Author Topic: GREAT WATER LEVELS for the KIPAWA!  (Read 3535 times)

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +5/-6
Re: GREAT WATER LEVELS for the KIPAWA!
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2012, 03:11:40 PM »
Ok...

I know that the festival site (kipawa.ca) does not have all the information, but since directions to the hamlet of Laniel QC can easily be found using tools like Google Maps or the likes, I thought that the map that I posted
(http://www.cdb-ottawa.com/simplemachinesforum/index.php?topic=4923.msg13506#msg13506)
would carry enough information to find everything. I guess I was wrong... Here are the numbers:

--Hollywood rapid, take-out, rally headquarters and camping at Kipawa River Lodge
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kipawa_River):
47.049383 N, 79.388000 W

--Turn off from HW 101 to go to above-mentioned place:
47.112190 N, 79.363795 W

--Hamlet of Laniel, put-in and camping, all within a short walking distance of each other
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laniel,_Quebec):
47.041969 N, 79.270583 W

I've re-posted the map below.

--C.

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2012, 02:31:39 PM »
"Which campground??"

A quick look at the map that I posted earlier will reveal those locations...

It looks like Bastien and I will be leaving Friday morning.

--C.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 02:35:15 PM by ChristianG »

Offline RobertM

• CdbMember2018
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-1
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2012, 11:41:49 AM »
? Camping is available at the takeout for $20 per night (includes rally registration)

? Camping is also available at the putin in the village of Laniel (separate registration fee of $5 should be paid at takeout)

Which campground??
Robert

Offline coolfarmer816

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-3
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2012, 10:49:03 AM »
Option 3 for Mike R. and me (leaving Thursday 17:00  Eagleson park) and hope not meet a moose caus my doctor advise to reduce red meat  :)

Daniel

Offline wendy

• CdbMember2018
  • Class III
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2012, 09:47:13 PM »
It's great to see all the interest!  It's going to be a fantastic weekend.  The levels are confirmed at 130cms which are excellent levels.
See you on the Kipawa!
Wendy

Offline Dani

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-1
  • Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2012, 08:19:07 PM »
Here's another member of the working class - I won't be able to leave before around 2.30 pm on Friday but am still contemplating about joining the party - any interest in car-sharing?
Dani

Offline Jeremy Poulin

• CdBMember2012
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-0
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2012, 04:43:04 PM »
No choice for me, stupid work!
Leaving Friday evening, won't be there til 12 or 2
When do people usually get up/put on?
I plan on camping at the take out (assuming I can find it lol)
Someone leave a light on? lol
See you in the morn!
jer

Offline Micratech

• CdBMember2015
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2012, 04:40:21 PM »
Remember that we are close to the summer solstice and we are going north.  I remember noticing that it was still light at 9:45 up there, so the majority of any post work drive to Laniel
is not in the dark...

\MR

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2012, 03:20:44 PM »
Hi all.

Here are some options, in decreasing order of desirablilty in my experience. In all cases, return trip can happen after Sunday run, or Monday morning:

1. Leaving Thursday morning, with optional quick run of the Petawawa town section to break the trip. This means arriving in Laniel before sunset, better to set up tents etc. and allows to run the Kipawa river on Friday well rested.

2. Leaving Friday morning, with optional quick run of the Petawawa town section to break the trip. This means arriving in Laniel before sunset, better to set up tents etc. and allows to run the Kipawa river on Saturday well rested.

3. Leaving Thursday after work. This means driving unfamiliar roads in moose land in the dark and arriving at Laniel around 12:00, with not much marging for unexpected events (and believe me--they do happen). Setting up tents etc. in the dark. A run of the Kipawa would be possible on Friday, but not in ideal conditions...

4. Leaving Friday after work. This means driving unfamiliar roads in moose land in the dark and arriving at Laniel around 12:00, with not much marging for unexpected events (and believe me--they do happen). Setting up tents etc. in the dark. A run of the Kipawa would be possible on Friday, but not in ideal conditions...

Based on my experience of previous Kipawa rallies and other similar trips, options 1 and 2 are the most reasonable. For the folks who can not take the whole of Thursday off, leaving Friday morning makes the most sense. Imagine driving unfamiliar roads in moose land for hours in the dark, then run a long and demanding river with only a few hours of sleep...

By the way, what I've seen is that many people find out, after running the river once, that they don't have the energy for a second run the next day. It's not the Ottawa or the Gatineau... On the other hand, I did this run for the first during my second paddling season. Of course I went into every hole I was supposed to avoid, hit every wave the wrong way, but I was in a creek boat and I could roll that boat close to 100% of the time, so I had fun anyway. I do not recommend swimming in this river, however, even if many do... Some people do the run in a playboat, but the river is very long and you get pretty tired by the end. So in order to enjoy myself, I will bring a big creek boat again.

So what do you all think?

--Christian
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 03:25:47 PM by ChristianG »

Offline Micratech

• CdBMember2015
  • Class IV
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2012, 12:06:09 PM »
Here's an excellent description of the rapids on the Kipawa:

http://kipawariver.ca/?page_id=57

Shivers running down my spine now - gonna be a blast!   :-)

\MR

Offline Micratech

• CdBMember2015
  • Class IV
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2012, 11:56:50 AM »
Dani -

If you can run a sauber line thru Coliseum you can do the Kipawa.  That being said, you will be challenged.  There are some rapids where portaging is not a trivial option; for example the top part of Hollywood requires some serious bushwacking if you want to portage.  (unless that has changed; last time I did it was 2006).   I'll try to dig up a description of the rapids which I had  back then.   Overall, its is a magnificent river and a lot of fun!     

It is 424km from Ottawa to Laniel, QC (the put in).   Google maps has it as 6.0 hours; which is
very conservative. 

I'm looking to carpool; would like to leave Thursday night in order to paddle Friday thru Sunday.

Mike R.
613-823-4385

Offline bastien86

• CdBMember2012
  • Class IV
  • Whitewater KAYAKinG is too Funny! playboat my love
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2012, 11:18:01 AM »
Dani the rapids on this river is class 3-4 and big rapids can be walking.

I did last year whit the club from abbitibi it uses this river like a shcool river and there was boaters from different levels it's sure all boaters have fun on this river But it's a long river which takes
several hours (16km) ...rool the boat at 85% is recommended.

Daniel I will carpool whit you probably.

Bast
819-3501342
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 11:45:13 AM by bastien86 »

Offline Dani

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-1
  • Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012, 08:48:18 AM »
You mean over 6 hours drive??? When are you heading out, Daniel? Do you think I could do this river?
Dani

Offline coolfarmer816

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-3
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 06:58:21 AM »
I'm coming to.  6:30 hour road, no so bad  :)

If someone would like to carpool, let me know!

Daniel

Offline bastien86

• CdBMember2012
  • Class IV
  • Whitewater KAYAKinG is too Funny! playboat my love
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 07:28:44 PM »
JohnCyr Ne manque pas sa pour rien au monde this, its a exceptional river probably the better intermediary river from QC!

Bast