Author Topic: BeaverFest  (Read 3010 times)

Offline JohnCyr

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +8/-6
    • Ottawa Whitewater
Re: BeaverFest
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2012, 08:42:34 AM »
louisD do you already do the Raquette river in the past
OR
 do you know a guy who know the rapids on the RAquette ?

Bastien,... talk to Mike McKay on Facebook. Hes headed down there for the raquette race on the 3rd. Il a besoin de photographe/kayakiste pour loe prochain episode de Currents! Tu aurais en masse le temps de voir/filmer les lignes et les faire toi meme! :)

Offline LouisD

• CdBMember2012
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +4/-4
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2012, 10:42:59 PM »
I think I know myself, therefore, that would be a yes on both counts...

As per my previous post:
I went down La Raquette last year after an evening of drinking vodka, a serious handgover and (some will remember) a night under my umbrella... Stepping on the river, I told myself I wasn't in good shape enough to run class V... So I skipped the 3 class V.

Offline bastien86

• CdBMember2012
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-1
  • Whitewater KAYAKinG is too Funny! playboat my love
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2012, 08:31:34 PM »
louisD do you already do the Raquette river in the past
OR
 do you know a guy who know the rapids on the RAquette ?

Offline LouisD

• CdBMember2012
  • Class V
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2012, 02:19:27 PM »
I'm thinking about it,
but this is a signigficantly bigger undertaking than the Rouge waterfalls although the 3 class V are very walkable.
Saturday and Monday are the last 2 release days for La Raquette, BTW.
And I would think my buddy TJ would like another go at the Tub.

There is only 3 big class V, lines are fairly simple, but you have to hit them and the risk of injury quite high.

Likely be decided Sunday evening, if we can muster sufficient courage and crew.

LD

Offline bastien86

• CdBMember2012
  • Class IV
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2012, 01:56:51 PM »
LouisD are you planning to run the Raquette?

Offline LouisD

• CdBMember2012
  • Class V
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2012, 04:18:19 PM »
Taylorville is accessible to a lot of people. Now rated IV by AWW. Easy to scout and walk anything.
Good place to experience creeking and slides with people to teach and help you.

There is a step up in the crowd running the Moshier. The last boof and subsequent S shaped rapid on Moshier's first section (after the lake) still remembers some of the CdB paddlers from the amount of skin and dignity left. And it's last rapid (Moshiers Falls, AWW says V now) has seen plenty of carnage and several months of recovery from the beloved and actual CdB president. You can still run what you want and walk the rest. The waterfalls and slides in the first section and the nice 2 sections would make it worthwhile in anyway.

I would run Eagle (drop/pool class V) creek before Moshiers Falls as you basically need to link hard IV/IV+ moves to make it down safely, while with Eagle being drop/pool you can enter and exit whereever you want and pick your fight.

I'd say the crowd at LaRaquette is 2 steps up from Eagle and Moshiers; you see seasoned class V paddlers there. It's not a place to check if you can paddle or not or understand what a boof is. It has 3 significant class V rapids with names like Particule Accelerator. One of them is the Tub... Innocent name for a hell of a washing machine experience if you miss your line by 10 inches. I went down La Raquette last year after an evening of drinking vodka, a serious handgover and (some will remember) a night under my umbrella... Stepping on the river, I told myself I wasn't in good shape enough to run class V... So I skipped the 3 class V... In our group, noone ran the first rapid - Colton Falls...a scary slide with delicate entry, bad rocks during the steep and long slide and worse ending with a huge hole across... Later heard that Vincent Dupont swam it that same day. After watching my buddy TJ being worked in the Tub for a few minutes and come out with less than a full paddle, I was happy about my decision to skip the class V... Even more happy when I saw Particule Accelerator; another (very) steep slide where you can't see where you are going and are typewrited a solid 10 feet in less than a sec. The rest of the river has a mix of class IV+, IV rapids making it one of the 2 best rivers I ran last year (not counting Chile). A beautiful and challenging river by any means.
It also has a walking path along its length as I recall.

Better bring a large river runner (Mamba, Diesel, Blunt, etc) or creeker to the Beaver. A creeker and additional protective equipement (elbow pads, throw rope, creeking helmet) is more than a good idea for Eagle and more so La Raquette.

Louis (in Montreal and eager for the Beaver and La Raquette)

Offline Jeremy Poulin

• CdBMember2012
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-0
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2012, 02:20:55 PM »
YUP!

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +5/-6
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2012, 01:50:47 PM »
Bastien, bring a creek boat. There is a little playspot at the end of the Taylorville run, but the point is to do the run 2-3 times instead of playing...

--C.

Offline Jeremy Poulin

• CdBMember2012
  • Class IV
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2012, 07:40:20 PM »
The Raquette is BIG. I've not run it, it freaked me out the one time I've seen it. One day though....
Bring your creeker for the Beaver. Don't know if there are playspots
jer

Offline bastien86

• CdBMember2012
  • Class IV
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2012, 10:18:20 AM »
IS it a river just for creek or i take my playboat too? Is there playspot on Beaver or around near for playboating???

AND  there is a RELEASE on the 1 september 2012 and 3 september 2012 for the RAQUETTE river  http://www.americanwhitewater.org/content/River/detail/id/1387/#main == at 720cfs (difficulty4+)
  I never run this river but i heart on its very good . INTerresting looks this river.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 10:29:57 AM by bastien86 »

Offline jonyak

• CdbMember2018
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-1
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2012, 09:38:59 AM »
Well if its the weekend of the 1-2 I won't be able to make it, as I have a wedding.

As for what I paddle... Well the beaver would definitely be pushing my limits, but I don't think that's a bad thing. I am totally comfortable on the Ottawa, rouge (not 7 sisters falls), beaver/black on highway 7, and runs similar to these. I find them easy, and have been wanting to up my game.

Offline Jeremy Poulin

• CdBMember2012
  • Class IV
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 07:42:20 AM »
Jonyak, I don't know that we've paddled before, so i dunno what you usually paddle. The AW links Christian put up are a fairly accurate idea of em (maybe hyped a little). Its a sweet river, totally worth the drive (you can tell people your going to Beaverfest, how sweet is that lol)
Bast, I'll be driving down friday night, at some point, probably get to the campground around midnight. And plan on leaving monday after an early paddle, so mid afternoon
jer

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +5/-6
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 05:20:01 PM »
Beaverfest is during the Labour day weekend. Info:

Taylorville:  http://www.americanwhitewater.org/content/River/detail/id/2612/
Eagles:       http://www.americanwhitewater.org/content/River/detail/id/2614/
Moshier:     http://www.americanwhitewater.org/content/River/detail/id/2613/

There are releases on the Taylorville and Eagles sections on the other September weekends, Moshier only has water on September 2 from 10:00 to 14:00.

--C.

Offline jonyak

• CdbMember2018
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-1
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 10:53:06 AM »
I have been wanting to do this for a while.

What are the dates for it?

Offline bastien86

• CdBMember2012
  • Class IV
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 10:51:43 AM »
whats the date you will be there!

bast