Author Topic: Beaver Creek  (Read 1122 times)

Offline Jay G

• CdBMember2012
  • Class II
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-0
Re: Beaver Creek
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2012, 07:03:18 PM »
yeah, crappy luck but the good news is I start physio next week. Hope to be out late summer/early fall!

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +5/-6
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2012, 11:45:31 PM »
Whoa... Wayne Donison just told me about Jay's shoulder... Hope you get better!

--C.

Offline jonyak

• CdbMember2018
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-1
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 06:10:33 PM »
I would be interested in a first aid course for sure.

I am certified in first aid and cpr, but just normal, so the wilderness would be great. That and a swiftwater rescue course.

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +5/-6
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 04:02:25 PM »
A club WRT and/or WFA course is something we're trying to organise for this summer. Good luck Jay, it sucks to be out right at the beginning. And considering it is a soft tissue injury, don't go do anything silly to reinjure it!

Offline Jay G

• CdBMember2012
  • Class II
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 03:39:52 PM »
Actually, jsut having gone through the (painful) process and speaking to 2 doctors and a sports physiotherapist, it is best to leave the shoulder dislocated and let a doctor do it.  Reducing it yourself/with first aider should only be done in an absolute emergency as you can really do alot of damage if you dont do it properly. 

But you are right- it is a good skill to have especially if you are on a multi-day trip.  Fortunately, we were able to get me off river within about 2 hours of it happening.

Now that I have a few weeks to "reflect on things" I will probably sign up for a wilderness first aid course myself..

Offline Jeremy Poulin

• CdBMember2012
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-0
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 11:40:13 AM »
Take a wilderness first responder course, usually 72hrs, very much work the money, and they show you how to fix a dislocated shoulder. Not that hard, but I'm glad I've never had to do one!
jer

Offline jonyak

• CdbMember2018
  • Class V
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 11:10:03 AM »
Yeah, she was dislocated alright...the saddest part was watching them cut the drysuit off!  Thumb is (miraculously) not broken! Thanks for the rescue!

I am glad you are ok now!

I have been watching videos on how to reduce shoulder dislocations all day, but from what I read its probably best we didn't try. You can end up doing more damage if you don't know what you are doing. The best thing to do is to immobilize the arm and get to a hospital.

Offline Jay G

• CdBMember2012
  • Class II
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 11:06:37 AM »
Yeah, she was dislocated alright...the saddest part was watching them cut the drysuit off!  Thumb is (miraculously) not broken! Thanks for the rescue!

Offline freeboater

• CdBMember2013
  • Class II
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-2
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 10:56:54 AM »
The river demanded many a sacrifice yesterday.

Glad to hear you're alright Jay, hopefully it's a fast recovery.

Offline jonyak

• CdbMember2018
  • Class V
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 09:21:16 AM »
So you did dislocate it?

I am so glad we got you out.

That was pretty hardcore.

How is your thumb?

Offline Jay G

• CdBMember2012
  • Class II
Beaver Creek
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 09:17:46 AM »
Beaver Creek was awesome yesterday!  The level was about 21 and the river was at about the perfect level! A bit of carnage though- Steve cracked a brand new paddle on Double Drop right at the begining of the run (great off hand roll with 1/2 a paddle though!). Yours truly popped out a shoulder at Diamond Cutter :(  Thanks to Jon and crew for the lengthy rescue (this one should count for at least 3 rescues!). Gonna be a long recovery- I'll be nursing this one hardcore for a few months and hopefully get out in the fall!