Author Topic: SRT / WRT training  (Read 6818 times)

Offline CaroDulu

• CdBMember2022
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-4
Re: SRT / WRT training
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2012, 05:43:40 PM »
Great idea Janet!
I'll see you at Beast Feast
Caroline

Offline jhempste

• CdBmember2020
  • Class II
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-0
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2012, 11:24:47 PM »
Caroline -- fantastic idea about pot luck!

And yes, Luc, if I could carpool with you that would be fantastic.

Will either/both of you be at the beast feast?  Perhaps we could talk more about this, then?

Offline CaroDulu

• CdBMember2022
  • Class IV
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2012, 08:16:34 AM »
How far is the LNN campsite from the road (i.e. how far does one have to walk with the gear from the car?)
Anyone interested in doing a potluck type dinner (every one brings a little something) for Saturday evening??

CAroline

Offline lafreniere.luc

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +13/-3
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2012, 08:49:42 PM »
Yeah, I can also drive and probably will drive... no problem for rides and stealing/using some of my gear for camping. I have enough camping gear for up to four people... so if someone needs plates, bowls, cups, utensils, air mattresses, random other stuff... I've got it all.

Offline Micratech

• CdBMember2015
  • Class IV
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2012, 12:37:50 PM »
Janet - absolutely no need to apologize - I fully welcome your organizing efforts!  I won't be participating in the course, so I'm very happy to see others leading the way!  :-)

\MR

Offline Falls

• CdBMember2014
  • Class IV
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2012, 11:00:40 PM »
Semi off-topic:
Is the camping really that close to LNN?
Is there any play on the middle channel at summer levels?
Is it even feasible to bring my boat, or should I expect to be exhausted and waterlogged by day's end?
Is there really a wave on LNN called "Walmart Wave" - because it has something for everyone?

Offline jhempste

• CdBmember2020
  • Class II
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2012, 10:12:25 PM »
Sorry Mike and Dave if I overstepped.  It was not my intention -- I was just trying to get a picture of what I needed to do before then.  I have never been to Esprit before and I appreciate the warning about distances!  I am buried deep in work and grad school right now so I need information in order to plan ahead (if that's possible).  I really appreciate your effort to organize the group for the course part.  Okay, this is me butting out now.

Offline DaveH

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-2
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2012, 05:34:20 PM »
Janet in case you are not aware of the locations it is ~50 km by road (~1hr driving) between the camp-site at Lower No-name (LNN) and the Hostel. Esprit also offers camping next to the Hostel but that is a different matter.

If you choose to camp at LNN, there shouldn't  be a whole lot of problems with piggybacking on other peoples stoves, coolers, beer-opener, or whatever. When this becomes a go and we get closer to the date we can work out some of those logistics. I will likely be driving, as will others, and there shouldn't be any problems with car pooling.

Ohh yah, I have heard though that the Esprit Hostel and their meals are quite excellent. But for me that is for another day.

Dave

Offline Micratech

• CdBMember2015
  • Class IV
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2012, 05:21:56 PM »
Janet - thanks for spearheading this.   I'm going to limit my role as Skills Development Liason on this course to trying to getting an appropriate headcount and to negotiate the best possible deal for the participants on this course.   

Some of you may wish to camp, and others may want to stay at the hostel - its up to you guys
to arrange food, lodging and transportation for this event.  I would recommend that you always mention that you are with the CdB club and should be getting at least a 20% discount.   :-)   

\MR

Offline jhempste

• CdBmember2020
  • Class II
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2012, 04:21:46 PM »
I received email from Esprit indicating that the hostel is available for $25 per night, and that the main hostel building has a communal kitchen and fridge.  I would like to explore this option.  Would this interfere with arranging the course?

Offline Micratech

• CdBMember2015
  • Class IV
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2012, 01:58:14 PM »
Caro - I think you are on your own to fulfill your epicurean desires for the weekend, but I am working on a club subsidy...   ;-) 

Details on how to pay coming soon.   Joanne - thanks for the update on Esprit - let's try to get them paid for this under the deadline.

Updated list:  (Bmag is out).   Can we get a 6th confirmed?

Interested: 
-------------
Dave H.
Luc L.
Ryan F.
Janet H.
Caroline D.

Maybes:
-------------
Emmanuel M.
Dani P.
Steven T.

Offline CaroDulu

• CdBMember2022
  • Class IV
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2012, 11:00:08 AM »
Please count me in, do I pay directly through the Esprit website?
I have updated the list accordingly!

N.B.  Mike, Can you see if you can get us a disocunted meal plan as well???

Thanks!!!
Caroline

Updated List: 

Interested: 
-------------
Dave H.
Luc L.
Ryan F.
Janet H.
Bob M.   
Caroline D.

Maybes:
-------------
Emmanuel M.
Dani P.
Steven T.

Please update list accordingly ASAP (copy/paste/repost!)

Offline jhempste

• CdBmember2020
  • Class II
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2012, 06:01:37 PM »
Thanks for this Joanne.   I will arrange payment later this week.  I emailed Esprit to get more information about camping there since I am not much of a camper but I have not heard back yet.  I have a tent and stuff, but I am wondering about refrigeration...

Question to those who are going -- is there a carpool opportunity?  My husband may need our car over the weekend, as the 18th is my nephew's birthday.  I am totally willing to pay for gas, and beer, as necessary.

Janet

Offline Joanne

• CdBMember2015
  • Class III
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-2
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2012, 08:25:03 AM »
Hi, Esprit is being featured in a CBC show, The Big Decision (Dragon's Den spin-off). They were hit with huge losses this winter resulting from losing their Mexico business due to the security situation and due to a fire that took out their main vehicle and a ton of their equipment. Anyhow, they are having trouble absorbing the losses and have looked to the show to help.
The whole point of this is that the lady from the show has issued a series of challenges and if they meet them, they will make a $250k investment.
All the challenges have to be completed by August 7th. One is to increase recurring and referral business so it would be really helpful to Esprit if everyone who is taking the course books by August 7th!!

Also, I'll post separately, but they're having a big event August 7th at their Camp de Base. With all they do for the whitewater community, I hope that lots of people show up!

Offline bmag

• CdBMember2012
  • Class II
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2012, 08:39:10 AM »
I just found out that weekend won't work for me.
Sorry guys, hope you have a good one!

Bob