Author Topic: Kipawa June 21-23  (Read 7652 times)

Offline Jeremy Poulin

• CdBMember2012
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-0
Re: Kipawa June 21-23
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2013, 04:33:04 PM »
Hi all
SO I feel like a jerk for busting Sandras balls (so to speak) but I'm not gonna be able to make it this weekend. Things have come up, and its just too much stuff to get done in a weekend.
That being said, I will be in the Pet area, sooooo, if anyone wants to run the Town Section (as its called by us locals, not the "lower", Christian) Let me know who plans on doing it, and when
Sorry to those I told I was going, but look on the bright side, more fish for you!
later
jer

Offline Dani

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-1
  • Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2013, 08:36:23 AM »
Unfortunately, I don't think I'm civilized enough for the very long weekend option - uncivilized work calling.
Anybody planning to leave Friday before the rush hour traffic (but not early in the morning) and ideally coming back already Sunday night? Luc, I think you had similar plans - I promise I won't mention the c-word (but can't guarantee for not laughing tears when you start lecturing about it...).
I now have a Jackson Karma for the weekend, so hopefully no babysitting required this year (Paul, no comments, please - I missed you on the Ottawa, had already studied some basic eastern philosophy for you).
Dani

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +5/-6
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2013, 11:27:55 PM »
Tentative plans: driving Friday afternoon with potential Lower Petawawa run to break the trip, and coming back either Sunday night or Monday, again with optional Lower Petawawa run to break the trip. I might lend my car to a friend this weekend, so this year I may not drive my own car... Coming back Monday seems the more civilized thing to do...

--C.

Offline Dani

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
  • Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2013, 07:39:09 PM »
After having found out that I can stay upright in a boat like the Dagger Nomad, I would love to join you! Who is going when and for how long?
Dani

Offline CaroDulu

• CdBMember2022
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-4
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2013, 07:41:15 AM »
I may be interested.  How does this river compare to main channel and the Gatineau?
Is a river you can run with a playboat, or do you need a creekboat?

Thanks!
Caroline

Big water. Playboat possible, river runner or creekboat recommended: it's a long river, with 16 named rapids (compared to 6 for the Gatineau or the Ottawa).

http://kipawariver.ca/?page_id=40

--C.

Merci Christian pour la r?ponse!

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2013, 10:21:49 PM »
BTW, it's not the 'Kipawa Lodge', but the 'Kipawa River Lodge' owned by Scott Sorensen. Here's a picture showing it in relation with the last rapid. Typically, beer-drinking early paddlers cheer late paddlers from the cabin balconies overlooking the big rapid...

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:The_Kipawa_river_Lodge.JPG

As you can see, there's a large amount of room for camping. The strange rectangle is what's left of a tennis court. It's perfectly flat and the best spot for tents--and helicopters to land, as we found out last year. It was put there because a certain famous actress would not go to a cabin in the woods, but if there was a tennis court, it was a resort therefore worthy of her presence...

The owner wrote a book about his family's life there:

http://www.amazon.com/Kipawa-River-Chronicles-Scott-Sorensen/dp/096729830X

--C.

Offline robert monti

• CdBMember2016
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-4
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2013, 07:43:39 PM »
Temiscaming is 40 mins away from the put in. If memory serves, we used to get rooms at the Motel Coutu on the main drag. Bar on site. Air conditioned rooms. No bugs.

As for Sandra,  a biking trip like that with mom is a once in a lifetime. The Kipawa festival happens every year. You may never get the chance with Mom again. You will have plenty of future opportunity for the Kip. Missing it this year will mean you will enjoy it even more next.

Offline Jeremy Poulin

• CdBMember2012
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-0
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2013, 06:47:45 PM »
Adam, I THINK there is a motel in Laniel, but the VAST majority of people camp at the Lodge (it is where the party is at, after all)
Like Christian said, go light, and its a joke. I drove up last year (after a work party) got there about 2am, and set up, crashed, and (after getting up wayyyyyy to early) paddled. I literally brought a single cooler of food (and beverages) a tent, sleeping bag and airmatress, with a small back pack of off river clothes. Its easy, easier if you're sharing a tent with someone. I would recommend camping at the fest, and STRONGLY recommend the fish fry.....I thought people were exaggerating, but its great!
Now, Sandra!
WTF?!?! Biking! Over the Kipawa?? The like once a year river! Seriously???
That's all the ribbing I will do here, but be warned, next river I see you at (assuming you still paddle :P) you are getting ribbed to no end!
later
jer

Offline AdamN

• CdBMember2023
  • Class V
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2013, 05:56:10 PM »
Christian,

So there are no motels (in Laniel - I think that's the name of the village).  It's cabin or camping?

