Author Topic: The snow is melting, what rivers are you itching to paddled this spring?  (Read 1062 times)

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +5/-6
Fish creek = do it in a playboat haha ::)

Well, my playboat is almost a river runner anyway, Super Star 2009...

--C.

Offline bastien86

• CdBMember2012
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-1
  • Whitewater KAYAKinG is too Funny! playboat my love
Fish creek = do it in a playboat haha ::)

Offline JohnCyr

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +8/-6
    • Ottawa Whitewater
Its not "time off" work if I run into your workplace masked, punch you in the mouth, put a potato bag over your head and dragg you to my truck kidnapping style. They wont suspect a thing. You might have a fat lip but youll get to paddle. Let me know.  :)

Offline jonyak

• CdbMember2018
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-1
I want to paddle it all.

Unfortunately I have no extra time off work, as I spent it all on my month long grand canyon trip next winter.

Offline JohnCyr

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +8/-6
    • Ottawa Whitewater
My list is exactly the same as Christians!! :P

BTW the Cazy comes in soon... next week perhaps... Ive kept a few sick days because I want to hit it up at flood stage like last time... Roughtly 7-10 on the gauge!

Ill keep yall posted when the ice breaks!

Offline robert monti

• CdBMember2016
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-4
Christian, I would bring 2 boats for the St Regis/Fish combo. Creeker on the St Regis and my Fun for the Fish. A full on play boat would get uncomfortable. It's a long day on the Fish.

I like your list! The Fat Lady on the Indy always gets the adrenaline going.

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
Hmmm... Class III-IV stuff in the Spring:

Laurentians:
--Rouge Harrington
--Rouge lower section
--Achigan
--Ouareau aval du lac
--Ouareau Pont du Gouvernement
--Bonnie Brook
--Assomption (?? long drive)
--??

In NY:
--Lower Moose
--St-Regis
--Grasse Lampson Falls
--Great Chazy (?)
--Independence+Otter Creek (same day)
--Fish Creek
--Black River Watertown to Brownville
--Beaver, a few laps of Taylorville with Spring runoff (?)
--??

Forget about the Hudson gorge: not worth it anymore.

Any suggestion?

--C.

Offline lafreniere.luc

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +13/-3
Well, since this is my first spring with my creeker, I'm just looking forward to getting on any creeks at all! So I'll be watching the boards closely to see if I can insert myself into a trip or two. But I've had my eye on the Petawawa and the Achigan (from what Bill Schlarb told me, it sounds like a blast!).

But I'm definitely willing to travel a bit farther too, time permitting :)

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
Would you plan to run the St-Regis in a playboat, or run the Fish in a creekboat? Or bring two boats?

--C.

Offline robert monti

• CdBMember2016
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-4
The snow is melting, what rivers are you itching to paddled this spring?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 06:08:38 PM »
So what's on your wish list? Post it up.  Here's a start.

Long weekend is coming up at the end of the month. With a bit of rain and snowmelt, I'm hoping to start my paddling season with a St. Regis/Fish combo on the Easter weekend.  Many know the St. Regis, less so the Fish. It's a 15k run with countless surfable waves and a beautiful gorge with waterfalls pouring in on both sides in spring, side by side with 10-15 metre icicles clinging as the last vestiges of winter.  If you have "Let it Rain" a guide to paddling in the northeast - there's a great write-up on the Fish.  Last time Adrian and I ran it together, we couldn't feel our arms by the end of the run. Sheer exhaustion. Once I'm in New York anyway to paddle the St. Regis, might as well head a little further down the road and hit the epic Fish too. It should be running because the snowmelt from the Tug HIll plateau runs into the Fish. Here is the AW description:

River Description

Fish Creek may be the finest play river in the Northeast, with big, fast waves and holes that range from purring pussycat to sneering tiger. Paddlers may put in below the City of Rome dam (Lat: 43.3377991 Lon: -75.5815353) or at Point Rock (coords given below); the takeout is 1/2 mile below the town of Taberg along Blossvale Road (4.5 miles from the dam, feels like 10 miles).

Most of the action takes place below the dam; you get a shorter, concentrated run, but you have to walk your boat down to put in. The stretch from Point Rock to the dam is more mellow, but many paddlers use it, especially at higher levels (3 feet and above), because that avoids the long walk to the dam; also, the upper section does have good play and some beautiful scenery, with waterfalls (icy in the early spring) cascading down the steep gorge walls at every turn.

So, CDB'ers what about you? What's on your mind. After last spring's low water, I suspect there's a lot of dreamin and anticipating going on about now.