Author Topic: May Long Weekend Paddling: Hudson River and Grasse River (Lampson Falls)  (Read 3322 times)

Offline Sandra K

• CdBMember2022
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-3
Me too... Thanks for organize Bill! I liked how different the rivers were and that there weren't a lot of bugs.
I am so happy we live in an area with so many different rivers and that our club that runs them!

Sandra

Offline LouisD

• CdBMember2012
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +4/-4
I'll second that - as I recovered from Saturday.
LD

Offline wendy

• CdbMember2018
  • Class III
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-1
Thanks, Bill!

For organizing two great days of paddling in upstate NY on the May long weekend.

Wendy

Offline LouisD

• CdBMember2012
  • Class V
I paddled the Hudson yesterday!!!
Waited over an hour with Alex for the Ottawa crew to show up in a panic as the dam release on the Indian section would apparently likely end in 10 min... Not a relax way to start the paddling, but the river itself was...
Overall a group of 9. Pretty long/continuous rapids. A few holes here and there, mostly widely spread. I liked St-Regis better.
The return home was slooooowww at the border with almost a 2hr wait. An Hasidic (spelling?) jew was cutting 2 lanes across back and forth. Then a fist fight almost broke between another 2 dudes... A bit of entertainment during the border wait.
Beats Saturday...
LD

Offline LouisD

• CdBMember2012
  • Class V
Coming down with a friend from Montreal.
Let's make sure we hook up this time.

Meeting at the take-out for 10h15.
LD

Offline wendy

• CdbMember2018
  • Class III
Re: May Long Weekend Paddling: Hudson River - Carpool
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2011, 07:14:45 PM »
Anyone paddling tomorrow that is coming from the Glebe or Centretown area?
Thanks,
Wendy
613-234-1986
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 07:18:21 PM by wendy »

chuckmw

Hey Bill,

Will call you tonight, we are two who are interested on doing the hudson river on monday, we have one car.

Chuck

Offline Wendy Gilmour

• CdBMember2015
  • Class II
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-0
Hey Bill/Jim/Larry

Do you remember what level the river was at when we ran it a few years ago?  My memory tells me it was 4-4.5, but I could be wrong.  The description sounds a lot tougher than I remember it ....

w

Your recollection is pretty good, it was about 5 ft. that day.
Jim's description is very accurate for 6 ft. on the gauge, continuous 3 - 4 rapids.
Lots of fun to paddle but you need to stay in your boat.

Bill

Ah yes - staying in the boat ... must work on that one day.  Have fun on the Grasse !

Offline Bill Schlarb

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-1
Hey Bill/Jim/Larry

Do you remember what level the river was at when we ran it a few years ago?  My memory tells me it was 4-4.5, but I could be wrong.  The description sounds a lot tougher than I remember it ....

w

Your recollection is pretty good, it was about 5 ft. that day.
Jim's description is very accurate for 6 ft. on the gauge, continuous 3 - 4 rapids.
Lots of fun to paddle but you need to stay in your boat.

Bill

Offline Bill Schlarb

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-1
Hi folks,

Group consensus is for the Grasse on Saturday, please see the details in the first post for meet time etc

Bill

Offline Paul Potvin

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-2
Okay. Once the trip is finalized...ask Bill if he thinks we have room. Then you can come...if it will be interesting enough for you. I will be driving. You may just need to meet us somewhere.

S'okay Sandra. Bill told me the river your doing tomorrow is not to spectator friendly. I'll pass. Have a good trip!
Paul

Offline Larry W

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +2/-2
I would agree with Ray on this one ...
Plus the Grasse is much more fun

The Hudson has a much bigger watershed to collect water ... it should be around 6 on Monday ...

Ah what does it matter  ... gone on an exciting canoe trip for the weekend ... have fun folks whatever you decide

Larry

If you wait until Monday there will be no water in the Grass.  It was 1900cfs last night, is 1600 cfs now and will hit 1000 by Saturday morning.  Get on it Saturday if you are thinking of running it.  Hudson is on the rise so the water isn't going anywhere there.

Offline Wendy Gilmour

• CdBMember2015
  • Class II
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-0
Hey Bill/Jim/Larry

w

Offline Annie V.

• CdBMember2016
  • Class IV
I am in for tomorrow as well. Looking at Jim's description it look like a lot of fun.

I will call Bill tonight to inquire about car pooling.

Annie

Offline Sandra K

• CdBMember2022
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-3
Okay. Once the trip is finalized...ask Bill if he thinks we have room. Then you can come...if it will be interesting enough for you. I will be driving. You may just need to meet us somewhere.