Author Topic: CdB Downriver Fishing Derby - 2011 Edition - July 9th  (Read 3273 times)

Offline KellyM

• CDB Executive
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-1
Re: CdB Downriver Fishing Derby - 2011 Edition - July 9th
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2011, 08:12:23 PM »
Super safe and fun as always. I'd like to give a big shout out to Bill. I remember my first time down the Middle, he basically hung in with me all the way, helped me through the nerves, told me if and where I had to walk. Bill did it again shadowing Larysa. It made the day for her as it had for me. The thing that is always so impressive is his leading by example. I'm sure most of you know this by now, but every paddler can learn something from Bill no matter if you are an expert or a beginner or somewher in between. I think it boils down to making sure everyone is having fun and still being safe. And it was.

BTW, Larry I have a problem with hooks in my boat as well. Maybe Paul and I could try snaring fish next year. Or, Paul, what about a big net stretched between two kayaks? ;D

Thanks every one
Kelly

Offline Larry W

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +2/-2
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2011, 05:22:50 PM »
There is a big misconception that I actually did any organizing other than state the meet time and river.
Maybe the shuttle could have been better organized by pointing out the 2 RED and 1 GREY takeout vehicles, but that's other story and definitely worth some mention at some ceremony.
Everybody made it down the river, some with a bit of assistance.
Nobody got hurt.
And everything happened just like it should on a typical CdB outing.
It was a group effort ...

So thanks everyone for coming out ...

As for the fishing part, there weren't too many participants.
It's no fun going fishing and not catching anything ... so amongst us, over 20 fish of various sizes were caught and released. The winners received some booze for their efforts. I expected at least one more participant but he was a no-show. A real fisherman would have drank all night and caught his limit in a hour the next morning ... just to lay the gauntlet down for future events. Maybe next time, there will be a "hookless lure" category (http://www.sershenbros.com/catching-fish-with-a-hookless-lure/), so Paul won't have any excuse.

As for the raft ... Horizon Rafting is a menace on the river and one of their empty rafts got beached on the island at McCoys ... I released it. No big deal.

Larry

Great event as usual Larry. Lots of fun! I think fishing out the raft was a bit of an overkill to win the competition though....:)
Thanks for organizing it!

Paul ;D

Offline AdamN

• CdBMember2023
  • Class V
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2011, 03:19:03 PM »
Lariza and I had a wonderful time!!  Thanks again Bill, Paul and Kelly for guiding us down the river.   

Cheers,

Adam

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +5/-6
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2011, 10:29:14 PM »
Nice photos, Robert. I'm sure the middle channel was relaxing enough for everyone to have a good time. What's the story about fishing a raft?

As for the Rouge... It was relatively quiet, with relatively little carnage because the level (84) seemes to have scared a number of people. Rightly so, since it was clearly an intermediate run. Still, it was relaxing enough the third time. I still don't know how to stay upright in the Seuil  ? ?lizabeth... The Washing Machine, with its Spin Cycle eddy was not a nice place to visit; even the Drier gave some their money's worth. A nice river, definitely a step up from the Ottawa or the Gatineau, but you get much more out of a Rouge run than from the other two rivers!

Offline Paul Potvin

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-2
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2011, 01:17:42 PM »
Nice pics Robert, thanks for posting them! It was great to paddle with all the new members like Adam, Larissa and Randy, Chuck, Tia, Andrew and Justine  as well as all the usual gang! Welcome back to Wendy, Dani, never saw so many canoes on a ricer descent! Great event as usual Larry. Lots of fun! I think fishing out the raft was a bit of an overkill to win the competition though....:)
Thanks for organizing it!

Paul ;D
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 08:33:24 PM by windowshade »

Robertm

« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2011, 12:51:16 PM »
Awards ceremony

Offline JohnCyr

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +8/-6
    • Ottawa Whitewater
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2011, 10:47:33 PM »
Gates are closed and I have been fishing all day below the dam... Caught over 20 fishes in less than 2 hours.. Im winning this thang! Id rather run the main at this level though....

Offline Larry W

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +2/-2
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2011, 05:34:13 PM »
http://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?msid=205353621598577759867.00044d9c08124f718929b&msa=0

As Bill says ... but it would be considered "up" the road since the WT takeout is upstream of RR.
Follow the take out road to bottom ... the map link has been updated to indicate the parking lot.

Looks like we will be on the Middle Channel at the present level of 5-6  ....unless they close the flood gates

Larry

I'm in, but just to run the river.

can anyone describe where this is plz? :
<<WT takeout at 11 am to set up a shuttle>>
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 05:40:01 PM by Larry W »

Offline Paul Potvin

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2011, 10:08:11 AM »
Christian, Jacques and Sandra have fun on the Rouge. Crossing my fingers for Staircase!

Paul

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2011, 01:56:00 AM »
Have fun on the Ottawa. It is now at 5 3/4, below the level on Newcomers' Day. It may dip some more, and be around 4 on the gauge by Saturday, so Paul may want to re-run Staircase, at a safer level (but bonier)! I'll be on the Rouge, whose level is going up, so this may turn out to be interesting (washer machine ouch...). Stay tuned!

--C.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 01:58:13 AM by ChristianG »

Offline Paul Potvin

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2011, 11:56:14 PM »
Carpooling anyone?

Paul

Offline coolfarmer816

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-3
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2011, 10:43:02 PM »
'confused' also..

I am back,  sea kayaking R?servoir Taureau , Lanaudi?re and didn't read some post!

There will be too many people in the washing machine for me on the Rouge so I comming on the Ottawa river with you...  relaxing

Daniel

Offline DaveH

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-2
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2011, 06:45:37 PM »
and here:
http://tinyurl.com/OttawaRiverPaddlersAccess
The River Run location (A) is easier to find than the WT take-out (B) and is just used a s reference in this case.

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2011, 04:31:20 PM »
Here

Offline Bill Schlarb

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2011, 04:29:47 PM »
It's about 150 metres down the road from River Run.
Here are the GPS co-ordinates based on Google Maps;  45.711124,-76.740836

Bill