Author Topic: KipawaFest  (Read 1384 times)

Offline DaveH

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-2
Re: KipawaFest
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2011, 10:10:13 PM »
Afraid that I'm going to be giving it a miss. Urrrrr......next year!

Todd

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2011, 09:34:47 AM »
Looks like fun, wish I could join - still in a full leg splint for a few weeks. Have fun everyone!

Offline DaveH

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-2
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 09:39:15 PM »
My weekend is still up in the air; should know by tomorrow evg. There is a fair amount of rain in the forecast for up there; it might even get some creeks running. If I'm able to go, I can take 2 others in my car or be a sleepy passenger.

I'd be game for getting underway on Friday morning and would like to stop in downtown Temiskaming for supplies and to go scout the creek that runs through town. It is actually a 2nd outflow of Lake Kipawa. The drop that starts at the 0:50 second mark of this video is right in town:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdycOza_VF4&feature=channel

It was posted on Boatwerks today that they are expecting perfect levels for the rally:
http://www.boatwerks.net/boater-board/1/11407

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +5/-6
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 06:10:45 PM »
Hmmm... Since it is a long trip, my preference is to run the Petawawa Town section on Friday afternoon, then drive up to Laniel afterwards. I haven't decided which boat to bring, but I can certainly use my car and bring one other person with me.

I don't think it is a good idea to leave Saturday morning, as the shortest route is approx. 420 km and would take around 6 hours to cover. And if you look at the map, Petawawa is almost exactly halfway! So the only option, if you want to do 2 runs, is to leave Friday.

The festival t-shirts have to be picked up in Ottawa, I'm waiting to hear more about this before organising anything.

chuckmw

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 04:53:07 PM »
So whats happening with the Kipawa,

anybody going just for Saturday and Sunday?

Offline Annie V.

• CdBMember2016
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-1
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 02:32:41 PM »
Already have Friday off!! And I definitively plan to go but you already knew that  ;)

Offline Mark.D.

• CdBMember2012
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-1
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 06:59:36 PM »
well worth going , I guarentee it will be the best river/trip of your summer , great scenery and rapids just be bug prepared if your camping at the takeout.

Offline Sandra K

• CdBMember2022
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-3
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 05:06:24 PM »
Thanks for the info. Christian - that's great! I really want to go if there are enough people going it'll be more fun!  BTW- I owe you a beer or $$...

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +5/-6
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 05:00:34 PM »
Many have expressed the intention to go. One option is to take Friday off, run the Petawawa Town Section, and drive up to Scott Sorensen's property for camping Friday night. Then run the river on both Saturday and Sunday. Other option is to drive up there Friday after work. I can do either.

"Are any of the rapids like the bottom of the Bonne Brooke?" "if it is worth to go"
Read the description on Peter Karwacki's site (http://www.kipawariver.ca/), watch this video (http://www.boatwerks.net/boater-board/1/11336) and decide.  But let's see... There are 16 named rapids. For comparison, the Middle Channel of the Ottawa has only 6 if you count McKoy's and Angel's Kiss separately. A run of the Kipawa can take up to 6 hours even when scouting only 1-2 rapids, and there's NOT a lot of flat... The river is fun at all levels, but judging from the Spring levels this year, there will still be ample water in late June. Most people bring play boats; as a beginner in 2008 I brought a creek boat, this year I hesitate between bringing my big bulldozer (for comfort) or my playboat (for excitement). Hope that helps.

--C.

Offline JohnCyr

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +8/-6
    • Ottawa Whitewater
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 01:49:38 PM »

Offline Sandra K

• CdBMember2022
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-3
KipawaFest
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 01:45:07 PM »
Hi All,

So, what's the scoop on the Kipawafest?  I know it is June 24, 25 and 26th. Who is interested in going? Are we guaranteed to have water if we go?  Are any of the rapids like the bottom of the Bonne Brooke?

If you've been before, write in and let me know if it is worth to go.

http://www.kipawariver.ca/