Cheers,

Adam

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2013, 05:30:34 PM »
Not sure if I can go or not but,

is this all camping or are there any accommodations such as cabins or motel etc and restaurant.  I haven't quite graduated to kayaking and camping (still just kayaking):-[

And is it drive up Friday, paddle Saturday and drive back Sunday or what?

Please advise.

Cheers,

Adam
Ok... Typically, drive Friday (with optionnal Lower Petawawa run along the way), paddle Saturday and repeat same run again Sunday (if not hungover), then drive back. Shuttles need to be arranged (the shuttle distance is longer than the river!). Safety equipment, spare paddle etc. recommended. Water is warm, but run is long so a dry top still useful, if not only as a protection from deer flies...

The river itself is big rapids in deep water, large wave trains, a few holes to avoid if you can, and typically only one move required to negociate each rapid. Large pools of water to collect kayaks, swimmers etc. after each rapid. As I wrote, it is one of the best INTERMEDIATE rivers in North America, it is NOT an expert-level river. Last summer, many in creek boats did not get their hair wet. In a playboat, however, things can be more, say, interesting...

At the take-out (right at the last and big rapid): the festival headquarters; large cabins are available on a first-come, first-serve basis, i.e. most likely all booked by now. However, camping on lodge ground is nice, with access to cabin bathrooms, kitchens, sauna etc. I have always camped there, and avoided the bugs by partying with the people in the cabins. Bugs are not a problem late at night and in the morning.

There is also camping in the village at the put-in, with possibly fewer bugs but no entertainment. There is a corner store there however. Restaurants? Perhaps in nearby villages, but I always brought my own food. Dinner on Saturday can be included in festival fee, worth it IMHO: fish fry, freshly caught from the lake. If you drive Friday, you eat dinner along the way. So it's mainly breakfast and lunch that needs to be brought.

Typically, folks camp at the take-out (Google 'Kipawa Lodge'), bring food and lots of 'refreshments', and long pants+bug protection. Mud boots an asset if rain is forecasted. It is 'car-camping', not kayak camping (!!!), so you bring normal camping gear, but keep in mind that parking at the lodge is up a steep hill from the camping area, so lightweight camping is a plus... Usually, after running the river, people don't want to make the trip up and down the hill unless they have to (i.e. they forgot the beer cooler in the car).

Does this help?

--Christian
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 05:39:14 PM by ChristianG »

Offline AdamN

• CdBMember2023
  • Class V
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2013, 04:39:34 PM »
Not sure if I can go or not but,

is this all camping or are there any accommodations such as cabins or motel etc and restaurant.  I haven't quite graduated to kayaking and camping (still just kayaking):-[

And is it drive up Friday, paddle Saturday and drive back Sunday or what?

Please advise.

Cheers,

Adam

Offline Sandra K

• CdBMember2022
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-3
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2013, 04:04:00 PM »
Err...it is a painful enough decision without you teasing me!!  :P  I really question myself when I choice bike tour and my Mom over paddling the Kipawa. What has gotten into me??

I hope the mosquitoes carry you away!

Offline lafreniere.luc

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +13/-3
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2013, 03:51:35 PM »
Let me get this right, the person asking about who's going now bails? Ok there "Ryan" ;) bazinga!

Offline Sandra K

• CdBMember2022
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-3
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2013, 03:31:05 PM »
Go!! I promise that it will be a highlight of your summer... (I am out this year, but hope to go next year!!)

Offline Peter Kayaky Karwacki

• CdBMember2013
  • Class I
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2013, 02:33:58 PM »
Hello,

Thanks for the interest on the CDB board abut the Kipawa River.

This year we will have Tshirts, and for the first time, hats too.

I'll be bringing up fireworks as well for Saturday Night, and of course, the AGM after the first fry.

We have secured the water release as per usual.

See you all up there.

Pete