Author Topic: Ottawa River Level @ Beachburg and Britania.  (Read 8762 times)

Offline JohnCyr

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +8/-6
    • Ottawa Whitewater
Re: Ottawa River Level @ Beachburg and Britania.
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2011, 11:39:57 AM »
If something comes in. it will be Sewer Wave. Most likely by the weekend!

So far.. My plans wither to hit some solo runs on the Petite Nation while im at my parents farm (yeah.. ill get some thumbs down for that..but I know the river quite well) or hit up the Rouge upper Canyon .. Some of the goods in the Laurentians are WAYY up so if that stays like this... I mgiht head there too! Theres also the Blanche in Thurso that is probably full right now!!

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +5/-6
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2011, 10:59:43 AM »
No, the basins where the Ottawa water comes from are waaayyy up north, and they have been emptied (so to speak) for the winter. But the Rouge did swell, the kids did it at 55 on Saturday and it's now up to 135, a much different river...

Offline jonyak

• CdbMember2018
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-1
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2011, 10:21:35 AM »
Think champlain might come in after all the rain?

Offline Falls

• CdBMember2014
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-0
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2011, 09:00:55 AM »
3 as of yesterday.

Offline JohnCyr

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
    • Ottawa Whitewater
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2011, 06:43:51 AM »
Dropped to +3.5 today! Right Side horseshoe and Cornerwave are stellar!

Offline JohnCyr

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
    • Ottawa Whitewater
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2011, 08:54:23 AM »
 Little update! Ottawa River @ Beachburg currently at +4 3/4

;D

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2011, 01:41:43 PM »
Yeah... Level at Britannia is also going down (hovering around 58). They have emptied the reservoirs for the winter, so we shouldn't expect much til the spring. So we might get Babyface and/or Garberator back before everything freezes! And let's keep an eye on Sewer Wave...

Offline jonyak

• CdbMember2018
  • Class V
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2011, 12:10:00 PM »
PS: the ottawa was at +2 yesterday.

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2011, 12:07:18 PM »
Looking to paddle main 12 and 13 Nov.  Anybody interested?
Hi! This thread is (supposed to be anyway) about river LEVELS. To plan a trip, just start a new thread in the Paddling section. Cheers! --C.

Offline rgplouffe819

• CdBMember2014
  • Class III
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-0
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2011, 08:09:11 PM »
Looking to paddle main 12 and 13 Nov.  Anybody interested?

Offline JohnCyr

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
    • Ottawa Whitewater
Re: Ottawa River Level +6 Visual of the Main Channel
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2011, 06:55:27 PM »
Hey guys! A buddy asked me about the Main at +6 and what it looked like. I remember Ryan Whetung made a video this winter/spring and the level was +6. Heres a visual! Colli looks  BIG and AWESOME!. Im aiming to go on November 18th or 19th and will make a post as time approaches. Till then.. enjoy!

http://vimeo.com/27656420

Offline CaroDulu

• CdBMember2022
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-4
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2011, 02:15:49 PM »
Hope that helps!

--C.

Hi Christian,

Yes, it helped... alot ;-)  As it was a very thorough answer!
Thanks  ;D
Caroline

Offline jonyak

• CdbMember2018
  • Class V
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2011, 02:05:22 PM »
Sunday, I also checked Hog's Back. Well, I am quite sure that CUKC annual Hog's Back Huckfest didn't happen... The water is (IMHO) TOO LOW to be safe! The river bed is littered with strainers, rocks etc. that normally would be well under water, and because of that, the flow after the main drop is straight into a wall. Unfortunately I had no camera with me but I described it on the photo below.

I actualy was talking to brandon fasan last night and he was telling me it was at a good level, and he had just come back from running it.

he was trying to get me to go run it on saturday, saying there is going to be a large group there running it.

I don't know though I have never run it myself. You probably know better than me. :)

Yup! Brandon ran it yesterday IIRC from Facebook!
 Apparently its good to go now.
Id go run it if I had a proper boat..

Ya, I actualy ended up returning the Solo, as I could just not get it comfortable, so I am lacking a proper boat right now as well.

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2011, 01:56:49 PM »
Well, I'm not sure I would *always* follow Brandon's advice. But prehaps I misjudged the flow near the bottom, and that it does not crash into the wall. I only stood on the river-right bank anyway.

If it wasn't for that part which I haven't scouted properly, yes I would run it at this level. And many people did run it on Saturday, as John said. Oh well, I missed it, being on the Ottawa at that time.  

For the Rouge 'Seven Sisters' section (the run MINUS the 5 waterfalls), 65 on the gauge should be a little easier than the canyon at the level that we ran it last week. Here's my take on the relationship between level and difficulty for the Seven Sisters section:

30: Maximum SANE level for the waterfalls, although some do it up to 40.

40: Pretty much the LOWEST level to have an enjoyable run. As Kelly found out, boulders have a tendency to sneak up on you. Elizabeth's Drop is easy, and despite Paul's opinion, the Washing Machine is fun (and you can sneak through the Drier instead). Below this level, it's like a maze, with rocks to avoid everywhere. The seal launch is high, but you land in slow moving water.

40-80: Many boulders are now submerged, the run is fun and people choose between the Washing Machine and the Drier.

80-100: Many beginners are not running it anymore. Elizabeth's Drop might flip you, and you don't go through the Washing machine (if you can avoid it). This summer, the Rouge Jamboree took place when the level was 85, and the turnout was lower as many less-experienced paddlers elected to stay home that weekend. Still, we ran the river three times in our playboats without (too much) problems.

120: It gets interesting. It's pushy from Slice'n'Dice to the Washer Machine, and the first and last rapids are fully Class III. Still fun in a playboat, but some consider bringing a larger boat.

160: Pretty much the highest I would do this run in a playboat. Large (8 feet) waves form above Slice'n'Dice, big holes need to be avoided and you don't want to go near the Washing Machine. The seal launch is low, but the current is strong there. Better to walk...

Above 160: go to the Canyon section.

Hope that helps!

--C.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 02:02:37 PM by ChristianG »

Offline JohnCyr

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
    • Ottawa Whitewater
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2011, 01:40:20 PM »
SOoooo... Sewer Wave saturday followed by the AGM!!!! AWESOME!!!!

Paul (owner of a longish boat... ;D)

That, or the Rouge. It's now around 93, with a -7/day trend which means that it should be around 65 on Saturday: a friendly-medium level (i.e. fewer rocks to avoid, but easy-ish still). Unless it rains a lot in the meantime.

Ill be in the petite nation area and would be keen on the rouge if I can borrow a large creekboat (ie: SuperHero or Villain L)