Author Topic: Champlain  (Read 923 times)

Offline Martink

• CdBMember2014
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +3/-1
Re: Champlain
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2013, 05:18:19 PM »
Went to sewer wave today with, Brandon, Adam and cj. The wave was really good and so was the eddy (Didn't have to walk up once), I also broke a gasket on my dry top.  :(   But over all it was a great day  :)

Ps. The ice shelf below sewer is pretty far down, you would have time to swim to shore, if u did take a swim.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 05:20:37 PM by Martink »

Offline Mark.D.

• CdBMember2012
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-1
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 03:23:25 PM »
sometimes it's all about perspective , in a boat ice downstream doesnt look a big deal , I always think what if I swim , in water , swimming strokes that are 1/10th the power distance of being in a boat , if you cant swim it , don't go in it!

Offline JohnCyr

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +8/-6
    • Ottawa Whitewater
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 06:48:32 AM »
Ice Ice Baby!  ;)

Champlain is alright right now... Ice in the eddy below but its more like slush... kinda hard to go under the ice there... its shallow and no currents..

Sewer is another story,... The river is frozen solid around the bend about 150-200 yard below the wave... So swimming would be a very bad option as there is current there... You have plenty of time to roll up or swim to shore. Dont get freked out... Its safe to go play there... Surfers do it and swim etc..... But a few blown rolls could turn into a shitty situation if youre really unlucky. Use the buddy system! :)

Offline jonyak

• CdbMember2018
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-1
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 02:46:36 PM »
I have no issues with the cold water.

What I am more worried about is ice.

Offline Francois Leclerc

• CdBMember2022
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +2/-1
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 11:48:35 AM »
I drove by Champlain this morning and yep, it's definitely surfable!!  ;D  ...If you don't mind REALLY REALLY cold water of course!  ;)  Enjoy surfer boys!!

Offline Paul Potvin

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-2
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 09:24:16 PM »
Suffering from surfing deprivation since last August......Both spots look real good to me, maybe this Saturday if the weather warms up a little....:)

Paul ;D

Offline JohnCyr

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +8/-6
    • Ottawa Whitewater
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 10:40:57 AM »
Champlain is surfable but shallow and meh.... Sewer wave has been real nice and a treat lately! But swimmers beware... The riverbed is frozen solid about 150 yards below.

Offline AdamN

• CdBMember2023
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-1
Champlain
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 09:31:05 AM »
Took a look at Champlain wave on Monday.  Looks like there is a bit of a foam pile so you might be able to surf it - I did not look at the gauge. 

It's still mighty cold there but that did not stop people from backing in their cars where they could!!

Cheers,

Adam