Author Topic: middle channel  (Read 490 times)

Offline Doug Poulter

• CdBmember2020
  • Class IV
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-0
Re: middle channel
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 10:59:14 PM »
I plan to paddle the Ottawa middle channel on Wed.  So far one other.  This will likely be the 1st of weekly midweek trips there.

We are aiming for:

>1 pm departure

>from my place:
>>297 Lanark Avenue
>>NE of corner of Scott & Churchill, and
>>east of Westboro Beach, Ottawa

>RSVPs to facilitate car pooling / shuttle planning / last minute changes
>>to  ORR-undisclosed-recipients.ye9z@ncf.ca   by Tuesday night or
>>via land line 613 759-8348
>>provide your cell #

Overflow parking is available on the street and down the street at the Westboro Beach parking lot.

NB: Churchill Ave south from Carling to  Byron is subject to delays due to watermain and sewer work all summer, so best to plan to use Island Park or Kirkwood or other north / south alternates.  Kirkwood has both east and west Queensway entrance and exit access.

Possibilities exist to drop off your boat and/or car in the morning, and use the transitway for fast to/from downtown access without parking fees.   Phone for details.

Normally we'll minimize cars, and if appropriate, use just 1 car if everyone reasonably fits, as at this time of year hitch-hike shuttles are usually equally fast or faster than double car shuttles.

By early August, and especially once the sun begins setting earlier, we may aim for a departure 1/2 hour earlier to facilitate sychronizing with drivers offering such lifts.

Bow and stern floatation in your boat is mandatory.

Also bring:
>sun protection
>bug protection, as they can be nasty at dusk,
>water and a snack for on river, and another for on our way home, though the driver always gets the option of a food stop.
>cash for the driver and on the way home food stop, just in case you are not driving.

Hope to see you out!

Offline colby

• CdBMember2013
  • Class II
  • Rescues/Swims: +0/-0
middle channel
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 09:23:23 PM »
Was wondering if anyone is up for paddling the middle of the ottawa during the week say around 530 . I am not the best padddler roll is 70 percent. Just want to get out.