Author Topic: Saturday, Sept 24 Rouge River!  (Read 2087 times)

Offline KellyM

• CDB Executive
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-1
Re: Saturday, Sept 24 Rouge River!
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2011, 06:07:45 PM »
Thanks Dan & C & C & PP

Just a wee bit of a difference between the high launch and the low  ;D

K

Offline coolfarmer816

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-3
Vid?o........... Saturday, Sept 24 Rouge River!
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2011, 01:54:09 PM »

Gerard the GM  kayaker
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPPqS-wzTrU

Me.. Daniel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKij3vFtj-0

The only Paul!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOacAO7j8ww

Kelly(encourag? par Carinne et....Paul et Christian)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nYMQG_7utY

Carinne
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3w2A_T4gMO4

thanks Christian for taking the vid?o

Daniel

Offline AdamN

• CdBMember2023
  • Class V
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2011, 09:37:11 PM »
Hi Christian,

Thanks for clearing that up.  I'm not up for huge waterfall, yet!

Adam

Offline Paul Potvin

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-2
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2011, 09:31:11 PM »
Did you see that mask of serenity on my face as I plunge down the waterfall?

Paul:)

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +5/-6
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2011, 09:04:27 PM »
Hi Adam.

No we did not run the actual 5 waterfalls since the water level is still too high. They are considered runnable by mere mortals when the gauge dips below 30 (except for the last one, which can be run at somewhat higher levels).

Both movies that Jean-Nicolas posted and the one that I posted are of the same section, exactly what we did last Saturday. There are a few small rocks/ledges that can be boofed if desired, but nothing mandatory. In the first video, starting at 0:46, they are at the first big drop (Elizabeth's Drop). The failed seal launch at 2:02 is also there. The next rapid of consequence, 'Slice'n'Dice', appears at 2:08 (that's where the guy in the orange kayak surfs a hole for a while--36 seconds in fact); there's an obvious line in between the two holes. At 3:35, they begin running the 'Mushroom' and at 4:28 they start dropping in the 'Washing Machine'. What happened to Paul Saturday is similar to the fate of the guy at 4:46... They then had to walk around 5 huge drops, then launch into the river, then finally look at the last drop. In the second video them J-N posted, you see them first at Elizabeth's Drop, then at the famous seal launch.

By the way, just so that we talk about the same thing... 'Boofing', which refers to launching the boat with one last well-timed stroke in order to land horizontally and hopefully clear the recirculating part of the boil below the drop, is what I am about to do in the picture below. As opposed to 'penciling' into the boil, as Paul demonstrates in the second pictures. Both are valid manoeuvers that are applicable in different circumstances. And those pictures were indeed taken at Quyon when there was enough water. Cheers! --C.

Offline AdamN

• CdBMember2023
  • Class V
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2011, 07:54:01 PM »
Christian,

The video you attached is much more doable.  John's videos were all about the Seven Sisters and that looked very boofy and way above anything we have done on the Main!

Did/do you guys run the Seven Sisters?

Cheers,

Adam
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 08:04:16 PM by adam11 »

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2011, 03:51:15 PM »
If you want to practice your French, here's a description of the run:

http://192.77.51.34/~cleduc/Canot/04/RougeSeptSoeursLeduc.pdf

Here's also a good video at 80 on the gauge, the same level as during the Jamboree this summer (Jacques, Dave and I did 3 runs that weekend!). This is almost exactly TWICE the volume of last weekend:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIlPGu1aIUM

I've paddled with a few of the people in this video, by the way.

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2011, 03:09:58 PM »
Paul/Christian,

Which video showed you guys? 

The Rouge looks like quite a step-up from the Main.  I guess I have to learn how to boof and maybe get a creek boat!

Adam 

Those are just videos found on YouTube. The only videos of us existing are on my camera, computer... and on Daniel's camera which I should retrieve tomorrow!

I've always done this river in a playboat, at many levels between 30 and 160 on the gauge. No need to boof anything unless you want to. There are a few waves/holes that need to be punched, however. Each rapid individually is no harder than what's on the Ottawa. However, the run is 7 km long and there's only a very short section of flatwater befor the portage. So if you've only done the Ottawa or the Gatineau with short rapids separated by long stretches of flatwater, a river like the Rouge will seem more taxing as you need to be attentive all the time. But once you know what to expect, it's a lot of fun. --C.

