Author Topic: Kipawa June 21-23  (Read 7648 times)

Offline Dani

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-1
  • Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
Re: Kipawa June 21-23
« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2013, 09:29:11 AM »
Luc does not like my face. He only films me when I'm upside down...
Otherwise, yes, I agree, great video, Luc, and thanks for posting!
Dani

Offline AdamN

• CdBMember2023
  • Class V
« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2013, 09:11:52 AM »
Great video Luc!

Offline lafreniere.luc

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +13/-3
« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2013, 05:46:52 PM »
Anyone interested, my post is now up along with a video. http://onlineluc.com/blog/2013/6/26/kipawa-river-festival-video

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +5/-6
« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2013, 04:17:43 PM »
Hey...

This year there was much more water than normal (approx. 138 m^3/s). According to Wayne Donison, who's been there almost every year, that was the highest he'd seen at the festival.  It was really nice to see Larry and Dani have a crack at the 'big' rapids! Our little group had (almost) 100% success in Rock'n'Roll, which was big and fun--this river does start with a bang. Saturday I am quite sure my boat became completely airborne after going through a huge rooster tail, just to land in fast green water (I thought of Alice, going through the mirror, or maybe a circus cannonball man). Sunday for some reason we went further right, and most uf us hit a vertical wall of water that felt like an elevator, or a catapult!

...And the river finishes with an even bigger bang too: Hollywood was really impressive, with no exposed rocks--but strange black 'waves' at the bottom that had a tendency to stop you rather rudely... Imagine the nastiest, muddiest, steepest portage, then you walk (or slide) down a steep muddy bank to put-in directly in the rapid, one boat at a time. You can't see the rest of the rapid, it goes down steep and veers to the left. You have to paddle really hard to the left, in water completely white--no green tongues--with 3-4 foot waves hitting from all directions without warning. If you succeed in moving far enough left, then the 'green highway' appears: a crazy ride to the bottom, the rapid has so much slope that you can punch through anything by then (except the 'black' waves...). This rapid took its usual toll, but Larry and Luc styled it with no (apparent) effort on Sunday.

However, the real beasts with fangs this year were Buttonhook and Elbow... For one, not hard enough to the right, for the other, not enough to the left... In Elbow, as in Hollywood, after a tough portage you put-in at the top of the rapid, no scouting: you just know that you need to paddle to the left to catch an eddy around the corner. How hard left do you need to paddle? Let's say that Dani's rides were entertaining, for us and for her we hope...

The rest of the river offers amazing rapids, some flats to catch your breath and on the gossips. Of note was Zipper, which did not disappoint. The real fun is to drive towards the last wave, the biggest one on the river, and try to get some air time.

I say that Dagger Nomads, Jackson Zens, Karmas and Villains have passed the test. Liquid Logic Jefes on the other hand apparently got an F....

Finally, the bugs weren't too bad, even if it rained the whole time almost.

--C.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 04:30:43 PM by ChristianG »

Offline Dani

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2013, 12:08:04 AM »
Survived! Special thanks to Luc, Christian, Jacques, and Larry - I would still be swimming without you...
Another wonderful CdB tour.
Looking forward to next year - lots of time to improve my bracing.
Dani

Offline ChristianG

• Administrator
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +5/-6
« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2013, 04:47:42 PM »
This should be a lovely drive. Tentative plans are that Jacques and I would leave mid-morning, possibly at the same time as another group of canoeists. We are debating running the Petawawa Town section along the way as a warm up.

--C.

Offline larrym

• CdBMember2023
  • Class III
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-0
« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2013, 06:54:29 PM »
I would like to come for the Kipawa trip.

I am able to drive if necessary and would be happy to bring others.  I am able to leave shortly after noon on Friday and would like to come back Sunday evening.

Larry McNaughton
613-723-1240

Offline bastien86

• CdBMember2012
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-1
  • Whitewater KAYAKinG is too Funny! playboat my love
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2013, 07:13:25 PM »
Yahooooooo Kipawaaaaaa

Offline Dani

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2013, 02:58:36 PM »
Thanks for letting me know. I'll only be able to join if I find a second driver. Ideally, I would like to decide today, then I could still cancel my reservation for the Jackson Karma.
Dani

Offline lafreniere.luc

• CdBMember2022
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +13/-3
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2013, 12:57:07 PM »
Daniella, I just saw your post! Sorry about that.

Annie was a little faster than you. We've already got plans to carpool. With multiple boats, camping gear and food, we're pretty full. I hope you can find someone else to carpool with!

But yes, our plan is to head out after lunch Friday and come back Sunday night after a run down the river.

Offline Paul Potvin

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-2
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2013, 08:29:06 AM »
Shitty deal!
Get well soon buddy!
jer

Thanks!

Paul :)

Offline Jeremy Poulin

• CdBMember2012
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-0
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2013, 05:24:24 AM »
Shitty deal!
Get well soon buddy!
jer

Offline Paul Potvin

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2013, 10:16:59 PM »
You broke a paddle FLAT water paddling?
Sounds like a story here.....
jer

Bad flatwater session, hard to get back to shore, shoulder and arm not working, then nearly died of suffocation trying to get out of drytop with bad arm (not a joke, I saw stars), plus when I got to the car, noticed that my paddle blade was cracked right through down the middle for no apparent reason = Bad Karma! Need GOOD KARMA.......NOW....PLEASE!

Paul:)

Offline Jeremy Poulin

• CdBMember2012
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +1/-0
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2013, 05:21:41 PM »
You broke a paddle FLAT water paddling?
Sounds like a story here.....
jer

Offline Paul Potvin

• CDB Executive
  • Class V
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2013, 04:54:27 PM »
Unfortunately, I don't think I'm civilized enough for the very long weekend option - uncivilized work calling.
Anybody planning to leave Friday before the rush hour traffic (but not early in the morning) and ideally coming back already Sunday night? Luc, I think you had similar plans - I promise I won't mention the c-word (but can't guarantee for not laughing tears when you start lecturing about it...).
I now have a Jackson Karma for the weekend, so hopefully no babysitting required this year (Paul, no comments, please - I missed you on the Ottawa, had already studied some basic eastern philosophy for you).
Dani

That's nice of you to say Dani! Thank you but my pitiful attempt at flat water paddling left me with a limp arm and a broken paddle:(. (Bad karma) so I would not have been good to join you guys that day.... If Jacques healer can work his Majic on me too I will join you for the next CdB's outing a weekend of paddling at River Run in mid July! Oh good luck with the Karma whenever you get to paddle it, no pun intended :)

Paul