, 05:16:12 AM »
Yeah! Went for a little head dunk! totally on purpose! hahaha!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 06:31:38 AM by JohnCyr »

Offline Paul Potvin

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-2
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2011, 10:36:04 PM »
2 minutes and 35 seconds!!! Oh yeah!!!

Paul:)

Offline JohnCyr

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
    • Ottawa Whitewater
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2011, 10:32:05 PM »
Seems like this was a great day! Saturday, I ended up guiding my first group on the Rouge Canyon as another guide had got hurt and went to the Hospital..  ??? So I went to the Ouareau Cappucines section with CCKVEM today @ 61cms. Totally different then at 80 cms apparently.. Montagne russes actually had quite a bunch of holes / pourovers / rockes to avoid and Cappucines was a def class IV. A swim wouldve really sucked...Big Holes, Rocks, pourovers and pontential pin spots..  I ran everything in a playboat and was fine.. Somehow managed to chip a tooth doing wave wheels off waves in shallow water.. shouldve checked first haha! This was the most challenging run ive done so far! :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nk-hfevHUWI

« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 03:54:33 AM by JohnCyr »

Offline Bill Schlarb

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-1
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2011, 07:18:08 PM »
Lesson for the day for Larry: don't expect things filmed with a fisheye helmet cam to match reality.  I just watched both of those again, and they are both of the section we did today. I could pick out about 75% of the drops in the videos.

Another lesson learned today, when you think you should have elbow pads but don't, that's when you'll really need them.

You're right Ray, I was able to identify the rapid at our lunch spot. What we ran yesterday had about 50% more water than the video
showed. Based on the historic data stored on the Info-Debit site, the video was shot at about 40 cms and we around 60 cms.
Amazing how a little more water can change what a river looks like...

Bill

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +5/-6
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2011, 05:47:20 PM »
Did you see, or just talked about merkins? Ha! Ha! I thought merkins were the people south of here, living in Merika... But now I know what really merkins are. Here's an exerpt from the instruction manual accompanying one:

"Please fill the registration card as it is imperative that we know how to reach you promptly if we should discover a safety problem that could affect you.
Confirm that merkin is the proper size before wearing. Use of an improperly sized merkin may result in paralysis or death. On first use your merkin may be stiff
and difficult to attach properly. Do not be embarrassed to ask for assistance. For best results we recommend that four persons be recruited for this purpose--
one to grasp either leg, one to apply the merkin, and one to act as lookout. Once the merkin is in place, it should be appropriately lubricated using light sewing
machine oil, petroleum jelly, #2 fuel oil, or I Can't Believe It's Not Butter when on sale at Safeway. Do not use so much lubricant that it dribbles in the street.
Merkin should not 'squish' when in use. Your merkin is highly flammable. Do not use if temperature rises above 73 degrees. If merkin ignites while in use,
seek assistance by running into the nearest street and shouting, "I'M ON FIRE GODDAMIT." Do not panic. The number of people who die as a result of burns
from a flaming merkin is surprisingly small."

And yes, the recovery expedition for the stranded Hero was successful. Things went very safely and smoothly, total time between leaving the truck and returning to it with all boats and gear about 90 minutes. There is a dent but I will try a heat gun on it since the boat is in my garage...

Offline LouisD

• CdBMember2012
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +4/-4
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2011, 05:00:23 PM »
The guys talking in French to the waiter were entertaining, but not as much as the dinner - punctuated by merkins and other oddities.
All of this surpassed by the few who decided to run the last rapid (class V) at the Pont du Gouvernement.
I opted out of that last one, not following the few bruised egos and bodies...
Thanks for the good day and quick drive home for me.

I heard from Jack that the quest to recover his Jackmobile from the Upper Pet was successful and that Paul's arm may have decided to stick around for the ride... Good news!
LD

Offline robert monti

• CdBMember2016
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-4
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2011, 02:31:17 PM »
Larry, the patience of the rest of the crew was rewarded with a lovely post paddling meal at Papa Luigi's.

Offline Late Ray

• CdBMember2013
  • Class II
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2011, 01:26:21 AM »
Lesson for the day for Larry: don't expect things filmed with a fisheye helmet cam to match reality.  I just watched both of those again, and they are both of the section we did today. I could pick out about 75% of the drops in the videos.

Another lesson learned today, when you think you should have elbow pads but don't, that's when you'll really need them.

Offline Larry W

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +2/-2
Riviere Ouareau Chertsey Section - TR
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2011, 10:39:17 PM »
just got back home ...

Lesson for the day: watched the video posted in this thread. We paddled something totally different. Don't believe everything you see on you-tube.
Another lesson for the day: read the river description posted also in this thread. We paddled something different. Take written descriptions with a grain of salt.

Great creaking section for those who missed it. Plenty of lines through each drop depending on your flavour of the day.

http://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=205353621598577759867.0004a34f5ce77cfe805fa&t=h&z=12
Provides a directions for the next time we go there.

Oh another lesson: don't follow Rob when he says "I have GPS coordinates for a restaurant".

Larry

« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 11:03:23 AM by Larry W »

Offline Falls

• CdBMember2014
  • Class IV
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2011, 01:34:59 PM »
Well.. enjoy this one guys! One run I wont miss for sure is the Middle Channel as ive never done it before!

My BabyMama gave me a day pass for tomorrow, so I'm game to run the middle if you're not rafting.  I'd have to be back in town by 3:30 or 4:ish, so an early start would be good.

Let me know.

Everyone else is also welcome.

Offline waverider

• CdBMember2015
  • Class IV
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011, 05:33:48 PM »
I'm looking to car pool for the ouareau tomorow, from gatineau or ottawa. I don't what to drive alone I want to split the cost of traveling. With the price of gas now my van would be around $100.  If your car is cheaper I would  go with you. I will be giving it a shot with my all star.

Richard

819-664-2690

Offline JohnCyr

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
    • Ottawa Whitewater
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 01:55:30 PM »
Bill,

I just spoke with a friend of mine who has ran it at both 30 and 55 and he gave me this website  http://www.k1c2.ca/rivers/rivers.php with gauges at the section in my videos is currently at :

Ouareau Pont du gouvernement    83.97 / -0.87 / 2011-05-13 / 10:00

He said he knows one guy who ran it at 80 but said it was hard to scout but otherwise was fine!

He told me I 'd be border line in a playboat but its definately do able if you are really comfortable in it.

Offline coolfarmer816

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-3
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 01:46:09 PM »
No problemos I am a good swimmer...  :)

Offline JohnCyr

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
    • Ottawa Whitewater
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 01:37:33 PM »
Hmmm.. Ill be 20 mins to hawksburry already for the night.. I have my superstar and im pretty confortable in it!
Everything in the video here seems "portageable" if you dont feel it.. And i havent ran a river this year besides the Chazy and the Petite Nation.

This Could be fun! Think its worth renting a boat from Paddleshack?

I dont plan on swimming anyways and if ever I do, I know ill have coolfarmer819 as a partner! haha just kidding!  ;D

Offline Bill Schlarb

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-1
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 01:20:54 PM »

I assume this is creekboat territory? I see only one guy in a River runner / play-ish

At least a boat you're comfortable river-running in

@ 1:20 this is the Chertsey section between 40-50...IIRC the gauge is at 37 as we speak?

This section of river is between the Capucines  (54 cms) and  Chute Darwin gauge which is around 75 cms
You were looking at the Aval du Lac reading which is about 30+ km upstream near the town of Saint-Donat.

Bill