Author Topic: Champlainn Tuesday!  (Read 2248 times)

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +5/-6
Re: Champlainn Tuesday!
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2012, 05:22:04 PM »
Deschenes Channel Wave is also in and fairly nice! No ice anymore...Both eddies are there...  ;D

This is one to try right now!

Offline JohnCyr

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +8/-6
    • Ottawa Whitewater
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2012, 05:14:17 PM »
Deschenes Channel Wave is also in and fairly nice! No ice anymore...Both eddies are there...  ;D

Offline Paul Potvin

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-2
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2012, 02:47:21 PM »
Okay, I'll go for a short paddle at 5pm. Martin let Richard know that he can try my Blunt. I moved the foot brace back all the way!

Paul ;D

Offline Martink

• CdBMember2014
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +3/-1
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2012, 10:02:34 AM »
Wow when I went to surf it with Brandon I only remember seeing 1 good wave the 1st one.

Offline JohnCyr

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +8/-6
    • Ottawa Whitewater
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2012, 07:19:39 AM »
Lets calm down for a minute here! haha.

Brandon did put rocks in the edy about 15-20 feet below the wave and the storm drain where the eddy end just to make it a tiny bit longer and give a little more time to make the eddy.  Those rocks arent bigger than a dictionary and will all wash way and HAS started to wash away with the raising flows and levels. Im not sure what youre trying to say here but the city surely doesnt give a sh*t about some kids dropping rocks to make an eddy.. For all I care, they could be Inukshuks and no one would care or even post about it. That pile of rock Brandon made actually helped most of us make the eddy that one day Paul came out to film and I was there with the Project X64.. The wave was no different that what it was last year.

This doesnt change the characteristics of a wave 15 feet upstream. Lets not point fingers here, Ive heard quite a few of you talk about bringing rocks to Dessert Wave to create an eddy before. And some of us paddlers have at some point tried to improve a feature we were on or access to a feature.

Sewer Wave for as far as I can remember has been Dam, Ice, Storm Drain Flow and Level dependant. If the eddy is shitty, means the drain isnt flowing much. If the wave is too green on appropriate levels, means only the river left gates are opened, if the ice is gone on that rock shelf, the water will not "channelize" towards the wave and go over the rocks and so on!

Also, Ottawa and the NCR is right on a techtonic plate and small eartquakes can impact river bed just as Larger than normal springflows as most of you have seen with Center Wave at Champlain in the past.

If sewer wave looks shitty..it surely aint the fault of some tiny little rocks.

I went to Sewer Wave today and it was Stellar. 3 waves to surf, a massive eddy to catch!

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2012, 08:21:14 PM »
Yes. In my opinion, it was better WITHOUT the added rocks.

Offline JohnN

• CdBMember2019
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-1
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2012, 08:16:15 PM »
Really, you've found it's gotten worse in recent years?  I wouldn't think there would be a lot that could go wrong with that rock shelf of an eddy, other than people trying to "fix" it and having the boulders scattered around every time it washes out. Not unlike the attempts to "fix" the eddy at the top of Champlain, which has given us unretrievable large rocks that you have to watch out for at lower levels.

I haven't paddled the sewer enough recently to judge that the eddy is any worse than it used to be. Like Mark, I never found the eddy that bad. Indeed, getting off the wave quickly and on the right line and making the attain was always part of the (fun) challenge.  I've seen that pile-of-rocks eddy fence a few times in the last couple of years, and I found it only gets in the way of getting off the wave quickly and on the proper line for a quick recovery.  You have to drop behind it before you can start paddling hard to shore - that's not the best line!

My $0.02 would be to leave well enough alone...

John

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2012, 05:57:37 PM »
You now the eddy is not that good when you have someone piling 500 pounds of rocks into the river to try to make an eddy.   Btw that was brandon fasan trying to do that.

Martin, Mark and all:

Indeed. In 2008 (at least) the eddy was large and recirculating all summer, well into September, and easily held 6-7 boats. It hasn't been like this since.

Some people, including Brenda Fasan, are modifying the eddy near the wave; I found out about this yesterday. I'm not sure they actually know what they are doing, it may very well be the opposite of an improvement. And they are doing this near the exit of a storm drain!

Someone needs to take a look and see if their handiwork ins't going to result in the city of Gatineau declaring the area off-limits...

--C.

Offline Martink

• CdBMember2014
  • Class V
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2012, 10:37:30 AM »
Yep

Offline Paul Potvin

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2012, 09:22:39 AM »
Yeah , that's John's boat! She's been talking about getting it.

See you guys Thursday!

Paul

Offline Martink

• CdBMember2014
  • Class V
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2012, 11:27:33 PM »
Yes but for some reason she was trying a C1 and was thinking of buying it, don't ask I was totally confused.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 01:10:45 AM by Martink »

Offline Paul Potvin

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2012, 11:09:02 PM »
Did you guys meet up with Marie-Eve?

Paul

Offline Martink

• CdBMember2014
  • Class V
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2012, 09:43:27 PM »
But I respect if you like it, I like the wave too just to get back  on it was a pain in the butt.

Offline Martink

• CdBMember2014
  • Class V
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2012, 09:30:01 PM »
You now the eddy is not that good when you have someone piling 500 pounds of rocks into the river to try to make an eddy.   Btw that was brandon fasan trying to do that.

Offline Mark.D.

• CdBMember2012
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-1
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 09:09:53 PM »

sewer wave has a great eddie , the thing you need to do is peel of the wave before you get blown off ,  and paddle in hard.