Author Topic: 2011 Through the lens of my GoPro  (Read 3058 times)

Offline Bill Schlarb

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-1
Re: 2011 Through the lens of my GoPro
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 06:40:03 PM »
Good movie!

My current camera is mounted on the top of my helmet, and I think--especially with the GoPro wide angle view--that having it there and looking from a higher up perspective makes waves etc. look smaller and less intimidating than if the camera was at eye level. I used to have my old one mounted on the side of the helmet, and things looked more realistic. I will get the duct tape and re-mount my new camera!

You are right. Everything looks smaller than it is with GoPro. The footage of Coliseum was at +4. Surely doesnt look like it. Unless you are paddling 80 footers with The Bomb Flow boys... Your GoPro footage is going to make you look like a beginner running class 2 stuff! HAHAHA Ok.. Im exagerating! lol.

We had that problem when we ran the Pont du Gouvernement section of the Ouareau last spring. The Youtube video took out almost all of the vertical drop that you get in that section and made it look fairly straight forward. You can imagine our surprise when we got there and the tree line started to drop off real fast...

Bill

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ht7OOUjYv00

Offline JohnCyr

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +8/-6
    • Ottawa Whitewater
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 04:19:22 PM »
Good movie!

My current camera is mounted on the top of my helmet, and I think--especially with the GoPro wide angle view--that having it there and looking from a higher up perspective makes waves etc. look smaller and less intimidating than if the camera was at eye level. I used to have my old one mounted on the side of the helmet, and things looked more realistic. I will get the duct tape and re-mount my new camera!

You are right. Everything looks smaller than it is with GoPro. The footage of Coliseum was at +4. Surely doesnt look like it. Unless you are paddling 80 footers with The Bomb Flow boys... Your GoPro footage is going to make you look like a beginner running class 2 stuff! HAHAHA Ok.. Im exagerating! lol.

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +5/-6
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 03:56:56 PM »
Good movie!

Offline JohnCyr

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
    • Ottawa Whitewater
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 11:41:32 AM »
HAHAHA Yeah! That was my goal! I wanted to see how transitions looked etc..Turned out nice IMO! haha

And I did not swim time! Actually.. I didnt swim at all on the Ottawa this summer! :)

Offline Falls

• CdBMember2014
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 08:27:44 AM »
Watched it last night.  Excellent work.  I like the way you took advantage of underwater time to cut segments together, but was really confused the first time I noticed it.

"Oh, he's gonna swim.  Gonna swim!  Swimming!  With a boogie-board?! What?"

Offline Paul Potvin

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-2
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 08:48:07 PM »
Nice!

Paul :)

Offline JohnCyr

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
    • Ottawa Whitewater
2011 Through the lens of my GoPro
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 09:05:00 PM »
This is my first attempt at an actualy edit. I used all my GoPro Footage from 2011 and some was filmed in 720p and others in 960p hence why it got compressed to a shitty 460p alltogether. All in all I am more than pleased with the results and my first year as a kayaker. Cant wait to get in a boat again!
Some of you will recognize yourself in there..in the carnage part that starts at around 5 mins.

Enjoy!

John ;D

http://vimeo.com/34757552

« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 06:38:20 AM by JohnCyr »