Author Topic: Pet is Up!  (Read 2321 times)

Offline Jeremy Poulin

• CdBMember2012
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-0
Re: Pet is Up!
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2012, 05:08:18 PM »
Just got the best bad news. My friends had to cancel there trip for a visit, which leaves me totally free for a Saturday upper pet day.
Who's in?? Its getting close, lets get this sorted!
jer

Offline Jeremy Poulin

• CdBMember2012
  • Class IV
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2012, 06:37:19 PM »
I knew what you meant, fear not. I don't know how many people would be free for a monday paddle, but if there were people, I'd be interested!
Can't paddle saturday or sunday, so have fun and be safe any that go
jer

Offline Falls

• CdBMember2014
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2012, 09:04:42 AM »
Jer,
What I meant was, I'd go with you Monday if it was going to be more than just us.  I like you and all, but wouldn't want you to get the wrong idea...

Offline Jeremy Poulin

• CdBMember2012
  • Class IV
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2012, 05:30:25 AM »
Falls, I can't paddle sunday, rememberance day parade. I'm not sure how I feel about the Graunna thing lol, why does everyone feel its necesary to jam two names together? Stupid brangelina lol.
Christian, thats a great idea, dunno if its been done. You'd have to buy an overnight pass at the gate though, not a day use, I'd think...mind you this time of year......I've got no problems driving in in the morning, but for someone coming from out of town its a good plan
later
jer

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +5/-6
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2012, 07:41:05 PM »
Has anyone ever camped near the beginning of the railbed hike? There is remnants of paved roads, quite flat for any number of tents... Or at lake Travers. Drive up there in the afternoon, car camp with a good sleeping bag and run the river in the morning! Cool, litterally... --C.

Offline Falls

• CdBMember2014
  • Class IV
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2012, 07:33:44 PM »
Jer,
My preference would be a Monday run, but I may have my arm twisted into running with Brad and Graunna.

Offline Jeremy Poulin

• CdBMember2012
  • Class IV
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2012, 04:13:49 PM »
I agree with Shaunna and Graham. The walk in is not slippery (although some walk/scout trails may be). I might, MIGHT, be able to go saturday, and my thought on the matter is the earlier we start, the more time it gives us in case of an "oh oh" on the river. That being said, there is no need to drive into the park during day light hours (at this time of year, there will be no one at the gate anyways). Meeting at 7 would have us driving into the park as it gets light (for anyone concerned) and get us an extra hour of daylight. Yes, that means people coming from Ottawa are getting up at 4 or 430 ish, but there are more than a few Timmies along the way (and I get up at 5 every day, its not that bad LOL) and the river is worth it.
Personaly, I'd rather have an earlier start, which gives us some play, just in case of a swim, pin, injury or whatever...Just my thought (and yes, I'd make this same decision if I were driving from Ottawa, not Chalk)
As for Ryans comment about 3.145 level (yeah, I haven't figured out the quote thing) all I can say is, NERD lol
Thats my thoughts on the subject. As Graham said, we army folk have to parade on Sunday, so that won't work....unless people wanted to paddle monday? I'm not getting my hopes up there lol
later
jer

Offline ducky

• CdBMember2012
  • Class II
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2012, 02:12:31 PM »
Graham posting,

We know it's slag, but from our run in the spring I would hardly call it slippery, there was even some snow/ice still on the trail and it wasnt a bad hike at all! Brad Wipp used a C-tug for his boat with no problems at all, infact after watching him we're buying one for our boats. I didn't find any of the "feet sinking losing energy like sand" issues at all. Either way, all besides the point.

Were looking for people interested in the upper pet this weekend! likely Sunday, meeting at Doran and Baron Canyon Rd between 6 and 8am, Sunday is supposed to be 12 and sunny, though I know many of the military people will be busy, it may get shifted to Saturday depending on who can confirm.

From Doran + Baron Canyon were looking at a 2 hour drive, 45 min hike, 2-4 hour paddle, plus say an hour to sort gear out inbetween, an 8am meet should mean being off the water by 4pm. As Shaunna said, this is not a friendly run for beginners. It's a long river, many of the rapids are somewhat technical and will certainly provide a beatdown as a reward for mistakes. Given the remoteness of the river, that also adds a degree of difficuly as assistance is quite a distance away.