Offline JohnCyr

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +8/-6
    • Ottawa Whitewater
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2011, 12:06:53 PM »
I actually found the rouge way easier than the main..Since water is low...rocks are closer..So perhaps consequences are a bit "crappier" if I can put it that way...Also.. Lines get different at higher water and things get bigger and trickier though...I ran the middle channel on the Ottawa yesterday and it kind of reminded me of the rouge.. Shallow and rocky with a few nice fun rapids! I would say youd need a creekboat for the Rouge, unless you ran the falls. You dont need to learn how to boof for the Rouge, unless you ran the falls...There are a few boofs you can make on the gauntlet run at the elizabeth sil and the washing machine. If youd like to practice your boof... wait till mid october and try Quyon Falls aka Trick or Treat Falls as the water is Waaaayyyyy to low right now. Perfect and safest play to learn/try.

Offline AdamN

• CdBMember2023
  • Class V
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2011, 10:59:17 AM »
Paul/Christian,

Which video showed you guys? 

The Rouge looks like quite a step-up from the Main.  I guess I have to learn how to boof and maybe get a creek boat!

Adam 

Offline JohnCyr

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +8/-6
    • Ottawa Whitewater
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2011, 09:07:56 PM »
Sorry I didnt make it guys! Some guide didnt show up at Horizon and I was called in to guide "for my first time with actual clients this year"... Although ive ran the main over 50 times this summer and I know the lines fairly well, I was very nervous. My group was very fun and actually paddled which made it easier on me! Dumped a few people and didnt flip till Blacks, where I dugg the nose and purposely dumped everyone including myself for the hell of it! Ive got myself a gig for next season for sure! Heres a few shots!

Offline KellyM

• CDB Executive
  • Class IV
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2011, 05:46:53 PM »
Yes

I did indeed sleep well. Numerous new challenges. Learned lots of new things. Thanks Christian for all the help and coaching - lean forward, paddle hard, don't start to worry till you see power lines ;D And biggest thanks to Carine for talking me out of giving up (no fewer than three times) and leading me down the hardest parts. Holy cow, Carine, your paddling skill level has taken a hyper leap. The vid of your seal launch is testimony.

THX everyone. I had a hell of a time.

Kelly   

Offline coolfarmer816

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-3
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2011, 07:56:46 AM »
Great day agains

nothing special on my Cam?ra except...

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2011, 02:51:55 AM »
And yes, that 'emoticon' with the big eyes is only a pale comparison to Paul's expression, pre-'washing'... I need to say though that Paul (despite what he says) is in my opinion an very good paddler. He got stuck in there, got worked a bit, flushed out and smoothly rolled up--however still featuring the same expression: did he keep his mouth open the whole time?

So now, you understand why those Quebec folks call this thing the 'washing machine'. The whole rapid above it is LONG (by Ottawa and Gatineau standards) and IS the reason why we run that river! But the jewel of it (at the end) has a wash, rinse... and sometimes a spin cycle. Well, it also has a 'drier' too if you want to bypass the washing.  Carine was an expert guide and took Kelly (after a swim--but, hey--we all swam this rapid, and anyway he got himself and all belongings to safety nicely) through the 'drier': a friendly ride.

As I may have said earlier, congratulations to Kelly for running 99% the river blind: minimal scouting! Instructions: Go left, then go right... oh, and avoid the hole too. He did a great job, and now he knows that boulders can sneak up on you!

And I was stupid enough to leave Daniel's camera, with the cool footage of all the seal launches, in the car that was bound for a family reunion. I hope that the photos are only of a good sort, but if I'm lucky I'll have coffee with Carine AND get the camear back soon... --C.

Offline Paul Potvin

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-2
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2011, 12:09:27 AM »
Yup, the look on my face said it all I guess. I was about to be devoured alive by a hungry shark/washing machine, which actually happened....  :o (emoticon is a close resemblance of what my facial features looked like as I was about to be totally thrashed) , rolled though, whew?Next time I'll know what to except. My scariest moment though was getting pined against a boulder in Slice and Dice and flashbacking to Staircase/Garvin?s incident earlier in June?. :'(
Discovered the mini seal launch, which is way more doable than the 15 footer one ;D.  Kudos to Carine, the great motivator-teacher for getting Kelly and me through it! ;)

Fun day, I?m up for it again next weekend!

Thanks Christian for being so accommodating with the schedule and with the river Beta!

Paul :D