Author Topic: May Long Weekend Paddling: Hudson River and Grasse River (Lampson Falls)  (Read 3320 times)

Offline Paul Potvin

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-2
Wow...it sounds like a lot of fun!! I do love big water. Might be worth the 6:30 am start time after all...
Paul - if you want to be Wendy and my shuttle bunny...we'd be happy to have you!! Especially if you show up with coffee :)

Thanks Sandra and Wendy but only if there is enough room.

Paul:)

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +5/-6
Perhaps Ray is right: the Grass won't stay high much longer. I'm up for anything, the bulldozer is ready yo go. --C.

Offline Sandra K

• CdBMember2022
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-3
Wow...it sounds like a lot of fun!! I do love big water. Might be worth the 6:30 am start time after all...
Paul - if you want to be Wendy and my shuttle bunny...we'd be happy to have you!! Especially if you show up with coffee :)

Offline Paul Potvin

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-2
Hey Bill,

Is this a shuttle bunny friendly trip with shore viewing??

Paul

Offline Bill Schlarb

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-1
Rob and I spoke earlier today and he wasn't aware that the Diable is well below the level we ran it at last year (20 cms vs 30cms).
Based on that info he agreed that it would not be a very good run.

As for Saturday, just as last night's decision was made by consensus, we can always switch days as the group decides.
Looking forward to my phone ringing a-lot tonight!

Bill

Offline Jim Swabey

• CdBMember2014
  • Class III
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-0
I have paddled the Hudson several times and it's a classic!  The highest level that I ran it at was 6 feet and the Blue ledges section was HUGE!  Watch out for the "Soup Strainer" river right, towards the bottom of the Blue ledges section, nasty hole.  At six feet or higher this river requires a bomb proof role and you must be comfortable in continuous 3-4 whitewater.  Scouting the Blue ledges section is not possible as it is a long section; you must run it blind with the general rule being stay just left of center all the way.  The side of the river is not always your friend as there are large boulders that cause nasty holes at certain levels. As you run this section the waves keep getting bigger and bigger until you pass the? Soup Strainer?.   This river is similar to the Kipawa at higher levels with less flat water.

Have fun!

Offline wendy

• CdbMember2018
  • Class III
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-1
I'm good with the Grass for Saturday as well and/or looking into Rob's suggestions.
Wendy

Offline Sandra K

• CdBMember2022
  • Class IV
I'd be happy to do the Grass...can we leave later than 6:30 am??

Offline Late Ray

• CdBMember2013
  • Class II
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-0
If you wait until Monday there will be no water in the Grass.  It was 1900cfs last night, is 1600 cfs now and will hit 1000 by Saturday morning.  Get on it Saturday if you are thinking of running it.  Hudson is on the rise so the water isn't going anywhere there.

Offline Sandra K

• CdBMember2022
  • Class IV
Oh my gosh! 6:30 am start. This better be good...is it true what Rob is saying? Is there good stuff closer that doesn't have rafts and we can do the Hudson at other times?

S:)

Offline robert monti

• CdBMember2016
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-4
Bill, I'm surprised! With all the natural flows to choose from you pick a dam release and a 6:30 a.m. start to boot?  People are going to start calling you S & M Schlarb! Curious why you didn't all choose to sleep a little longer and hit some stuff you haven't hit in awhile like the Toboggan section of the Diable? Shorter drive, no crowds, no rafts.  Or you could have done an Otter/Indy duo run. The rivers are closer and I would argue the rapids are more fun and you can run a dam release when other stuff is too low.

Just sayin. I don't have a stake in this as I have other "family" travel this weekend.

Offline JohnCyr

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +8/-6
    • Ottawa Whitewater
Seems like fun but passeport is expired... Next time! :)

Offline Bill Schlarb

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-1
Hi folks,

After much to-ing and fro-ing at Whisper's this evening, we decided on the following:

Please note change of destination/dates

Saturday May 21: Grass River (NY) - Lampson Falls to Russell

This is a technical class III + IV river that is considered to a step up from the Taylorville section of Beaver River.
Here is the link to the AWA description: http://www.americanwhitewater.org/content/River/detail/id/1310/
We can meet at the Ultramar Station on Prince of Wales Dr. (45.240639,-75.71233) at 8:00am and head to the border from there.
Give me a call after 6:30pm on Friday for more info and sorting out rides.

Monday May 23: Hudson River (NY) - Indian River to North Creek

This section is a large flow, fairly continuous class 3/4 run through the Hudson River Gorge.
It is rafted commercially so you can expect big water without too many consequences.
Here is the link to the AWA description: http://www.americanwhitewater.org/content/River/detail/id/1321/

Since getting down the Indian River requires the water from the 10:00am dam release from Lake Abanakee,
we need to get to the put in by 9:30am or so. This means leaving Ottawa at 6:30am to cover the 270 km distance.
We can use my house (361 Viewmount Dr.) as a rendezvous point and head out of town from there.
Please be ready to leave by 6:30am, it's early but catching the dam release is important
Give me a call after 6:00pm on Sunday for more info and sorting out rides.

Bill
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 12:26:14 AM by Bill Schlarb »