That being said, if interested let us know what day(s)/time(s) work for you!

Let the mighty Petawawa Pilgramage Begin!

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +5/-6
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2012, 01:37:52 PM »
"The rail bed is not exactly what I would call slippery slag"

Hi Shauna. Not to be too picky, but the Algonquin old railroad bed is precisely made of slag, a common use for this by-product of iron mining and refining which would otherwise end up as useless mounds. Go to Sudbury to see such mounds... Since it comes from the process of melting iron ore, this slag is less angular, rounder than gravel obtained by fracturing limestone, and is therefore more slippery. Not slippery as a banana peel, more like walking in the sand: every step wastes a bit of energy as the foot sinks a little bit. For this reason, wheeling your boat on a wheeled cart is not great, as I found out...

Cheers!

--C.

Offline ducky

• CdBMember2012
  • Class II
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2012, 01:22:26 PM »
Graham was posting above, here's my thoughts on it.

The sun rises at 7am and sets at 5pm that is 10 hours of daylight unless my math is off. The whole day shuttles and all requires 10 hours and daylight isn't a must to walk or drive.

The rail bed is not exactly what I would call slippery slag, more like railbed rocks aka not the most comfortable to walk on in thin shoes and has enough grip to take donations of hull plastic as you go.  ??? If anything, one could argue that it would make the trails to walk a rapid slippery but frankly that happens at any time of the year with a little rain. The kipawa was particularly treacherous if my memory serves me as far as slippery goes and it was a good run regardless.

I really want to go, feel that it would be a great run as the level is great and the water is not yet freezing cold. However that being said, I would NOT recommend this river to un-experienced boaters who don't have a solid roll. It's not a place I personally would like to swim and it is fairly remote. That being said some sections can be continuous but it is broken up with pools of varying sizes. We're not talking BC steep creeking here.

This would mean a really early start, especially for those coming from afar. It's all up to you as to how much you want to run it and if an early morning is worth it to you. It is a great run and it's not one where there are groups going on a regular basis given the distance. I felt that it was a bit of a pilgrimage of sorts and totally worth it.

If Graham and I can muster the people we ARE going, preferably with more people than less. Hope to see you there :)

Offline coolfarmer816

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-3
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2012, 12:59:49 PM »
The river right now is at 3.154

I'd rather run the Pet at 3.1415926

The pool session will be in febuary  :) :)

Offline ducky

• CdBMember2012
  • Class II
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2012, 12:58:01 PM »
We could of course just go for the upper with a *really* early start?

Offline Falls

• CdBMember2014
  • Class IV
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2012, 12:55:27 PM »
The river right now is at 3.154

I'd rather run the Pet at 3.1415926

Offline ducky

• CdBMember2012
  • Class II
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2012, 10:33:07 AM »
For the Upper Pet, from our carpool spot at the corner of Doran Rd and Baron Canyon Rd in Petawawa it is about a 2 hour drive to the put in, unload gear, 4km shuttle, followed by a 4km hike which takes about 45 mins your looking at 3.5-4 hours from the time of leaving petawawa to be on the river. The run takes 2-4 hours, followed by the 2 hour drive back out to Petawawa, total time ~10 hours. Definately a bit tight for a fall run, especially with daylight savings time.

The town section though is awesome, and as Jeremy said an excellent intro to the Upper as far as the same types of rapids/moves, and being as short as it is and right in town stopping for lunch is really convenient and doing upwards of 5 laps in a day is not out of the realm of possabilities.

The river right now is at 3.154, or 108.329cm/s (for reference this year summer low is about 2.1 or 4.5cm/s, spring high is around 4.2 or 340cm/s) Great level as all the rapids/features are in, but the water isn't too pushy so it's a bit safer.

Offline Martink

• CdBMember2014
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +3/-1
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2012, 09:13:27 PM »
Nice one Bastien  :P