Author Topic: Pet is Up!  (Read 2322 times)

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +5/-6
Re: Pet is Up!
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2012, 09:04:04 PM »
Correction. In my video, the level is much higher. And Bastien's beatdown at 3:35 happens at the same spot as Todd's beatdown in my video... I'll try to find a way to upload it! --C.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 09:05:37 PM by ChristianG »

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2012, 09:01:33 PM »
At 2:09, isn't it Jeremy taking his helmet off, and Shauna with her crazy helmet thing in the back?

The level is about the same as after HOHW III in 2011, I aslo have a video of this run from my helmet.

--C.

Offline bastien86

• CdBMember2012
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-1
  • Whitewater KAYAKinG is too Funny! playboat my love
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2012, 08:35:27 PM »

a little look on the upper at 3m17 its me stocked in the hole ahahahaahah

http://vimeo.com/41260274

Offline lafreniere.luc

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +13/-3
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2012, 07:58:53 AM »
Totally acceptable. Except for the part where you're going today! ;)

Sadly I can't make that happen since I'm visiting my parents and then on business in northern Ontario until Wed.

Oh well, I'll watch for other trips in the future.

Offline bastien86

• CdBMember2012
  • Class IV
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2012, 07:52:11 AM »
Dammn
Next spring for the upper.
I remember than the upper is a long run but so fuun runn
Jeremy poulin is a safe kayakist, I always follow his advise because he is solid and he play safe. I remember last time when we ran the park section on the petawawa he rescue DUCKY
From a several pinned luck for her as he was in the eddy behind the rock where she was pinned
last time we had Philip Compas as guide he knows very  good the petawawa

Offline Jeremy Poulin

• CdBMember2012
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-0
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2012, 01:51:57 AM »
Totally agree with Christian. The town section is a great intro, and to do it 2 or 5 times during daylight (although I've never done it more than twice in a day) is totally doable. It will give you a taste of the Upper (although the Upper is just a little bigger, and much longer) Christian is right though, from highway 17 the put in is almost 70km (I think) into Algonquin park, a few km of shuttle, and 4 or 5km hike in. It is worth the drive, and hike for sure, as its an amazing river, but scouting is needed, and while I'd be fine with bringing solid boaters who ahven't done the Upper, I think Christian was exageratign just a bit on my quality as a guide lol, I don't know most of the rapids (although have done the river a handful of times and am confident on it, I'd have to scout most as a refresher) I think waiting til the spring for the Upper is a good idea. I won't be able to do it next weekend (but should be good to go for the Town section on Saturday) as I have to parade for Remembrance Day on Sunday (somewhere...yet to be detirmined lol)
That being said, a handful of us (or at least 2 lol) are planning on running the town section tomorrow...well, today, I suppose (sunday) around 2pm. So assuming you all check this as soon as you get up, like I do, thats plenty of time to get up here! Its supposed to be partly sunny, and about 4 degrees, can't ask for much more this time of year. And with the best shwarma I've ever eaten on the shuttle route, what else are you gonna do on a sunday?
Later
jer

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 11:22:47 PM »
I've never done the Pet... but if you are willing to have me tag along, I would be totally up for it next weekend. (I would like to attend the annual club meeting though on Saturday, but that's not till 6PM).

Ha Ha! Thers's no doubt that you can do this run (the lower town section). As far as Bastien's suggestion, the upper section, that's another thing altogether. If some have never done it, much scouting will be needed, although Jeremy would be a top notch guide. The Upper Petawawa is a long day, even if you don't stop at all and boat scout everything, which only those who know the river well can do. It takes more than 3 hours to get to where you leave your car. Then a 4 km hike with boat and gear on an old rail bed covered in slippery slag, climbing at a low grade to get to the put-in. Then the run itself. At this time of the year, you'll be lucky to run the last rapid during daylight... And that's if nothing bad happens, which can't be guaranteed--every time I was there, something (bad swim, broken paddle, lost boat) DID happen.. Last time I ran the Upper Pet I was home around 11pm.

It's a great run at most levels (higher levels don't necessarily make it harder), but it's almost an expedition. Realistically, as the levels are rising at this time of the year, shorter runs like the Rouge are a better (and safer bet). Every time I ran the Rouge in November, the sun was setting when we did the last rapid and we changed into our street clothes in the dark...

That said, to get an idea of the Upper Petawawa, there's indeed the Lower (town) section! That is reasonable, you can even do it twice. I'd be there! And trust me, at a good level, it's impressive enough the first time... But the odds of being back around 6 pm are essentially zero.

Cheers!

--C.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 11:29:02 PM by ChristianG »

Offline lafreniere.luc

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +13/-3
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 08:30:25 PM »
I've never done the Pet... but if you are willing to have me tag along, I would be totally up for it next weekend. (I would like to attend the annual club meeting though on Saturday, but that's not till 6PM).

Offline bastien86

• CdBMember2012
  • Class IV
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 02:46:25 PM »
Next weekend the upper pet??

Offline Jeremy Poulin

• CdBMember2012
  • Class IV
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 01:57:11 PM »
2.9 and rising (equivalent of ~70 cms)
was posted on the river rats page on FB yesterday, so that gives you a rough flow idea
jer

Offline Jeremy Poulin

• CdBMember2012
  • Class IV
Pet is Up!
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 01:52:05 PM »
People have been asking me over the summer if/when it was coming up, and I was skeptical, but, ladies and gentleman, I'm proud to admit I was wrong, and the Pet is flowing! I don't know the level, (or where to find it lol) but judging by how it looked as I went over the town bridge, I'd say its around a medium ish level, mayb e just under medium, but looks fun! I'm going to try to make myself free for a sunday afternoon session. Anyone interested?? Way better than the Ottawa, and a super short shuttle, doing 2 runs (or more) in a day is no problem, as the run, with scouting takes no more than an hour. Also, there is a Tim's, and Mcdonalds on the shuttle, for those that need a hot drink between laps.
So, who's interested?
jer