Author Topic: BeaverFest  (Read 3007 times)

Offline Jeremy Poulin

• CdBMember2012
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-0
Re: BeaverFest
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2012, 08:30:20 PM »
Thanks for the pic post Christian!
What a great run, I'm so stoked we did it!! Still grinning!
jer

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +5/-6
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2012, 06:45:05 PM »
and of Jeremy's:

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
Re: BeaverFest--Photos
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2012, 06:41:29 PM »
Some pictures of my run:

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
Re: BeaverFest--Photos
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2012, 06:37:06 PM »
Here are a few photos of the Beaver Eagle section. The whole thing is maybe 500 m long, and steep... To put it in context, here's a view of Jeremy and myself catching our breaths after the 2nd slide. Only one slide remaining a few meters below the eddy on the picture, then a sweet 3 m drop (thanks Jacques for the photos):

Offline Cindy D

• CdBMember2015
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-1
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2012, 07:44:45 PM »
Thank you for your advises, it's very appreciated.  I have read the AW description, the Talorville is where I wanted to go but, I wish I could have gone with someone I know and trust and who also knows the river a little.  I'll pass for this year, I just got my Diesel and Christian pointed out that I should try it in a safe place to learn how to handle it before I get out on a river.  It just makes sens.  I have never considered running the Moshier or Raquette, I am not there yet.

Thanks anyway and have fun there!

Offline Late Ray

• CdBMember2013
  • Class II
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-0
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2012, 04:57:19 PM »
Taylorville is a great place to learn all the basic creekboating move. You still need a good intermediate skill set, but if you don't know how to boof, have never run a slide, etc., this is probably the best section to learn on.  Spots like Beaverator which can dish out a pounding are easily walked.  While the first slide is intimidating looking, it's really quite straight forward: it's not very fast moving and because it is so shallow, it's actually pretty hard to flip on.

That said, do your research! Know your ability.  Paddling events like Beaver weekend and Moosefest are great in that you can see many people run the lines (well and poorly).  The problem is, this can lead to a lemming mentality where people who maybe shouldn't run something get a false sense of security after seeing so many people run it. 

If you haven't gone before, particularly if you are planning on running the Moisher section: at the least, please read the American Whitewater description.  Even though it is clearly stated there, it's amazing how many people do not realize there is a sieve in the 3rd drop.  There are a few people who are very lucky to be alive after they were sucked into it.

Have fun, play safe.

Offline Cindy D

• CdBMember2015
  • Class IV
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2012, 03:59:24 PM »
Thanks guys, I will go climbing instead.  It doesn't look like a good place to try my new boat.

Offline JohnCyr

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +8/-6
    • Ottawa Whitewater
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2012, 02:40:43 PM »
I agree with Louis. This is a stay upright kid of river as far as I can see. Also Remember, youre in the US of A. Break some ribs or a collar bone and spit out the cash..that or have a painful 3-4 hour drive home to wait 8 hours in the emergency room! Talk to Bill about it.

IE: If youre used to the Ottawa and youve never ran ST CHUTE, Elevator shaft or Staircase on the or Little Trickle..because youre not sure you can style it.....perhaps you should consider twice before heading down to NY to run the brown. As you can see...this is nothing like the Ottawa/Rouge/Gatineau and surely not a place to see if you still can roll!

Stay safe Yall

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gI2wPJ1i7Ao

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lNiMWxU5Hw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHdoBNj4UYg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEWu198m_wo&noredirect=1

Offline LouisD

• CdBMember2012
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +4/-4
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2012, 02:07:38 PM »
Mauser's Faceplant on Moshier has seen its fare share of CDB skin.
Dogleg had CDB swimmers vitising regularly and the bottom holes on the first Taylorville rapid (Beaverator) and the long slide after that (Great White Slide) have provided plenty of entertainment.
Likely because of the significant differences from the regular runs:
- drop/pool, lots of water, wide channels with big error margins on the lines,
Versus
- narrow channels, quick paced slides covered by thin layer of water and offering no paddle purchase and little control, tall waterfalls. All quite needing some getting used to and skills.

Quite a lot of fun for the sufficiently skilled intermediate paddler.
But this is not like the Ottawa or Gatineau where a flip or a swim bares little to no consequences.
Painful for the not so skilled ones has the rocks will rob skin off their face or/and knockles.

Better inquire around to validate if you've got sufficient skills at this point to make it enjoyable or at least safe enough.

LD

Offline Jeremy Poulin

• CdBMember2012
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-0
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2012, 01:01:55 PM »
I'm sure tons of people would be willing to give you a hand on the river, Cindy. As I recall, most of the rapids are easily scoutable, and most of the drops are fairl consequence free (except Moshier falls, of course)
jer

Offline Cindy D

• CdBMember2015
  • Class IV
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2012, 10:05:32 AM »
I'd like to go too but I need coaching on this river and I can't make it to CB tonight.  Please, keep posting.

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2012, 06:24:44 PM »
and where is located the campsite for the beaverfest?

Soft Maple Campsite
Soft Maple Road,
Croghan NY 13327
(315) 346-1756

http://maps.google.com/maps?daddr=43.915377,-75.225559&hl=en&sll=43.915362,-75.225513&sspn=0.008053,0.021136&t=h&mra=mift&mrsp=1&sz=16&z=16

They don't take reservations, but the guy told me he'll find room for us when we show up, unless we have big trailers or RVs...

--C.

Offline coolfarmer816

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-3
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2012, 04:54:55 PM »
like to come and see tomorrow who's coming

Daniel

Offline bastien86

• CdBMember2012
  • Class IV
  • Whitewater KAYAKinG is too Funny! playboat my love
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2012, 09:05:44 PM »
and where is located the campsite for the beaverfest?

Offline bastien86

• CdBMember2012
  • Class IV
  • Whitewater KAYAKinG is too Funny! playboat my love
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2012, 09:05:16 PM »
cool merci johnCyr je vais communiquer avec.