Author Topic: Good News!  (Read 518 times)

Offline Paul Potvin

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-2
Good News!
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 09:59:26 PM »
62 rivers and the Pet is one.by Phitty ? Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:14 pm

From Phitty on Boatwerks

Link: http://www.boatwerks.net/boater-board/1/12681

Recently, the federal gov't declared that only 62 rivers across the country remained ?officially? navigable. The Petawawa is among them.

How did this happen? Our efforts and the efforts of paddlers and river folk across the country made a significant difference, I have no doubt. I have no other explanation, considering the many other, equally or more popular rivers that were excluded.

We aren?t rid of Xeneca yet, but things are looking up. Make sure to attend HOHW V (May 11/12)

+++

Here is how you helped make a difference!

Process: http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/mediaroom/backgrounders-npa-scheduled-waters-6909.htm

In particular note:

Quantitative Analysis Section #4: ?A score was generated using survey results of NWPP personnel that tap into their local knowledge of important navigated waters.?

I have no doubt that the countless letters, emails and phone calls that were directed to, Cc?ed or passed along to NWPP had a positive impact on improving the NWPP personnel?s ?local knowledge of the importance? of this navigated waterway.

Qualitative Analysis #3: ?local knowledge of each waterway with a perspective of changing navigation patterns over time that were not necessarily reflected in the data?

Hell or High Water accounts for ? I conservatively guess ? about half the total number of navigable trips down that section of river on an annual basis. This event, the publicity and promotion around it, coupled with repeated letters from WO clubs, members and non-affiliated paddlers helped in two ways. First, it made an ?on the record? statement, although unverified, about the number of river users. Second, it made that record easily available to NWPP staff.