Author Topic: SRT / WRT training  (Read 6808 times)

Offline jhempste

• CdBmember2020
  • Class II
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-0
Re: SRT / WRT training
« Reply #83 on: August 23, 2012, 03:57:29 PM »
Also, IMHO, the best biners to have on your pigtails (for a right-handed person) is this guy:
https://www.ottawapaddleshack.ca/node/638

It's the easiest locking biner to open with one hand (the right one).

Oh, heck, is that why I was having so much trouble with the carabiners last weekend?  I thought it was just because I was clueless.  Now I am left-handed and clueless.  This reminds me of when I got my first (left-handed) Swiss Army knife. Great but I could not get the little screwdriver because they would not make one that threaded the other way to stow in my corkscrew.

Thanks, Christian, for pointing this out (as well as for providing a shopping list).

..Jan

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +5/-6
« Reply #82 on: August 20, 2012, 02:34:10 PM »
A pin kit? Could have needed one on Saturday after the Poop Chute on the Black, but we managed to recover the boat by hand...

I have enough pulleys, biners etc. to make another one, all you need is a bag.

Make sure you include in your kit a stick-clip like this (10$):
http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Climbing/Carabiners/PRD~4003-057/epic-stick-clip.jsp

However, this stick-clip works best with wire-gate biners, so make sure to have one that is compatible.

Also, IMHO, the best biners to have on your pigtails (for a right-handed person) is this guy:
https://www.ottawapaddleshack.ca/node/638

It's the easiest locking biner to open with one hand (the right one). The only drawback is the hook for the gate. Some other biners have a different gate which locks on a bulge instead of a hook, making unclipping easier, but after a year of using the above biner, I wouldn't want to lose it.

Finally, include in your pin kit a good length of 4 mm rope in addition to the 6 mm stuff for making Prussiks.

By the way--I finally lost my cheap McNett Knife
http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Paddling/KnivesSnorkelGear/PRD~4017-936/mcnett-saturna-knife.jsp

Do NOT buy this knife! It's only good for peanut butter. No joke here, as Paul can attest: last week I could not even cut the label off my paddling shirt with it!

As I said , I have a lot of gear for making a pin kit, I may be persuaded to part with some...

--C.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 04:26:49 PM by ChristianG »

Offline lafreniere.luc

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +13/-3
« Reply #81 on: August 19, 2012, 10:46:11 PM »
Fantastic weekend! For those that were on the course, here are the videos Lalo was speaking about. http://five2nine.ca/rescue-for-river-runners/ He's featured i many of them as well as other very familiar faces after spending the weekend at Esprit.

Great course, thanks Mike for organizing. And no thanks for making me spend more money... now I have to go and get myself a pin kit so I can practice and get good at it.

Offline CaroDulu

• CdBMember2022
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-4
« Reply #80 on: August 17, 2012, 12:35:52 PM »
It is my pleasure to do this!!
Can't wait!!
Caroline

Offline jhempste

• CdBmember2020
  • Class II
« Reply #79 on: August 17, 2012, 11:07:05 AM »
woot!  I will be there at 7 with all my gear... :)  thank you so much for this!

..Jan

Offline CaroDulu

• CdBMember2022
  • Class IV
« Reply #78 on: August 17, 2012, 10:35:01 AM »
Alright then, I am bringing my boat!!  Thought we needed a boat ;-)
Thanks Dani!

So, I can take a maximum of two people in my car, with gear and kayaks... sorry Dave, but I see Ryan is leaving in the evening as well asLuc.  Hopefully you guys can make carpooling arrangements.

As the women trio:

Meeting place is as planned:

232 Alexandre Tache in Gatineau at 7pm
Bring your boats, paddles, and all you equipment, as well as your straps as I only have two!

See you tonight!!
Caroline

Offline Dani

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-1
  • Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
« Reply #77 on: August 17, 2012, 10:25:26 AM »
I just called Esprit to register and they told me that it would be good to bring a boat. However, if we don't have one, they could provide us with a rental.
Dani

Offline lafreniere.luc

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
« Reply #76 on: August 17, 2012, 09:57:38 AM »
Self organization? HA! That's what we pay you for Mike!.... oh, wait...... never mind! ;)

And there will be alcohol at this event? I thought this was a pop and chip type event... geez now I have to make sure that I have beer! Who am I kidding, it's already in the cooler ;)

On a more important note, does anyone know how big the campground is? I mean so that we camp near each other ideally? Ryan, I'll have my cell phone on, hopefully I have reception with Rogers there. I'll text you once I arrive and try to explain where I am.

Offline Micratech

• CdBMember2015
  • Class IV
« Reply #75 on: August 17, 2012, 09:49:36 AM »
Caro et al - thanks so much for organizing all this! 

We have achieved the Holy Grail of Skills Development Liason involvement: self organization!   
;-)   

On another note, I spoke with the prez Bill Schlarb yesterday re: club subsidy.  The club does have cash, and will probably subsidize the course to some extent, but they want to defer the decision for a couple of months as they review the club's finances.  Recent and upcoming expenses include Beast Feast, AGM swag, and next winter's pool sessions.  Most likely the decision will be made by AGM time (typically November).  Stay tuned on this topic.

\MR

Offline Dani

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-1
  • Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
« Reply #74 on: August 17, 2012, 09:19:37 AM »
I would love to bring by kayak if possible.
Dani

Offline Falls

• CdBMember2014
  • Class IV
« Reply #73 on: August 17, 2012, 09:00:49 AM »
I'm heading up this evening, but I might make a Babyface detour on the way in.  Either way though, I can't leave town until my wfie finishes her workout at 5:00 ish.

All this to say I'll be rolling in after dark, so someone text me at some point so I won't have to drink alone tonight.  613 791 6332

I also have a friend joining us on the course.  He's either going to roll in very late tonight, or early tomorrow.

It sounds like we have a good group!

Offline CaroDulu

• CdBMember2022
  • Class IV
« Reply #72 on: August 17, 2012, 08:49:37 AM »
Called Esprit...

All we need to bring is:
PFD
Helmet
Water clothes
River shoes

I have decided to leave my kayak home for the weekend.

Are you guys brigning yours:

Dani?
Janet?
Dave?

Depending on the numbers of kayaks and gear that you guys will be briging, I will let you know if we can fit 3 or 4 people in the car!!

Caroline

Offline CaroDulu

• CdBMember2022
  • Class IV
« Reply #71 on: August 17, 2012, 08:33:03 AM »
yes, 7pm is great Caroline!  to clarify, is there room for my kayak too or should I leave it at home?   I don't think it's required for the course.

it will be great to meet you and Dani finally!

..Jan

OK... I will have to clarify this with Mike, as I thought we needed our kayaks and paddle, etc... for the course.
If we don't need to take all that gear, you can carpool with me as well Dave!  I will check Mike and repost soon!

Caroline

Offline DaveH

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-2
« Reply #70 on: August 17, 2012, 08:19:48 AM »
Hmmm, I'll be scrambling around doing stuff early this evening and then either head up mid-evening or early in the morning.

Offline lafreniere.luc

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
« Reply #69 on: August 16, 2012, 10:41:12 PM »
I'm planning on heading up tomorrow night. Once I get off work, I need to grab some food at the grocery store, throw my gear in the car and then head out. So I probably won't leave until after rush hour.